close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Microtech STG-556

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by UniversalBrow06, Mar 4, 2010.

1. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

What's the report on these? Quality? Reliability? advantages over your typical AR platform (in the same caliber)? How do they compare to the old Steyrs?

I was watching Nut'n Fancy's SHOT Show booth review on one, and the Microtech rep was saying how they're actually better than original Steyrs due to better building components. Of course, that's a rep talking, but they still seem to be built quite sound. And despite their bullpup weirdness... I kinda like the look of them.

[​IMG]

What say you? :dunno:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. mdfd

mdfd

I 've heard nothing but great things about them. I want an E4 version to go w/ all my PMAGs. Unfortunately I have yet to shoot one. I did get a chance to dry fire one to get a feeling of the trigger and it wasn't as bad as other people said they were...

3. msoprano

msoprano

This is probably the #1 gun on my wish list. Haven't fired one yet though.

4. -gunut-

-gunut-

I really like mine. More so then my AR.

Mine has been very reliable with even steel case ammo.

The are easy to break down (quick change barrel makes cleaning MUCH nicer), they have less muzzle rise compared to the AR, balance better, more compact, easier to use larger capacity magazines, adjustable gas system, and they have plenty of after market parts available and more coming out all the time.

Buy with confidence

Here is mine with the 16" barrel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. -gunut-

-gunut-

Not my pic, but shows some of the rail options if you are in to mounting a lot of stuff on your rifle.

[​IMG]

6. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Worse QC than Steyr, but better features, and at half the price. Also, if you get a bad one, MSAR has very, very good customer service and will fix it for you.

7. beretta-neo

beretta-neo

I really like mine - It works great. 100%

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Mine just came in. Going to pick it up tomorrow. My father has one and he's very fond of it. Hasn't missed a beat.

9. phxfa

phxfa

Ive got a green 20 incher for sale, 100 rds thru it

10. IBreakStuff

IBreakStuff

Whats the going rate for an E4?

11. space_weazel

space_weazel

Excellent rifle, excellent quality, and customer service is in the amazing category. Over on ARRFCOM you can find MSARDave in the bullpup forum, Dave works at MSAR and can help you with anything, and is happy to do it.
    GOING RATE FOR AN E4------ I happened to see one distributor at least has priced them at $1250 wholesale, so add say 10% for the dealer, $15 for shipping, and you get about $1400.

I got mine while they were on sale last month at Ratworx, mine is an STG not an E4 but $1070 shipped with 5 mags couldn't be passed up.
    [​IMG]

12. hasselbach

hasselbach

Yeah, but you'll never have the real thing..... I like my original version. I heard the first run had a lot of problems. Have they fixed this yet?

The only real complaint I heard has been there are too many rails on the 'copy' gun.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. JBJ16

JBJ16

Not to diss the Original (I've fired one), but I think 40years difference will have a lot of difference in mfg. technology and materials with the advantage going to the newer MSAR. :cool:

14. rem2429

rem2429

My impression is that the MSAR is like a Rock River M4gery compared to the Styer as an older colt AR. While the design is improved, and the new rifle is better in some ways, the testing and QC may not be as strict.
    I'd love to have one, but I will watch the E4 models for a while before I jump.

15. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I love mine. It's compact, reliable, and very accurate. I do agree that it is at least as good as the AUG. The barrel uses an ideal 1:8 twist, and the current extractors are better machined out of stronger steel. The trigger pull is lighter and cleaner than any original AUG I've handled also. They did have some teething issues with some of their very earliest rifles, but no problems that I know of except an extractor upgrade about a year ago (they shipped me two of them at no charge).

I went with the original mag version, and am glad I did. They are built incredibly tough, and I have had no reliability issues with them at all. While I have a healthy respect for P-Mags, I think the original STG mag is an inherently better design than anything STANAG compatable.

16. -gunut-

-gunut-

If I or the other owners wanted the real thing, we could have bought it :wavey:

17. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Agreed. As much as I respect Steyr as a company, I still would have bought the MSAR even if the prices were the same. For me, the biggest selling point for the MSAR is the 4150 CMV, 1:8 twist barrel. The rails are nice as well, given how far optics have come since the original AUG debuted with the then-revolutionary optic. For the modern 5.56mm combat loadings, you really need a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. The Steyr's 1:9 just doesn't cut it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  18. -gunut-

-gunut-

Not to mention better support from the company, higher quality mags, bolt release by the mag (no need to use the charging handle), and greater accessory options from both factory and after-market.

19. space_weazel

space_weazel

I bought mine because of the 1:8 barrel, the company support, the price and because it is a US company.

But mostly because Steyr wants to much.

20. Tomac

Tomac

I have personal experience w/4 different STG's and a total rd count of nearly 7K rds. After nearly 40yrs of searching the STG comes closest to my personal ideal of the perfect HD carbine:

Pros: Short, very manueverable in tight quarters, very fast on-target, less shooter fatigue (due to all the weight being close-in to the body), modular, adjustable gas system, clean-running (only the gas piston requires any real effort to clean), a real honest-to-gosh quick-change bbl, spare parts are plentiful, entirely US-made so no import ban to worry about and customer service is *superb*. I also love the 42rd mags; you get 40% more ammo before reloading, it's easy to do a visual check of rds remaining, they're very rugged (I accidentally dropped a loaded 42rd onto concrete and all it did was spit out the top 2 rds) and I find the extra length helps when manipulating the mag w/o resorting to Magpuls or Ranger Plates. Reloads are faster than you'd expect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbJhv39IUM&feature=channel_page

Cons: Typical bullpup trigger improves significantly w/use but will never equal a good AR trigger, limited optic rail space, care must be taken when selecting an optic/mount combo so you don't snag your fingers working the leftside charging handle, usually requires a couple of hundreds rds to break-in, occasional "teething" problems when new (simple things that MSAR are quick to fix), fixed LOP, metric flash hider thread.

I have personally experienced a few broken old-style extractors (none of the new-style have broken) and a couple of broken bolt sleeves, all quick & easy fixes. I've heard of a single broken firing pin. My 2nd STG had FTE's right out of the box but MSAR fixed it ASAP.

Last summer my best friend (cop) and I ran a couple of my STG's through a 2-day carbine class last summer where we put 1K rds of Brown Bear 55gr through each rifle. His ran 100% and mine made it to the very end of the 2nd day when it started experiencing stuck casings (not uncommon w/steel-cased ammo).

Accuracy: I've never shot for group size but w/an Eotech I find the 200m gong easy off-hand and the 300m very doable if I do my part.

Tomac
    STG-556 w/E4 optic rail, Eotech 517, Magpul MBUS, 9" accessory rail, Fenix TK20 taclight, Levang compensator on a Ratworx bbl adapter, 42rd amber mag:
    [​IMG]
    Me and best friend at carbine class:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]