Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have purchased several firearms and ammo from Cabelas in the past 3 years and have been given a 5% military discount. Was reading today and discovered the military discount no longer applies to guns or ammo and a few other things. Emailed them about it since my wife & I are both looking at another pistol or two this spring. They wrote back and yes indeed their policy has changed. Mail order seems to be a better & better option these days. Just wondered if anyone was privy to why the policy was changed. Maybe the merge with Bass Pro had something to do with it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never bought guns from them, so can't help you with that.

However! you are active duty or retired military with ID, look for a local Blue Label dealer, you can probably beat their price.

Good luck

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
I bought a bunch of XM193 from them a couple months ago and they gave it to me. When did they start this new policy?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
This isn't directed at "you", but more generally.... (short rant to follow)

When did it become a thing to ASK for a military discount? I served many years ago in the Army. More recently as a LEO. Back in the day, if you received a discount for a service, you accepted it after asking to pay the regular price. At the very least you accepted it but never asked ahead of time.

Times have apparently changed. The last few years I have worked part time in a LGS/Range. I can't count the number of times that people ask for a discount for military service. Even becoming upset when none is forthcoming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not active military but am a veteran and life member of the DAV. My wife and I bought 4 glocks in the last two years. Could only use the discount on the two in my name which is only fair. My last purchase was just last November of the M&P 2.0 compact. Got the 5% military discount and just last week received the $50 rebate for military, law enforcement etc.personel. So the policy has just changed. I was at their website and at the very bottom is a link to their military discount program. I clicked on it and read the new policy. That’s when I emailed them and they confirmed the policy change. I have only bought guns from them because every once in awhile they send out a coupons for so much off a purchase and then with additional military discount, it became a good deal, plus I get points on my Cabelas card to be used for future purchases. All in all a good deal. Losing that 5% on a $500 pistol sucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just read the last post. I just turned 70 this month. Served in the Navy during Vietnam and almost every seviceman was treated like crap back then. After I got out I never told people I was a veteran. But times have changed and people treat vets much much better today. I do not expect to be given a discount but it was a nice perk kinda like the senior discounts some places offer.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
This isn't directed at "you", but more generally.... (short rant to follow)

When did it become a thing to ASK for a military discount? I served many years ago in the Army. More recently as a LEO. Back in the day, if you received a discount for a service, you accepted it after asking to pay the regular price. At the very least you accepted it but never asked ahead of time.

Times have apparently changed. The last few years I have worked part time in a LGS/Range. I can't count the number of times that people ask for a discount for military service. Even becoming upset when none is forthcoming.
Actually, they asked me - I didn't ask. :) I'm kind of like you in that regard. This particular Cabelas is within a few miles of a base and I was told that it is also one of the first to carry certain "tactical items" as a test market. There are many other businesses in the area who ask their patrons.

Reactions: TeaDub

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, i didn’t even know about the military discount program until one time I went in wearing my Navy veteran hat and the greeter at the front said to be sure and ask for the discount. So I asked about it and it was great while it lasted. Probably too many people abused it or something.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Have purchased several firearms and ammo from Cabelas in the past 3 years and have been given a 5% military discount. Was reading today and discovered the military discount no longer applies to guns or ammo and a few other things. Emailed them about it since my wife & I are both looking at another pistol or two this spring. They wrote back and yes indeed their policy has changed. Mail order seems to be a better & better option these days. Just wondered if anyone was privy to why the policy was changed. Maybe the merge with Bass Pro had something to do with it.
You didn't read this, obviously:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/please-do-not-post-off-topic-threads-in-this-forum.1603003/

·
Registered
975 Posts
:agree: Yup. I had a VA hearing test last week and went to the Cabela's store afterwards. Didn't stick around long since I had to get back home to my LGS where my Steyr STg77 was waiting for me to pick up but I did notice the prices. Nothing I would call any kind of deal to be found. The skillet and CCW purse my girlfriend wanted I got way cheaper online with free shipping and no tax. Speaking of sales tax, you realize that in most states sales tax is going to be over 5% anyways so at best you are still going to be paying slightly more than their sticker price anyways. Take my new STg77 for example. With the rifle and a few other goodies I ordered with it, (gotta have the bayonet lug just to piss off the haters) it was around $2,000 with free shipping. My FFL charged me $20 for the FFL fee. That's far cheaper than Cabela's would have sold me the same rifle (if they even stocked them) and then there would still be $162 in sales tax. So yeah. a no-brainer there. Far better to just do my shopping online and they can keep their military discount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts