Micro$oft Says: "Gotcha!"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LinuxLover, Aug 5, 2018.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Ever since its creation, Micro$oft has described Windows 10 “as a service”. The fear has always been that this meant Microsoft would start charging users a monthly fee to maintain the operating system, and now a new leak has confirmed this is exactly what will happen…
    LINK: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...rice-upgrade-update-windows-7-8/#7e88b0a272c1

You've been screw-ed!

It's time to visit Linux, guys.
    Dump that blood sucking leach* called Windows. I told you so!
    * 'leech' & 'leach' both appear in the body of the post and are accurate as used:

from GoogleDictionary:
    The verb leach means to empty, drain, or remove, eg: money,. blood, nourishment or MY beer or hard liquor for instance.......

The noun leech refers to a bloodsucking worm or to a person who preys on or clings to another by offering free candy or puppies/kittens to little children from the back of a 1986 Dodge van or promising to give something for free to unsuspecting adults.

Used as a verb, TO leech means to bleed with leeches or to act as a parasite.

Further explanation about the latter part is duplicitous and rife with horrid mental images and I am not paying for psychiatric treatment that will not unsee images.
    The Usual Boilerplate: Reference(s) to any person or persons in this post are not about REAL people - not in a clinical definition anyway. There is no intention to insult any person or persons, real or imagined in this post. In a like way, unicorns are not to be insulted - but that's for another post/another time. All names used are purely incidental, made-up by my massive brain and actually do not reflect the opinion or opinions of the site upon which they are promulgated. This is a full exoneration for the website [here] and any/all information is posted sorely for the entertainment and abuse by the readers and/or users of this information. Any spiritual values to this post are - if not downright false - they are questionable as to the nature of the visions or sightings and the condition upon which the person who sees such a sighting is currently imbibed with/by beer or mind altering substances. If you see a vision of Bigfoot here - there is a creative writing position open and we can discus money later on. OK?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Plenty of great Linux Distro out there that'll do everything a person needs to do on their computer. No need to kiss MicroSuck's butt to run your computer hardware.

janice6 and GlockFan7 like this.

3. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

How do you get Windows off of your laptop when it came loaded with it? I'll Google it too.

janice6 likes this.
  4. LinuxLover

You do a format - but that's in almost every LIVE Linux distro out there.

One can also use any number of formating CDs* - some you have to burn yourself - so don't burn Windoze down until you get something else to put in it's place.
    If you want a clean hardrive, you can pre-download PUPPY and keep it on a USB stick for repairs and new formats any time you want.

* GPARTED is a very good one - slightly mysterious, but very good.

But in the short run, I'd just let whatever Linux distro you get, to have it's way with the whole HDD and just make a clean sweep of it.

Edit Reason - Spellclunker was WQRONG again!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

As stated, any installer can easily be set to "take over the whole hard drive"... just keep in mind that once you do this, there's no going back. Since most manufacturers don't include restore CD's in lieu of restore partitions nowadays.... this sort of install will nuke EVERYTHING on the hard drive.

It's probably far smarter to set up a small partition for Linux for a while, then if you like it, blast the drive away. You could get away easily just running Live boot off a flash drive for a while to see if you liked it... w/o making changes to your computer.

Perianne likes this.
  6. LinuxLover

Well..... he could dual-boot too.

7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I just spent close to $1,000 having my computer (HP Pavilion Slimline S5-1554) completely rebuilt with a new hard drive and Windows 10 in May, after it crashed. And with all the free software popups I'm getting (AVG being the biggest culprit), it was anything but worth it.

Am not happy about this. At all. Go play in traffic, Microsoft.

janice6 and LinuxLover like this.
  8. LinuxLover

Seriously, you're gonna LOVE Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

FREE is always an easy pill to swallow.

9. Bish1309

Bish1309

I have both and have tried them. They work ok except....My biggest problem is I'm used to using Movie Maker to edit my band videos. I haven't found a good solution on a Linux Platform. Do you have any recommendations? I like free, in case I hadn't mentioned that. :innocent:

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not a heavy video editor... Avidemux has always served me pretty well... Like everything compared to Microsoft products (Gimp, etc..) it has a bazillion options but once you get the hang of it, it's not to difficult. It should be in the repos of almost any distribution.

