Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anthony Marfione has a new video on YouTube announcing this. Evidently one of their lower-priced knife models will be clearly marketed and sold as not made in the USA, but, they spent 25 years building a "Made in America" business strategy.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I remember when I could find American made stuff, took some research but I had the option

Now everything is made in China. Leupold scopes, shovels, bar-b-que grills, toothbrushes, fish, furniture

And soon Blackhawk helicopters and Reaper Drones at half cost

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
It is what is. If you want to spend $250+ on a knife, you can still buy that made in the USA knife. Kershaw did the same thing years ago. They are a business and in it to make a profit. Microtech can pick up new customers with their cheaper knives.
I have a ton of China made knives and most are top notch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly hope things work out for them, I really do; but, knowing how the Chinese operate, it will be a honeymoon at first and then the honeymoon will be over. No doubt China makes very high quality products. On par with any company in the world, seriously.

The problem is their business model of cheat, copy and sell at a lower cost. If not outside China, they sell inside China. A big player like Apple can swing a big stick, a small player like Microtech will be at a disadvantage, in my opinion. I hope they can hold their own.

·
Rational
15,374 Posts
There's still the Italian option in the knife world. I saw a bunch of Italian-made knives recently online, and not only were they gorgeous and well-made, but also listed at a very good price point.

I have a Fox 598 fixed-blade Karambit, and the level of quality with this knife is amazing, and it was only $123. Good steel, well made, great to grip....total win.

I can't buy Chinese-made knives. As it is, I'm moving....or trying to move.....away from Taiwanese-made knives. There may be a couple of Cold Steel knives I'll have to buy though before I do....their Master Tanto in 3V with a satin finish being one of them.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
American small companies are in a no win situation that the big corporations put them in

If they dont use chinese slave labor and pay them bribe money then they’ll be copied and run out of business

Go to Alibaba and look at any brand name item you own

Its copied by the Chinese, produced and sold for a fraction of the price

·
Premium Member
15,278 Posts
Well, well well.
I have 3 Microtech knives…….. and that will be it for me.
I was also STUPID enough to buy a STG 556, their AUG build in 2009. Mine worked but they halted production so I sold it.
I’m done with him.

It easy to have stuff built in China. Everyone does it.
In 2006 I left a lucrative job because the owner wanted me to move a major product line to China and put 450 out of work here. I refused and change jobs.
F these sell outs

·
Premium Member
15,278 Posts
And there are folks on GT that have been shamelessly and blatantly hawking Chinese knockoffs of Microtech products for months…,,,,,,
Yeah, it’s all good to F US companies and US workers.
Make no mistake the Chinese are like locusts….,,, there will be nothing left except to flip burgers for each other.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ok so I just watched the video... who was he calling out saying their product is made in the US but really isn't?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ok so I just watched the video... who was he calling out saying their product is made in the US but really isn't?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not exactly. He said that they are turning to Rike Knives to make this model of knife and pen. They aren't saying it's made in America. They are being transparent that it is made in China. www.rikeknife.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are quite few Chinese companies making knives now that make some of the highest quality knives in the world. They don't copy anybody's designs, they make them under license or design their own knives. They are not in any way cheap; they have highly skilled workers who are not slaves. The lower end models offer fantastic value for the money and their high end models are as good as anything anywhere and they are expensive. Many of these companies buy their steel in the USA or Europe.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've already bought a knife that was made in China, and shipped directly to me, here. My general experience with Chinese knives is that the pricier ones are very nicely made, precisely put together, and the steel is of excellent quality—Better, in several instances, than similar American-made models.

Here's a Chinese 'knock off' that has an excellent laminated AUS-8 steel blade on it that really holds an edge!

·
Caffeinator
6,266 Posts
While I prefer to buy made in the USA, it is more about not buying anything made in China. I go very far out of my way to avoid doing that, although it is not always an option.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts