Might've Created a Monster

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Apr 19, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

I don't know what I've done. My 10 year old begged me to lead him through a conditioning workout tonight and he seems to be hooked. He did 100 squat thrusts in 5:38 followed by tabata squats and tabata jack-knives. He was done after that. He's been reading Never Gymless and saw all those explosiveness exercises and is psyched to learn about them.

I'd better study so that I can be a good enough coach!
    DBD

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Sounds like its in his blood!

Keep him hooked and he'll be a machine when he's older!

3. proactive

proactive

That is so cool! That would definitely bring a prideful tear to my eye.

4. DBradD

DBradD

LOL, well going along with the NG basic idea, he did a strength workout tonight. Outside, there's a pullup bar and a dip bar about 50 yards apart. I had him do pullups then walk down to the dip bars and try them. Switched back & forth 7 or 8 times. He did good chinup singles every time, but could only go down about halfway on the dips. Then went on to weighted situps and supermans but he didn't like supermans. I don't blame him. Combine the lack of ROM with that little bone sticking down from my sternum grinding into the floor and it's not a lot of fun. I can feel that thing slipping and grinding into the carpet, ewww.

I did my 2nd most dreaded (behind 100 burpees for time) conditioning workout after that: 4 rounds for time of 30 pushups, 40 situps, and 50 squats. Man, I hate that! 21 minutes of misery.

Am I the only one who feels like he can barely function for about 20 min. after one a workout like that? I chugged down some high GI carbs and some water. After about 20 min., I think that hits my system and I feel like I barely did anything. I think that's weird. Seems to go along with the Paleo for Athletes post workout meal idea, though.

5. proactive

proactive

Yeah, I feel pretty out of it for a bit after a kick a conditioning workout. I've started using Endurox R4 for such an occaision though I've been a bit of a slug this past week; finally getting over this chest cold.

6. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Your kid is impressive! Sounds like one heck of a training partner for a Dad to have. I hope you get to train with him often. :thumbsup:

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

DBD,

Have fun with it man. I have (errr......perhaps MAKE) my 9 year old do sprints with meon Sundays. He's a fast 9 year old and is close to beating my. His headstart has been cut down to about 5'. Dayum I'm getting old.

Jack