Mike!!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Off the wall question: Missy was rescued at a few days old. We never found any trace of a mother. We are assuming she was feral. Is it possible that although Missy was socialized and "tamed" that she could be reverting back to feral?

She is starting to get aggressive! She lashes out for no reason. She has always been "ill" but this is flat out scary sometimes.

Could the feral nature be the problem? If so, there is nothing I can do to help that I fear...

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I'm not sure when Mike is going to be back. I hope soon, but I might be able to help.

Have there been any changes in the house? New pet? Schedule changes? New people? etc...

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Hiya, Blinky! :wavey:

Is Mike OK? I pray he is! :)

No, nothing has really changed. She has been territorial for a few months now and we have been trying to re-establish alphaPERSON with her. I posted about it earlier. Now she is resorting to aggressive behavior.

The new kitten has been here over six months. That is the newest thing. Not once has she went after her-she will groom her when she thinks nobody is watching. Schedule is roughly the same. No new people. I can't think of a thing that has changed in Missy's world.

We have been having litterbox problems with her---she doesn't want to share. She spends a lot of time locked up so the others can use the box. Before it was just spitting and blowing at the others. She has lashed out at them a few times over the box. She has also attacked without any provocation for nothing: no food, toy, litterbox, bug, treat or anything was involved. So far she hasn't physically lashed out at the humans but she has left a three inch gash in Iggy's back. Note: they are both declawed so she had to do it with her teeth! She is growling and spitting at the humans some. The thought of her hurting one of the others when we aren't home is pretty bothersome.

4. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Wow MK :shocked:
    Sounds like you got a real live feral cat in your pride.

This may sound weird but leash train her. Just like a puppy, keep her on the leash attached to YOU whenever you are home. She no longer gets free reign at any time. I forget if you used the squirt gun with her or not, but if you haven't now is the time to lock and load with 50% white vinegar and water. Shoot for the face shot.

Make sure you are controlling everything in her life, movements, space, feeding, potty, playing, everything.
    It sounds like a super dominant cat you have so drastic measures need to be taken before somebody gets scratched up good.

Thanks for pinch hitting Blinky, I only had to stay in the hospital a few days last week. The docs tell me, I'm good as new, except for that old heart thing.:upeyes: :supergrin:

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am gonna pinch her head off :soap:

I am going to get her leash now...she is so gonna love this. All you have to do is put it on and it breaks her spirit.

You take care of that heart! :hugs:

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK, she is leashed and sitting next to me now. Boy is she baulking :supergrin:

So, do I need to pet her/talk to her? Or just keep her next to me and "ignore" her?

I am taking her with me from room to room. She is stubbing up and refusing to come so I am practically having to drag her with the leash. No, I am not hurting her at all but she is not going to come along with me willing.

7. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I do what I can.

Well, it's gald to hear that your out of the hospital. Hope you get to stay out of there for a while.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Right now, I would say to not give any affection. She needs to submit to you first and earn your affection. It may take awile but she will submit.

9. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

+1
    She needs to do something for your attention (to earn it). Come to you, even if only a few feet the leash allows, paw, high five, something, anything before praise. Don't give praise away for free. It is very valuable, treat it as such.

From the other thread

Isolate her with a crate instead of a door.
    Feed her on the leash, if it takes days, it takes days. You are offering her food, if she is more stubborn then you, she wins.
    Also, don't "sweeten" the food by adding stuff to it. Use whatever food she has been on and wait her out. You can win. You will win.

That leash thing is a kicker ain't it. :supergrin: :hugs:
    Doin the best I can with the heart stuff, thanks. :thumbsup:

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

So I need to quit putting her in the bathroom and use the carrier instead? It is plenty big enough for her to stretch out in. She will be ok in it without water or litter?

Right now she is only getting affection when she comes and then it isn't much. I feel so guilty...I talk to her a little and pet her head but I don't pick her up and hug her like she is asking for. Yes, you read that right. She likes to be hugged, she will shake hands, give me five and play dead (won't play dead on demand tho). I know she is trainable or she wouldn't have learned all this!

