close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Middle finger protected by 1st Ammendment??

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 25074, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 25074

25074 "Traveling man"

Check this out...

I'm gonna start using the finger on all the idiots that I deal with at work and then tell them that the courts have established that it is protected by the 1st Amendment and see what they say!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Wow, surprised this is still an issue that makes the papers. But when a LEO flips a citizen the bird, the LEO is being discourteous. Go figure.

4. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Ok, I will be the libertarian here.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it would be ILLEGAL to tell someone to **** off, or gesture the same.

Cops already don't share the same 1st amendment rights. Your policy can require you not to be rude. Just like if the guy flipping the bird had been a commercial driver at work, the employer could have fired him. Just because it is rude/discourteous, etc does mean it should be illegal.

If being an ******* was illegal, I would be a three-striker by now. :)

5. Officer X

Officer X

I've stopped to speak with 3 people who decided to flip me off over the years.

I spent some time speaking with 2 of them and after getting their names, they ended up having warrants.

The other I spent a few minutes talking to and funny, he ended up getting so irate and loud that he went for disorderly conduct. I didn't charge him for flipping the bird, but it drew my attention....

6. spdski

I agree that it draws attention to a person. If they are gonna do stupid **** like flipping off cops they had better ensure that they are in compliance with EVERY applicable code. If you flipped me off and then sped away at 3 miles over the speed limit, we'd be having a chat. God knows I've made a lot of attitude based enforcement decisions.

That being said, if somebody wants to walk around flipping people off, that shouldn't get any less protection than someone walking down the street with a swastika on their shirt, or a picture of Obama with a Hilter mustache.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've done some consensual contacts with individuals who decided to attract my attention in their own special way. Not every one of them appreciated what they brought upon themselves.

8. blueiron

blueiron

The last time someone did that to me, they were cited for improper use of hand signal to indicate left turn.

9. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

Had a guy last week who flipped me (through his front house window) while myself and my partner were across the street serving a warrant.

I just looked over and smiled and this pissed him off even more.....now he later comes out onto his porch when we have our subject of the warrant into custody and he decides to be big man on the block and starting cursing in public.

Yep, arrested for disorderly. I am aware of the finger incident (lawsuit) but that wasn't the basis or reason for the arrest.

I am very used to getting cursed at, fingers or other not so nice stuff being said my way.

It doesn't bother me in the least, worked corrections for 12years I've seen it and heard it all!

My best incident was the guy who didn't want me addressing him by his name (government name as he called it), he wanted me to call him "Dog"!!

Ha ha..... I said in front of his peers....."Do they call you dog because you can lick your own balls??"

There were some expletives hurled my way. My partner almost pissed his pants laughing so hard.

Score 1 for the Po-Po!

G-man
    1*

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Can you light their middle finger on fire as a symbol of protest?

Randy

11. rookie1

rookie1

I drive around in the winter with my windows down just a tad. A young man decided to make a comment about me not using my turning signal and call me a ---hole. He got a nice talking to and the girl he was with walked off embarresed. Working in a college town chances are they have a little alcohol in their system. Good way to make contact and possibly go to jail for intox. Click click, have a seat

12. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

About 7 or 8 years ago a State Trooper in N/W Arkansas was successfully sued for citing a subject for disorderly conduct after receiving a single digit wave. Jury awarded $1500.00.

Like most of you I view it as an action that draws my attention leading me to observe an actual infraction that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed.

13. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

There is a retired detective in my home town that will go out of his way to flip off any officer he sees. He's a good guy, but has been known to create a stir with the rookies. :supergrin:

14. blueiron

blueiron

I have done the same to my former chief. He deserved it.

15. spdski

I know a detective who does it in his unmarked car all the time. His unmarked is a seized mid-90s lexus and he looks like a scumbag. It always leads to good times.

16. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

:rofl: Now that is funny....

17. Malstorme

Malstorme Bad Influence

I got the following in an e-mail over a year ago. I don't know if it's factual or fiction, but it tickled me then (and still does)...

Mals

18. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Absolutely. Inevitably there is some equipment or moving violation to demonstrate why some things shouldn't be done even if it is legal.:supergrin:

19. rookie1

rookie1

I have a feeling my narratives might become similar to this one.

In a college town everything can be handled with a intox arrest after 12am.

20. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

It does seem like a double standard. But being rude at work can get you in a heap of trouble. When you are on duty you are at work wherever you are so no, flipping the bird is off the table for you.

It sucks, but there you have it.