close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Midsize vs Subcompact Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Restless28, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I love the Midsize Glock 19 and 23, and I sorta like the Subcompact G26 and 27. I cannot carry at work, but I pretty much do carry often off the job.

Right now I have a G4 23 that works in this role. However, in light of the escalating (it seems) violence, a subcompact has crossed my mind.

I'm really more prepped for 9MM, as I have a nice supply of ammo, than I am .40. I know I should have more .40, but I'm rebuilding my inventory for a coming AK74.

Is he subcompact really that much more "carryable" for you over the Midsize?

2. djegators

djegators

I think it is, my 26 can ride in cargo pants pockets, and when carrying IWB, the shorter grip makes it easier to hide under a t-shirt. I like to keep my options open: my carry guns are a 19, a 26, and a .38 snubbie....but the 26 is taking up space the .39 used to occupy.

3. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Given the identical frame thickness, I haven't found the 27 to be any more comfortable to carry concealed than a 23 when using IWB holster, and the extra 0.50" barrel length is moot given it is in my pants. Where the 27 has the advantage is in grip, so long as you don't use + magazine extensions.

4. Restless28

Restless28

I do sorta like the idea of the ability to pocket carry a holstered subcompact.

5. djegators

djegators

I do admit, there are some pants where the pockets are not big enough, so there is a little less concealability than a snubbie, but much more than the compacts.

6. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I've owned a 19 before I carried, and carried a 26 for years. About to start carrying a 19 again and I'm already self conscious of the extra grip length.

There were times when the butt of my 26 was probably noticeable and the 19 will only be worse. As you already carry the 23 you'd happily have a 26/27.

Never hurts to have more than 1 gun that you can carry, and getting a smaller one makes more sense than another 23/19 sized pistol.

7. Averageman

Averageman

Anyone have a link for cutting a 19 grip down to 26 size?
    I think this is the way I will go.
    Thanks.
    A/M

8. barth

barth six barrels

I've got seven handguns of various sizes and shapes.
    And find I carry and conceal the abbreviated grip sub-compacts the best.

Have a gen 3 G27.
    Mags in four lengths.
    Plus 2 x-grip sleeves.

But I always come back to flush mags to conceal.
    Glock sweetness is you can run long mags in short guns.
    So I'm currently running a flush G33 with twin G31 15 round re-loads.

And if someone says you can't shoot a baby glock well?
    I'd rethink everything they have told you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. djegators

djegators

Agreed, the mag interchangeability is a HUGE plus. Personally, if carrying extra mags, I see no reason to use anything other than 17s.

10. emtjr928

emtjr928

11. djegators

djegators

Have you shot a 26/27 much? I thought the same thing about the grip until I actually put a few boxes of ammo through one. I have large hands, and barely get two fingers on the grip, but I was shocked that I was able to shoot it it practically as easily as a 19.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I like the G26 more than the G19. A bigger magazine and a grip sleev can make the G26 feel more like a G19 but not the opposite. More than a few here report shooting the G26 better than the bigger Glocks.

13. Whtwolf14

Whtwolf14

When I had a G26, I carried it more than my G19. I've had two in my lifetime, and foolishly traded them both. Within the month I'll have another, just trying to decide on a Gen3 or Gen4...

14. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

I like the compacts much better. The subs are too small in the grip for me. And unless you are wearing a skin type muscle shirt, the grip of the compact hides very nice under any shift when you carry IWB.

15. Rustin

Rustin

I went out of my way to trade my G19 for a G26 and I am glad I made the decision. The G26 carries much easier for me and shoots just as well as the 19.

16. Motor City Glocker

Motor City Glocker Gun Addict

I can't shoot a G26 without grip extentions, so if given the choice, I would buy a G19.

17. 1canvas

1canvas

I find it much better to carry the 27 over the 23 and shoot them the same. the big thing for me is I can ankle carry the 27.

18. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

For me the difference in waist carry is night and day. With my G23 in a Don Hume H721OT OWB holster, I have to wear a VERY baggy shirt or a jacket to compensate for the printing of the grip. With my G27 in a Bianchi 3S IWB, all that's needed is a loose shirt. I'm 5'11" 170lbs, and the G27 has no magazine extensions.

I can carry the G27 in a cargo pocket, but I find it to be more trouble than it's worth. I have to put a folded towel into the pocket as padding between my leg and the gun otherwise the gun bumps against my leg with every step.

19. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

I carry my 23 all the time ... I can't remember the last time I carried my 27.

20. Pier23

Pier23

I am going to be the nattering nabob of negativism here...Glocks are too thick for pocket carry, IMHO. For simple concealed work, a .380 or compact 9 is a lot easier to both conceal and carry.

Having said that, I don't have a baby Glock, I have two 23s, a 17 and a 21. A Sig and Kahr are both handier for me to carry concealed. But, YMMV.