I've also used Openshot, and had good luck w/ it.

https://www.openshot.org/download/

TN.Frank and Bish1309 like this.
  11. Bish1309

Bish1309

Thank you.

12. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

That's not Microsoft's fault. Whoever built that Windows distro you used put all the crapware on it. One of the really nice things about my Surface Book 2 and all my previous Surfi is that they came with clean Windows.

13. powernoodle

powernoodle

If you don't like a consumer product, just don't use it. The Chicken Little routine is a bit hyperbolic.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

It DID come with clean Windows. He offered to put about 4 programs on there (virus, malware, adware, etc) for protection. They work, but they're all free, and one of them, AVG, gives me a goddamned popup constantly, begging me to upgrade.

Malwarebytes doesn't do it, Adaware doesn't do it.....just AVG.

Had I know that, I would have just stuck with my tried-and-true Avast Pro.

15. holidaypf

holidaypf

Unless you have a specific program you need, pick up a chromebook. If it were not for Word, I could completely ditch Windoze and Apple.

Linux is for super-geeks, and I mean that as a compliment.

16. UncleDave

UncleDave

I haven't used M$ Windblows in years. I had standardized on Arch Linux for the desktop, and had used MacBook Pros for years (mostly at work), and when my personal MBP became too old for the latest OSX I wiped that and installed Manjaro (Arch derivative) and never looked back. My son still has Win10 on his laptop specifically for gaming, but he's slowly coming around to seeing the light, as he has had to reinstall at least 5 times over the past year due to botched updates. He now wants to build a high-end Linux gaming station. I'm proud of him.

Remember, friends don't let friends use Micro$oft.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

This is a trend that has been gaining momentum in the software biz for years. Instead of charging (a higher price) for a software package and then charging (a high price) again for the newer version, they just charge per month or per year and you get the updates so long as you are subscribed. It's just a different way to pay for the product, deals with the pirating problem, and makes support a whole lot easier when everyone is on the same version.

18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I've been involved in testing pre-release Microsoft operating systems, since Whistler. I was a dedicated MS fan up until Win 8. Each developmental release got worse and worse. As a result, I avoided Win 10, until they offered a free upgrade from 7. I thought, why not? Now I'm using 10 on all of my main computers, with some legacy machines still running Vista, XP and 98. I'm happy with 10, but if things go south, I'm going to Linux. Apple isn't allowed in my house, but welcomed at the range.

janice6 likes this.
  19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Then just uninstall AVG, and use Microsoft Security Essentials or install Avast.... I've not used AVG in YEARS, but I never had a problem with popups years ago. If your subscription to Avast Pro is still current, you should just be able to install it and add your license key and be done with it.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've put Linux on several "non super geeks" PC's.. and never have a problem. 90% of people could use Linux for their everyday needs, and wouldn't be able to tell any difference. (ie, email, online shopping, online banking, Facebook and other social media, a few office documents here and there). You take an elderly person, who knows nothing about Windows or Linux... they will be just as lost on Linux as they will be on Windows. My parents are a perfect example of this. They started off just wanting to Facebook w/ the grandkids... They were in their late 50's and had never so much as touched a PC. I gave them an old Linux PC I had...

The first month or so, I was answering a lot of questions, but it was general question and nothing in particular with Linux. Before long they were doing the social media stuff, online shopping, online banking and bill paying, occasional office documents, etc. and were now seeing how a computer made many things much easier. 3-4yrs later, the power supply on that PSU blew and I decided rather than fix it, it was time for a complete rebuild/upgrade. The same people who couldn't imagine wanting a PC 5-6yrs earlier, were lost as can be while w/o a PC for that couple days while I waited on parts and completed the build.

That PC does everything they want it to do and they know how to do it. Names of menus, even the overall look of the OS, is irrelevant to them... and I've never one time had to clear a virus. I was over there the other day and was using their computer for a minute and noticed it was getting a little long in the tooth. They've never complained a word to me, as it still does what they want. I'm thinking I'll probably rebuild it for them for when the Christmas sales start.

holidaypf and janice6 like this.