close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military Decision

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lefty7226, Dec 3, 2012.

1. lefty7226

lefty7226

My son has decided that he wants to join the Marines. We are super proud of him and think he would make a fantastic Marine. I have a question though. He is (6) classes away from getting his associates degree at a community college. His degree will be in Criminal Justice. I have told him that he should finish what he has started and get the Associates before he joins. I am interested in opinions on this issue?

What would you all tell your 20 year old child? He really wants to join now.

Will the Associates be of any benefit to him in the Marines?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. And Thanks to all of you that have served in any capacity. God Bless.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

He should finish school.

If he wants quicker advancement, he should join the Army.

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I may be incorrect but I am pretty sure an Associates degree doesn't cut it to be a Marine officer. Finishing the degree is never a bad idea. I personally am very proud of a friend's son who just a half hour ago stopped by in his dress blues, two days home from Boot Camp and a brand new Marine. I gave him the Eagle Globe and Anchor my Drill Instructor handed me the day I graduated, and a gold plated coin with the Marine Corps Seal on it. He handed me his Crucible coin and a fistful of dirt from MCRD San Diego. Proud of that young man.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Welcome to GT sir. He needs to finish school 1st. There will plenty of time for him to join up and go over there which is an armpit of the world. After all the time I spent in the Army I try to tell the young bucks check out the Coast Guard.

5. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

6 classes is 1 semester. It won't be fun, but bootcamp won't be much fun either.

Finish the degree, the Marines will still be there in 6 months.

6. raven11

raven11

Finish school, I think the Army gives out E-3 for a associate degree, don't know about the Marines

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. Harley6133

Harley6133

Finish school. Add 2 short years then gone Marine Corp as an officer. This would be a life changing event. 2 years is not that long.

USN Chief Petty Officer

8. Southmansfield

Southmansfield

The easy answer is finish the degree.

However, if he wants to join now, go ahead. He won't use an associates degree in the Marines, and he can always go back later on GI Bill.

9. Averageman

Averageman

Finish School and Become a Warrant Officer. I believe you can do that with an AA Degree.
    Warrant Maintenance is a pretty good field and it is a skill that will make you 70+ K when he retires.

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Six (6) more courses? That's (at most) the upcoming Spring semester and a couple of classes over the summer. As someone already said, the Marine Corp will still be around come September 2013.

Besides, tell your son the Marines don't expect their people to start something (like schooling) and not finish it. Complete the Associate degree as a point of pride.

11. cesaros

cesaros

Yes, FINISH SCHOOL!

Too often young men/women come into the military thinking they will have time to finish education, only to find out, those last few classes will take 3 years to complete due to training/deployments/work.

I wen't through the same thing 5 years ago when I joined the military at 18. I wanted in NOW, and didn't finish my education. 5 Years later, I still don't have my associates because its so high tempo now-a-days.

However I will be finishing school next year (for my associates, in Criminal Justice).

But, he will do whatever he wants to do...no matter what you tell him. All you can do is feed him the facts, and let him choose.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

By all means finish his education and go in the military as an Officer.

I joined the USMC (1955) when I was 17. Made Sergeant.

Later I managed to become a Army Warrant Officer (pilot).

I wouldn't take anything for my USMC experience but I definitely liked being a Officer better than being an enlisted man.

Pay was better to.:)

13. cesaros

cesaros

Now a days, education is becoming more and more important.

10 years ago, you could make it to E8 without college..

Now, its transitioning to where you could be required to have a Bachelors before promotion past E7.---Not sure about Marines, but thats how the Air Force and Navy are headed.

14. blackjack

blackjack

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Finish the AD, get into the military (regardless of service) as enlisted. Have the military pay the rest of the way while in the service. An AD isn't going to get a commission if that's what he's considering. Get on the road to a BS/commission/or go OCS, but there are educational requirements. Do some research on this.

16. lefty7226

lefty7226

These comments are fantastic. What a great resource you all are. My wife and I are both extremely happy with all the advice. Thank you all.

17. glock30user

glock30user

Finish school first. He will probably want a bs or ba later and it will only make it easier. Education is also another bullet on evals to help him stand out.

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

USMC 0311 here.

Finish school. If he only finishes the associates now it will make it easier to get a BA or BS while he is in. If he wants he could try to go mustang then and become an officer with the BA/BS

He could finish a BS and apply for OCS after.

He could finish the associates then go ROTC, finish the BS and get commissioned.

He could finish the associates, enlist then a BS and just stay enlisted.

With a degree he could enlist then look into Warrant Officer programs.

But the point is, finish the associates. He is so close.

19. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

An associates degree will get him E2. He can finish the rest while on active duty. I completed my first BA while on active duty in the infantry. It was very difficult, but it can be done. There are a ton of programs in the Marine Corps if he wants to become an officer as well. There are more opportunities in other branches of the service, but if someone wants to be a Marine you really don't do it for the reason most others join different branches of the service. Good luck with whatever he choses.

20. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

4 year degree, PLC, OCC, or NROTC and get commissioned. If he doesn't, don't worry about it, I got the same recommendation and didn't listen either.

I was accepted to college and went the next day to enlist in the Marine Corps as an 03XX. In hindsight, I am very grateful to have the experiences that I have, but after 12+ years in, I am still 4-5 years behind others that are my age that just went officer in the first place instead of getting accepted to an enlisted to officer program.

Another thing is the enlisted to officer program is fairly competitive, you are currently required to be a Sergeant to apply (5 years+ TIS for some MOS's), and being older than 28 when you commission is usually not seen as desirable. I have met plenty of folks that applied multiple times and weren't accepted. Some got out and went into the reserves, then did PLC anyway. If he is like I was at 19, he won't care about any of that stuff I just typed in the last two paragraphs though. I didn't even care that my college credits got me PFC, but I should have. I just wanted to join. Just keep in mind, when you enlist, it isn't just one day you decide you want to pursue a commission and then bam you are at OCS and in college again.