close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mid-day break-in while son home alone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr. Niceguy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

As I was sitting in the Denver airport yesterday afternoon, I received a call from my 16 year old son. He sounded out of breath, and obviously had a huge adrenaline rush going.

He told me he was in the bathroom, and heard a crashing sound. He finished his business, thinking the cat may have knocked something off the counter, and came out of the bathroom to see a figure moving in the kitchen. According to his account, he ran into the master bedroom and grabbed my Springfield XD9 SC and chambered a round while shouting obscenities and for the perp to GTFO as he manuvered toward the kitchen. He heard someone running and the back door swinging open violently, and caught another glimpse of what appeared to be a young man high-tailing it through the sunroom and out into the back yard.

Entry was gained through the back door, which was not locked. Two unlocked doors actually - the door from the patio into the sunroom, and one from the sunroom into the kitchen/den area. The crashing sound was apparently a porcelain figurine that was knocked off a shelf in the kitchen, where a couple of bottles of prescription meds also were. A pair of my son's high-dollar tennis shoes were found abandoned on the kitchen floor near the remains of the porcelain figurine.

My son recalls hearing our dogs barking outside prior to the incident, but disregarded it, as our house backs up to a small park, and our dogs regularly bark at other dogs in the park. Anyone who knew the demographics of our neighborhood would have known that it is filled almost entirely with retired couples and single income families, meaning most houses are rarely empty.

Lessons learned:

Living in a good neighborhood doesn't mean a damn thing.

My dogs are apparently not the valliant guard dogs I imagined they were.

Complacency and unsecured entry points are bad.

That park that provides beautiful views and distance between us and the neighbors, also allows any damn body easy access to our back yard.

Teaching my son gun safety, operation, and profficient use beginning at age 3 was a good thing.

Having all guns secured by lock and key would have cost valuable time, and possibly had tragic results.

2. Lampshade

Lampshade

Conversely, the intruder could easily have come across the gun before your son and thus easily armed himself had he not been prior.

3. Mr. Niceguy

I can't argue with that logic, but those are odds I'm willing to play.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

No specific offense intended but to me the most important thing in any house is/are the persons inside. It would seem to me then the thing worth protecting the most with the best security, including locked doors, would be the people. That said glad he was unscathed physically. Safe guess that his call prior to calling you was to 911?

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

I assume he called law enforcement and filed a report.

6. J_Rico

J_Rico

'Easily' is stretching a bit far. I could agree with 'possibly'.

The owner's son knew where the firearm was stored; the intruder would have to get lucky.

To the OP:

Glad your son is okay. IMO you should be proud that he took steps to protect himself and had the good sense to not chase anyone outside.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. Mr. Niceguy

I agree with you completely. As a matter of fact, recently, my son poked fun at me for being vigilant about locking our doors during the day time. I told him that I wasn't paranoid and didn't expect any trouble, but why make it easy on anyone? He didn't see my logic at the time, but I imagine he does now.

And no, he didn't dial 911 first. In his youthful, testosterone-filled machismo, he felt like he had the situation under control. I persuaded him otherwise.

8. Mr. Niceguy

Yes, although the filing of a report is likely all that will come of it.

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

+1

Most mid-day breakin the criminals are looking for.

Cash
    Guns
    Jewerly
    Small Valuables /electronics
    Perscription drugs with a high street value

That bad guy upon entering your bedroom would have made a bee line to

Your nightstand
    look under the bed
    flip the mattress
    Check the closet
    Check your dresser drawers

If your son was a little slower on the uptake that burglar would have been armed, and not your son. Your boy could have been killed or at least held hostage and forced to Maximize the burglar's search for valuables. God forbid if its a 16 year old girl, with an badguy armed with dad's gun. A push button or biometric pistol safe only takes a second to open, and prevents bad things like that from happening.

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Glad it turned out with your son not getting hurt. Stuff can be replaced, though it sounds like the BG didn't get any.

There are ALWAYS alternatives to decisions you make that can lead to different outcomes. Yes, the gun could have been under lock and key and the BG would not have been able to get it. By that same token, your son would not have been able to get it either if he didn't have a key. He also could have just taken the pistol, "holed up" in the bedroom and called the police, but then the BG may have gotten the "drop" on him or someone else who came home not expecting to see the BG.

Overall I'd say he did it right, though I'm no expert. I would keep the doors locked (especially the ones you can't see) and perhaps kick the dog (just kidding) but nobody's perfect.

I keep my doors locked when I am at home just out of habit. However, I am bad to leave the front door unlocked if the main door is open and the storm door is the only one closed, or if I go outside to cut the grass or something. Having a 2-year old has helped break me of this (not that I would leave him inside alone anyway.

11. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

That's why when I have a son, I'll make sure he has a gun ON him when in my house. :supergrin:

Boom! Just beat the odds baby! :rofl:

12. simotek

simotek

Glad your son is ok. Definitely keep the doors locked!

I've had people ask me why I feel the need to carry in my own house. This is why!

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Mr. Peterman?

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Ah, the old "if you have a gun it's more likely to be used against you, so don't have guns" argument. Not at all surprising.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

16. Lampshade

Lampshade

No, its the "keep your guns secured" argument. (Especially if you leave your doors unlocked.)

Nice try though.

17. Mr. Niceguy

Powerful, yet concealable, 16+1 rounds of fire-breathing home protection, integrated trigger and grip safeties. The perfect solution for the wary 2nd amendment enthusiast. Available in XD, XDC, XDSC, and XDM models.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

19. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

This is why we always lock our doors AND have the alarm system armed when we are home.

20. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Same here. It is all about knowing it is happening as early as possible so you have the most time to react.