I leashed her tonight and led her to the litterbox. She has a small box in the bathroom but won't use it. Instead of using the box, she laid down in it!!! Then I take her to eat and she laid down beside the food. I gave her five minutes then put her back in the bathroom without the leash with a bowl of food that I removed after ten minutes or so.

She always sleeps with me. She spent last night in the bathroom. The only time I allowed her on my bed was with the leash.

I feel like such a bad human.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

You better! :hearts:

12. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Don't feel bad for her. You're projectiong weak energy and she can sense that. Animals will only submit to a calm assertive leader. Trust me, you're doing the right thing for her and for the rest of the house.

:hugs:

She'll be fine in the crate. I know you feed them a quality food, so she'll need to go to the bathroom less anyway. After I switched my cat over to Nutro, he went for crapping 2-3 times a day, to once a day.

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK, she goes in the crate.

Now, I am going to the vet to get me some valium to deal with her sad eyes... :sad:

Do I need to put the crate where she is away from the other cats? Fred and Itty Bitty want to play and patty-foot under the door. I know they will do the same with the crate door.

14. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

I'm gonna start sounding like Blinky's pet parrot here, but, be confident. Even if your not sure of what your doing, know DAMN WELL it will work. A lot of what you feel, your gang picks up. If you NEED a hug from this nasty kitty, she will feel obliged to give you one. That gives her power. If you need a hug pm me, I'm happy to help.:hugs: :hearts:

Leave the crate in the open where she can see what she is missing.

15. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

lol... You be the parrot? HAH! I'm learning more from you then you are form me, Captain Mike! :tongueout:

oh yeah, and I'll be happy to help in the hug department too.
    :hugs:

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK. Crate in the living room after the fireworks tonight. Hmmm...or that could be THE fireworks :rofl:

This morning I found Iggy asleep on one of the chair arms. Three days ago, before exile in the bathroom, she would never have relaxed enough to sleep there. At least there is progress with one of them!

Missy cried all night. Fred and Itty Bitty found it their duty to try to fix it through the door. We didn't let them in, or Missy out.

How long before I can see a change in Missy?

I may be needing hugs before this is over! :hearts:

17. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ok, this we need to stop. Use the water or bang on top of the crate. I would suggest bringing it into the bedroom for easier corrections. Don't put up with anything, it's your house and your rules.

How long before a change? Depends on how well you were trained before and how stubborn you are going to be now.:supergrin: :hearts: :hugs:
    YOU CAN DO THIS! :drillsgt: :cheerleader: :banana:

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

She has been in the crate about an hour now, in the living room with the other humans and kitties. So far, she is as happy as a little clam in there. I did give her a fleece throw to lay on that smells like me but other than that, she has nothing but air.

She did eat tonight, but only a little, while leashed. She is starting to growl at me when I tug her instead of just going limp. She just sits in the litter box with her head down and won't use it. I told her, "ok, you can hold it until morning" and put her in the crate.

Oh, would now be a good time to mention I ain't fully housebroken? :supergrin:

19. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Your doin fine MK
    It's best if you can leash her up to you when home. Solitude is just a vacation from you if not. But it works great for housebreaking too:supergrin:

Do you need a crate MK?:supergrin: Tied to me for awhile?:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:
    I might like that a little too much.:banana: :hearts:

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am claustrophobic. Just ask that MRI tech that didn't believe me! :rofl:

You know, she seems happy as can be in there.

She meowed once last night. I think; it could have been Itty Bitty talking to her. (She chatters all the time so I am trying to teach her to say "hello." You got any advice for that? :rofl: )

When I get her out and take her to the litter box, she just hunkers down and sulks. She won't go. How long should I wait before getting concerned? She held it for three days twice when she was spayed so I am not too worried, yet. Stubborn! Also, she refuses to drink water. Do I need to give her a small bowl in the crate or just wait her out?

When I get her out, is it OK to let her lay on me like always? Or do I need to call the shots with that, too? Of course, this probably isn't going to be an issue with her sulking :upeyes: