Micro/Pico Projectors - recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Hi all!

I'm looking at getting a small projector for a variety of uses - I don't need it to project a large image, probably under 40" diagonally, but I do need it to work in a variety of lighting conditions, not just dark rooms.

The notional use is putting a project we're working on on the wall of my office for 3-4 people to look at as we're collaborating. I'd like to be able to do that while keeping at least some of the office lights on. 1024x768 resolution is probably enough, though more would be better, of course. I'd then like to be able to just toss the projector aside when done, so there's a lot of value in a very compact one that gets out of the way when not in use.

I'm flexible on price, though cheaper is always better. I'd pay a reasonable premium for one that worked really really well, though.

Does anyone have experience with these, or a model to recommend/avoid?

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

If it is going to stay in your office then I would not consider the compact micro projectors. Modern standard projectors are very small and will be full featured and much less costly. I would only consider the micro projector if you are going to throw it in your briefcase and take it with you.

/

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

Another idea is to mount your projector permanent out of the way on the ceiling or wall. Your projector will always be in focus and that other thing that deals with the angle that I can't think of the word for. If you use the micro and you are constantly tossing it aside and out of the way then you will also be constantly messing with focus and the angle.

/

4. Anon1

Anon1

Your talking about keystone correction = "angle".

While not a micro/pico projector, Sony makes a pretty small one that is almost fully automatic. You point it at the projection surface, turn it on, and the thing sends out a ping to the projection surface to get a distance, and it has an internal device to gauge its angle of inclination and it then automatically adjusts focus and other settings based on that distance to the projection surface and how much it is tilted up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012