close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Microsoft Preparing Patch for Windows Flaw

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Washington D.C., Jan 3, 2006.

1. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

REDMOND, Wash. - Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it has created a patch for a flaw that could let someone take control of another person's computer, but the fix is still being tested and isn't expected to be released until next week.

The Redmond software giant confirmed late last week that some people were using the previously unknown vulnerability to attempt to attack computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system. But the company said Tuesday that its research indicates the attacks are not widespread.

To be attacked, a user would have to visit a malicious Web site through Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or be persuaded to open an e-mail attachment. The flaw affects versions of Windows desktop and server software dating back to
    Windows 98.

Microsoft said it hopes to release the patch on Jan. 10 as part of its regular monthly security updates.

___

On the Web: http://www.microsoft.com/security

2. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Ah another "bug" that allows someone to take over your PC. Didn't XP have one of those a couple years ago that took them 6 months to fix?

I just wish the PC world would all revolt at once and swtich to a Linux based OS. Until then we are stuck with Windows running our lives, literally.

3. David N.

David N.

So those who've already abandoned IE are already a step ahead. Imagine that.

4. Toyman

Toyman

Blah blah blah. Yeah, then we would be stuck with someone else running our lives. Linux isn't perfect, that's why there are so many fricken distros.

See http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm

5. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I agree it isn't perfect, but there would be competition. I think we can all agree competition is a good thing.

6. Toyman

Toyman

I agree. But there's always been competition. Apple, Amiga, Commodore, ect. Now add recently BSD, Linux times many. Windows won out for two reasons: People liked to use it, and they needed to share info with other people, so everyone kinda migrated to one OS.

I've used Linux, Max OS, Windows, DOS, OS/2. I say use what you like best, and what works best for you. I write software, most people use windows so that's what I use so I can code for it.

I just believe that Linux is not ready for the begginner. Until it is, it'll just be a hobbiest OS.

7. neeko

neeko

It isnt a bug, its a feature! WMF has a feature to allow it to run code if the image fails to render.

8. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I mean a free common base code (sorta like the internet has) and then you can choose which software somapny has the features and such that you like. That's really the only reason I said anything about Linux. That would allow comeptition but still retain the majority of compatability.

9. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

But as soon as Linux becomes the most widely used operating system, it will be attacked as much as the Windows OS. Granted, it won't have quite as many security holes, but they will still be there.

10. Toyman

Toyman

Read Article...

11. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

12. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember Millennium Member CLM

13. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

14. JMag

JMag

Yep, already patched it up...until next time!