close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mid level shotgun for skeet, trap , sporting clays?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 20South, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 20South

20South

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent mid tier shotgun for Skeet, Trap, and the occasional Sporting Clay? I have two shotguns currently, one is a Beretta 391 which I love and use for everything from ducks to sporting clays - and then a Rem 870. The reason I am asking is that I have an "opportunity" to "win" this shotgun at a charity event auction for my son's school. There is a friend of mine that is running the auction and he is going to go buy it and donate it for the cause. I already committed to being the winning bid unless it got out of control. Beats the heck out of just writing a check! Thanks in advance!

2. texanredraider

texanredraider

It's tough for me to give a mid range since the trap & skeet guns get pretty expensive. If you're going for more of a field/range gun, I would say a nice shotgun for the money would be something like a Browning Citori or a nice Remington 1100.

3. TheLastBoyscout

TheLastBoyscout

Hands down...Browning Citori

4. 20South

20South

I figured it was going to be about a 2k commitment. I know what you mean about those guns getting steep. If I am going to drop 4k on a gun its going to have a B M and G in the caliber.

5. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog

Check out Lanber http://www.lanberusa.com/. They are Spanish made and are nice guns I own a 2087 28" o/u i use for trap and the field.

6. raven11

raven11

i know what you mean about the price at my skeet field we have a mix of autos or o/u.

if i didn't have the money for a o/u i'd look into getting a good auto shotgun. as strange as it sounds the Benelli auto i used really adsorbs some recoil that was throwing off my shots when i was using a pump

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. 20South

20South

Just looked through them, those are definately nice - but start to get pricey in a hurry. Is there a reason many of the competitive guns are 30"? Is it just for longer sight pic?

8. Manolito1

Manolito1

I am no good at shooting but I keep trying. We bought a Browning Citori and it shoots a lot better than I do.

9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Trap and skeet use very different guns. Trap has longer barrels higher comb and tighter chokes. For a gun that can do all three you are looking for an average hunting gun. Competition guns are very specialized. One to do all is like asking for one car to race the Indie 500 and the Baja 500.

10. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Partially, although it's more about swing than anything else.

You want a gun for everything (at least according to the OP). In that case you need to walk away from the Competition guns; they're built to do one thing only. You will severly handicap yourself using a competition gun for all three sports.

The best compromise will be the "sporting clays" gun, although a standard field will work just as well provided it fits you.

Don't buy an "upscale" O/U, buy a lower tier one and have it fitted. Then go fet some lessons. The money will be well spent.

For all three games your best bet will be a 28" barrel. 30" is slower to turn, although it gives great follow through. 26" is very fast to change direction but can be too quick. Ballistics from all three are to close to make a difference.

Get interchangable chokes. You need 5 minimum (which means you'll need to buy extras). 1 each skeet, I/C, MOD, I/M, and Full. That will allow the maximum flexibility for all the games.

11. space_weazel

space_weazel

Look around I got my Citori used for $700
    [​IMG]

12. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Where do you get a used Citori for $700? :dunno:

13. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

+1...........

14. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

no joke, i want to know too

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

There's no "one size fits all" for your requirements. Different applications require different guns.

[​IMG]

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Excellent explanation and analogies.

17. 20South

20South

Thanks for all of your responses guys. I talked to the donor today and he is thinking Ruger Red Label. I have zero experience with Ruger shotguns. I do not even know anyone with one. Anyone have any thoughts on the Ruger vs. Citori?

18. ctr

ctr

I'd choose Citori over Ruger because it is a better choice for me. Everyone is different. Go to a store and hold a bunch, try bringing the each shotgun up several times. Which one naturally points and aligns for you, which one just feels right. That makes a good starting point, then get the shotgun fitted to you.

Trap & skeet are different games. There is no one best gun, that is why so many of us have more than shotgun. :supergrin:

A plain old 870 can work fine for trap, but takes practice for the doubles. However, there is an older gentleman I know who has no handicap using an older Ithica pump, and he also shoots a very respectable skeet with that same gun.

For a 2k budget, look at Browning, Beretta, and Ruger. Find the one that works best for you. BTW, if you can, find a field that rents or see if you can try someones out at a club shoot. Just a few suggestions.

19. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Beretta White Onyx or a little less, a Black Wing if you can find one. Both under $2K, bot have the Beretta 686 action, one of the best made.

Forget the Ruger. They are less expensive but have cast receivers.

20. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Longer sight plain and better balance with swinging.