GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some scope recommendations. Most of my shots will be around 50 -75 yards. Since I’ve got some hurricane damage I need to fix, I only want drop $200 max on this upgrade. Open to all magnifications. Any info appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
An intended use would be helpful as that could make a huge difference in recommendation.
I like magnification for any kind of accuracy game.
Trying to stay around your budget is a little tough. Bushnell Nitros are decent and have been deeply discounted recently. Amazon has the 4-16x for $225 currently. Not my first choice, but might be the best bargain around your price point.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have several of the Athlon Neos line on rimfires. The 4-12 and 6-18 have side parallax adjustment down to 10 yards, decent glass, track well and have a lifetime warranty. I tend to like more magnification vs less, but if weight is a major consideration the lightweight Leupold that PEC suggested above would be a good choice.

https://athlonoptics.com/product-category/rifle-scopes/athlon-optics-rifle-scopes-neos/

Looks like Cameraland has some pretty good deals right now.
https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=Athlon neos

·
Registered
80 Posts
I only plink out to about 60 yards with the kids. I just put a Browning reflex sight on my 10 22. I think I got it for $26 shipped. Haven't zeroed it yet. But for purposes it should do fine. I know this doesn't help you, I'm just all looped out on ambien and bored.

·
Huge Member
11,063 Posts
BSA Sweet 22 3-9x AO $70-100 gets good ratings.

I have a couple of Simmons 22 Mag scopes in 3-9x. They work well and are cheap. $70 or so

UTG Bugbuster 3-9x at around $100 or so.

Moving up...The Nikon P22 2-7x is a good mid priced scope. You used to be able to get them for $120-130. Not sure what they run now. Not sure if Nikon is still in the scope business.

Reactions: bambam33

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,786 Posts
Some years ago I purchased 3 Sightron SII 6X42 HBR scopes that were being closed out by I can't remember who for $199 ea. They have fine crosshairs and you can adjust the parallax down to 10 yds. (on objective) I like them on various rimfires that I have although the crosshairs are quite fine and may be hard to see under certain conditions. I don't think they make these anymore.
I recently purchased a Bushnell Prime 3-12 and that has various BDC's with it, including 22LR, and side parallax adj. It's marked down to 30 Yds. I also have a Bushnell prime 3.5-10 with a duplex reticle with holdovers for 22LR at 75, 100 and 125 Yds. It also has 2 elevation knobs that can be installed in either MOA or 22LR BDC with markings at 50, 75, 100 and 125 Yds. These were about $230 and under $100 respectively. I think the 3.5-10 has been discontinued though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
75 yards? You need a lot of magnification. I exchanged a Vortex 2-7 rimfire for a 7-16X40 Vortex Diamondback HP and its borderline at 100 yards. 50 yrds its enough. It has adjustable parallax from 30yds to infinity.

When I was researching scopes I found the single biggest difference between rimfire specific scopes and non-rimfire specific was the amount of MOA adjustment. RF's are 'lobbed' out there especially at far distances, the last thing you need is for your scopes elevation to be max'd out.

For instance, the Vortex 2-7X35 rimfire has 100 moa of vertical adjustment and a fixed parallax of 50yds while the Diamondback 4-12X40 only has 70 MOA of vertical and a fixed parallax of 100 yards.

Another feature is reticle size...Vortex rimfire cross hairs are .3 moa while the cross hairs on my DB HP are .15 or 50% thinner!!! The Leupold Mark AR on my AR has reticles hairs of ~.3-1.7 depending on magnification!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
bambam33, what are you going to do with the scope? The post in front of mine is obviously for target shooting without a spotting scope. One needs a lot of magnification for 75 yards only to see a 0.2“ hole, not a 6” bulls eye, or a varmint.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate everyone’s feedback. It really made me think about the purpose of my rifle. My son is too young to shoot now but I want him to learn on my 1022. I’ve decided to keep it simple and go with the Leupold 4x28mm. I think this model will also be perfect for taking care of varmints in the yard. If I every get the time to shoot longer distances then I will most likely get another 22 with a higher magnification optic. Thanks again for everyone’s responses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Leupold is a great choice, you need a strong scope on 10/22's they like to break crosshairs, a bolt buffer helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts