Glock Talk banner

Midway has unissued M1 carbine mags - $99

1049 Views 21 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  norton
Reactions: 256673
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
664 Posts
Ridiculous prices. I used to buy them @10/$10 dollars. I guess for a collector that wants something at 100% correct maybe one. But they are out there, new in the wrapper for less then that!
Regards,

· Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,542 Posts
Potterfield is sticking his hand in the customers pocket on this one.

I've been doing business with Midway for many years and have over 160 orders with them. Midway was always my "go to" place to keep my hobbies going as their policy was always to keep the customers happy.

Larry Potterfield is still on the BOD, but daily operations are run by another guy who has been with Midway for a long time. Their focus has changed and is now centered on the Dollar. I hate to say it, but operations now resemble an old favorite of ours: CTD.

I had a disagreement with them over an order and it was obvious that the old Midway customer service ways were dead and gone, along with my status of being a preferred customer!

Flash

· Registered
1,798 Posts
The mags were the weak link in the M1 carbine. They were intended to be used for a week or two then thrown out. Maybe have one for the display case but buy them as cheaply as possible for shooting since the originals are not any more durable.

· NRA Life Member
75,674 Posts
I remember when I bought a surplus M1 Carbine for $99
Yep. My Father's very nice Winchester cost him $150, I think.

The mags were the weak link in the M1 carbine. They were intended to be used for a week or two then thrown out. Maybe have one for the display case but buy them as cheaply as possible for shooting since the originals are not any more durable.
I was thinking the same. The GI magazines always seemed to be crap. I'd be buying some aftermarket ones.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
That’s been the popular opinion ever since that Forgotten Weapons Ken Hackathorn Carbine video.
But, I have to say…
I’ve had two commercial Carbines, and my CMP Inland. GI mags have never given me a single problem whatsoever. Nor have the recent commercial Korean mags. I kind of like the 15rd Carbine mag. Even though I have a few 30rd Carbine mags that work fine, I would be much more likely to stick a 15rd in the gun for serious use.
Plant Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Attachments

· Registered
856 Posts

Actually, the WWII era mags are the best of the lot. If I had a .30 Carbine, they would be my first choice, with the Korean mags being second.

When I had my last Carbine a number of years ago, I bought a good supply of the WWII mags from Sarco, along with several Carbine specific tools. I still have a decent supply of 15 round USGI mags still in the cosmoline wrappers. Maybe I should sell 'em, but will probably keep 'em in case I run up on a nice GI Carbine. One never knows what might show up for sale, and I definitely have an affection for the Carbine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.