close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military Careers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AA11285, Feb 16, 2010.

1. AA11285

AA11285

Hey all! I graduated college a couple years ago (Bachelors degree in Finance) and I've been working in Banking ever since. I don't have to tell you all that times are tough in banking, but most importantly, I don't feel I'm fully satisfied with my career choice. I've always been intrigued by the military as it gives you a chance to travel, see knew things and serve the greater good. What kind of oportunities are there out there for a twenty-something, in decent shape, with a bachelors, in the military? I should mention I don't feel I'm cut out for combat :upeyes: To give you an idea, I caught "A Few Good Men" on the dish the other day and I really liked the concept of being a lawyer (I've been contemplating law school) and a military officer; what a kick-*** combination :supergrin: Any ideas?

2. prism

prism more ammo

you can be a finance or contracting officer in the military.

3. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

4. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

5. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

could always be a finance officer

6. Stompy

Stompy

Apply for a position with the CIA or NSA. The jobs are interesting, and the travel can be fun.

HINT: Learn a little morse code. I've seen it used as a weeding out test for applicants.

7. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Do the military a favor and don't join. :upeyes:

8. Aurora

Aurora

I would be careful about what you choose to do in the military. Some jobs transfer over well into the private sector and some don't.

For example; my senior NCO's always told me to get a civilian lawyer if I ever got into trouble. The military lawyers were not viewed too well by those who knew the system.

The possibility of romantic travel (so to speak) is also very limited for certain jobs. More often than not, you end up doing a less proficient version of your civilian job with a whole lot of BS added to it.

Choose carefully. Personally, I would go for the adventure.

V.

9. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

Go talk to a recruiter, an officer recruiter. I'd leave out the part about not being fit for combat. I'd hope you were joking about that. If you meant you didn't want to be an infantry platoon leader - don't worry, very few of those jobs available. There are plenty of "remf" type jobs available.

10. 757CC

757CC

"I should mention I don't feel I'm cut out for combat :upeyes:"
    If you feel this way you should do yourself and the military a favor and look into another career. Look at the current situations the US has/is in you can expect to deploy to a war zone if you zone the military.

11. skalve85

skalve85 Oscar Mike

Thats funny!

Seriously though, keep in mind atleast in the Marine Corps, every officer is a platoon commander....so your likely to see some type of combat or deployment. Yes I've seen this first hand...

12. Jon_R

Jon_R

If you are interested in legal talk with a recruiter about going to law school on the Government's money. You will have to make a commitment for x number of years of service once you complete school but these types of programs exist. 4 years of law school then probably 6-8 years commitment in the military. You may even be able to do your time in the reserves.

If you don't want to be in combat that is fine. The people in combat need people to help them. There are a lot of Docs, Nurses, Priests, etc... that don't purposefully fight but their service is very valuable.

13. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Give me a break. A very small percentage of military folk ever actually experience combat. I retired after 24 years, with nary a minute in a war zone.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

How many planes in an aviation platoon, and who flies them?

Does the JAG platoon do hasty or deliberate ambushes?

j/k, but not every USMC LT goes to command a platoon.

15. slaytera666

slaytera666

I'm pretty sure this guy is not USMC quality from his post.

16. Swiper

Swiper

Don't make a career choice from what you see on TV. :supergrin:

17. Ralff

Ralff

This. Just because you aren't dodging bullets doesn't mean you aren't serving your country. Someone's gotta get those planes in the air, bombs on target, etc.

18. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Are you one of those people that never deployed and had the pleasure of retiring with several degrees because you had so much time on your hands?

19. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Every single Marine LT is trained to lead a platoon because any Marine LT can find himself leading a platoon. That is the jist of the point. If you know you aren't cut out for combat, why pretend just because your life isn't satisfying?

In case you weren't aware. Planes are flown into hostile situations in hostile territory and sometimes those planes require air bases that can still be prone to attack. And JAG officers may easily find themselves entrenched in a combat unit.

20. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

You must of retired during the cold war era because now a days they are sending Soldiers down range multiple times within a 4 year span.

Or you could of been in the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard. Not to pick on the other services but I only saw a small percentage of these Joes in a "Combat" zone.

Kuwait does not count as a Combat zone, Technically it does, but you know what I mean.

But if you recently retired and never hit a combat zone in the Army, Damn. How did you do it?