close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Microsoft ACCES .mdb problem in My Documents folder

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NRA_guy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Strange problem: I am running Win XP at work. I have been running ACCESS database stuff for years with no problem.

Suddenly, ACCESS cannot open a .mdb file in My Documents folder.

It opens .mdb files fine everywhere else, like in the oot directory.

Nothing else has the problem. Excel, WORD, Adobe all open documents fine in My Documents.

It matters not how you get there: Windows Explorere or through ACCESS itself.

I can create new ACCESS .mdb files in My Documents, but tey still will not open, unless I move them.

I have re-installed MS Office (in which ACCESS is bundled.)

I suspect a registry problem.

Linux is no option.

NRA_guy

2. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Thanks. But that's not my problem. My problem is that ACCESS cannot open any .mdb file that is located in My Documents folder.

If I move the .mdb to another folder or my Desktop, ACCESS opens the file just like old times.

Makes no difference whether I try to open the .mdb file from within ACCESS or by double clicking the file in Windows Explorer.

Again, it's only .mdb files located in My Documents.

Other types of files (.doc, .txt, .xls, .jpg, etc.) in My Documents open just fine in their associated file type.

When I try to open a .mdb in My Documents, ACCESS first gives me a message indicating that it thinks the file is out on an intranet site (do I want to open or save it?) and save is grayed out. I check open and it then says that it will not open it for security reasons.

Crazy.

Reg problem, I think.

NRA_guy

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Check the properties for the My Documents folder.

Lots of times in an ofice network environment the My Docs folder is locked down due to Windows' zeal in sharing it with every stranger it comes across...

That can cause lots of problems, and the IT department may have taken this step in an effort to prevent unauthorized access to the data.

Obviously, the thing to do is create a folder on the Desktop, name it Data or something, and put every last .mdb file, as well as Excel and all other media files into it.

Tell Access about the change and you should be fine.

If it happens again, then reinstalling the app may fix this, especially if your PC is the only one to exhibit this behavior.

Good luck.

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I finally pitched a hissy fit and a really smart IM guy took my PC away (under threat of death if he reformatted my C: drive.)

He fixed it: Somehow my default folder where downloaded web pages get saved had been re-assigned from the "TEMP" folder to the "My Documents".

Apparently the temporary downloaded files are tracked in a database that uses an indexing file to keep track of them. And apparently ACCESS has a similarly named file to track .mdb files; so the original indexing file got overwritten.

So ACCESS thought all my .mdb files in My Documents were out on the web.

Weird.

At least that's his theory, and he fixed it by redirecting my TEMP stuff from My Documents back to the TEMP folder. I'm not sure how he did it. Nor am I sure how I screwed it up in the first place.

I do remember saving a web page to My Documents, but I never knownigly changed the defaut setting.