Military General Discharge: Bad? How Many?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by moeman, Jan 19, 2010.

1. moeman

moeman

Helping out a friend who would like to know if a general discharge from the Air Force is common and also if it is bad. I'm under the impression virtually everyone who pulls ther weight gets an "honorable discharge".

Can one look up service records of another (public domain)?

The reason for all of this is the guy his daughter is involved w/ has a lot of characteristics of a pathological liar and has a felony for impersonating a police officer.

He wants to check out his military stories now... He clams a lot!

Thanks!

2. chuckman

chuckman

Generally speaking (no pun intended), general discharges are fairly common. You can receive them after getting NJP for fairly minor offenses.

As far as validating 'stories,' you can ask to see the DD-214 and see if his tales mesh with his units/awards/duty stations.

3. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

From Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge#General
    General

General discharges are given to service members whose performance is satisfactory but is marked by a considerable departure in duty performance and conduct expected of military members. Reasons for such a characterization of service vary, but are always preceded by some form of nonjudicial punishment utilized by the unit commander as a means to correct unacceptable behavior prior to initiating discharge action (unless the reason is homosexual conduct or drug abuse, in which case discharge is mandatory). A commander must disclose the reasons for the discharge action in writing to the service member, and must explain reasons for recommending the service be characterized as General (Under Honorable Conditions). The service member is normally required to sign a statement acknowledging receipt and understanding of the notification of pending discharge memorandum. They are also advised of the right to seek counsel and present supporting statements.

In addition, service members are required to sign documents acknowledging that "substantial prejudice in civilian life" may be encountered under a general discharge.[1] Despite this, some personnel think because the discharge is described as general under honorable conditions, it is as good as or the same as an honorable discharge. Concerning VA disability and most other benefits that is true, however, a general discharge may preclude participation in the GI Bill, service on veteran's commissions, and other programs where a fully-honorable discharge is required.

4. moeman

moeman

what's a NJP?

whats a DD-214? Can one look it up on line?

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Non-Judicial Punishment. Kinda/sorta lower crimes in the military, civilians don't have anything like it. I guess traffic ticket would be close. -eh- somewhere between traffic and a misdemeanor.

Not unless you're family or have a release saying you can look it up.

6. chuckman

chuckman

NJP=Non Judicial Punishment. Any command-directed punishment up to a court martial.

If the gent has signed up at military.com, a lot of that info (DD-214 related stuff) can be found there. There may be other public sites but I don't know them.

One 'trick' is to get as much specific info from the dude. The more he blabs, the more you can catch him as his info has to have some detail and specificity. Then, you go to mil forums (or the AF section of GT) and post...."this guy said that, what do you think?" The been-there-done-that crowd will chime in.

7. gnvdallas

gnvdallas

The DD-214 is the form that describes a service members duty history and awards. It is a required document in order to substantiate claims of discharge status and eligibility for veterans programs, service in a combat zone, etc. Every person who has served has one somewhere. The DD-214 will provide the foundation necessary to determine if the person is full of crap or telling the truth...

8. 220-9er

220-9er

Sounds like your friend already knows the answer to his own question. Pathological liar, felony, bragging about military history but has a general discharge. Now, what to do about it?

9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

10. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I would tell him to try to convince his daughter that this guy is nothing but trouble.

Those in the military who often have accomplished a lot don't really talk about it. The felony thing is definitely a NO GO!

11. deadday

deadday

A general discharge shouldn't be cause for too much concern....is this someone your friend is considering hiring? General means there may have been some problems during the members service, but none that led to any serious consequences.

eta- just noticed the part about the daughter...if the guy has shown himself to be a liar, she should really reconsider any involvement with him..

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Not someone that your daughter should be involved with.
    I suspect the claim of having a General Discharge is a lie also.

Of the guys I saw get General Discharges, if I had a business I would not employ them in any capacity and definitely would not want them dating my daughter.

13. moeman

moeman

The bummer is she married the guy and has a 1 y.o. kid w/ him... I agree that impersonation of an officer is REALLY bad. Hell, a DUI is a lot easier to explain isn't it?

What we would like to do w/ this guy is tempered by the marriage and kid... Otherwise, we would like uncle Guido to pay him a visit and after a "discussion" he would "voluntarily" get out of her life.

We are looking for more ammo to have him caught in more lies since he had at one point "come clean" about everything but then more and more crap has been discovered.

14. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

A general discharge is the second most common military discharge. An honorable discharge is the best to have, General with honorable conditions is #2, but still a BIG RED FLAG. It usually means he messed up and took a discharge to avoid punishment or worse.

If it smells like a scumbag, talks like a scumbag and acts like a scumbag

it's a scumbag.

(I've known a few people who got a GD who did not deserve one, but they are rare. People who join and are just not compatible with military service are great examples. Fine people who just don't belong in the service. This guy you are talking about specifically sends off all the wrong alarm bells and should be avoided!)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  15. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

Keep in mind that when it comes to NJP, its really an objective matter. Different commanders will handle the same incident differently, for one reason or another. One may choose to go the formal route and file article-15 papers while a good commander will leave it with an *** chewing instead. Also, receiving NJP does not mean you're a criminal. It means that you violated some army, navy, marine, af or cg rule or regulation and the dimwit in charge or was offended is not from the old school but rather a SNAG (sensitive new age guy).

Military Justice is an oxymoron just like Military Intelligence

16. paul45

paul45

I'm sorry to be harsh, but in my 8 years in the USMC.......it was the @#$%birds and non-hackers who got general discharges.

17. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

Although General discharges are common, the more common are Honorable. I have seen a few get the General, but they were not the cream of the crop. I have also seen general discharges for the ones that couldn't make it through basic training. If I new of someone with a General discharge it would change the way I thought about them. I also believe that general discharges are not entitled to the same benefits.

18. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

IF he is archived, might be here:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/

But only certain categories are archived.

19. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

People generally need to screw up good to get less than Honorable Discharge under Honorable conditions. General Discharge frequently indicates that someone tried to get out of their Service contract. An Undesirable, Bad Conduct or Dishonorable Discharge indicates a real scumbag.

20. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Keep this in mind; I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that many applications still ask you to explain if you have military service and have anything OTHER than an Honorable Discharge.