Midland County Michigan?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Von Hayes, May 19, 2020.

1. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

Then they will rebuild in the same location and wait for it to happen again.........and collect again. The wheel goes round and round....

Bogart999 likes this.
  2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have property north west of midland and had to go through there right after the dam broke. It was a mess. Took me 3 hours from the time I got to Midland to find a place to cross the river. US10 was shut down as was just about every east/west road. A lot of bridges were out and roads covered with water. Wixom lake which was created by damming up the river was completely empty. It's big, big lake and was completely dry. Over two weeks later US10 is still shut down so I have to take I75 all the way to M61 to get around going through Midland.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

It's a mess. I moved away from midland in 05, and parents moved to clare soon after. I remember the floods from the 80s and 90s. Fished on Sanford and Wixom lake and hung out in the park below the Sanford dam. I have no idea how to actually get around now with the roads that are gone.

5. jmaj

jmaj

I live so close to the US-10 bridges I can feel and hear the pile driving as they repair the spans. One span will open June 4. The second span, which took the brunt of the water and debris hit, should open late June.
    Talked to a contractor buddy and asked what will it cost to replace Sanford and Edenville dams... about 6 or 7 hundred million. And there are more dams upstream that need some major upgrading or replacement to get to the 100% Federal standard. After this catastrophe I can't see half ass measures being acceptable so it's going to be spendy.
    Some enviro types will talk about leaving the river free flowing as all dams are bad, but that's not a realistic option as Midland needs flood control.

FullClip likes this.
  6. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Do you know if the Midland Co-Gen power plant was flooded? Used to work there during construction and commissioning. Had a good time in Midland and hope things get back to normal soon.