close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Michigan Open Carry Night Out on news

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by YeahImPackin, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

What's the page say? Please post the text.

2. randyr5

randyr5

Here you go:

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. - Gun activists are fighting for their right to bear arms out in the open for everyone to see. Some cities have passed or are looking to pass laws making it illegal to cary a gun openly, but Michigan law says it's okay.
    FOX 2's Andrea Isom has more on the debate and one group's mission to educate.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Oh, thanks :thumbsup:

4. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

Much more info in the video of the news report. This was one of the most unbiased news reports I've seen.

5. YeahImPackin

YeahImPackin

I agree. Weird...very weird. Was suprised it wasn't backed up by alot of anti OC/CC crap. Relieved also that "spokesmen" weren't over the edge back country hicks that usually get interviewed. No stererotype Bubbas is good to see.

6. KK40384

KK40384

This is a much better approach at informing everyone about open carry then the last attempt in Lansing.

7. MichiganPython

MichiganPython

What's the point of open carry, guys? OC just provides more fodder for the antis and produces no benefit to us.

8. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

Who is US?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  9. KK40384

KK40384

My question exactly?

10. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

"...with a legally registered handgun, you can open carry it."
    I guess they don't know that there isn't a registration. I wonder if saying that makes them feel better.

11. The Habit

The Habit كافر

I assume Michigan has no preemption laws?

12. YeahImPackin

YeahImPackin

Don't understand. My handguns are "registered". In order to have a legally obtained gun the serial number is "registered" . Or am I missing your point.

13. MichiganPython

MichiganPython

"Us" is you and me. If there's a benefit to OC, tell me what it is. This "in your face" stuff, which is what open carry is, does not convince anyone of anything. It often times has the opposite effect.

14. YeahImPackin

YeahImPackin

I agree with you HOWEVER it's a right and excersizing it is important. That being said, instead of "enlisting" people to OC MAYBE enlisting people to take safe gun handling classes to obtain a CPL/CCW (why cant it just be one dern acronim?)would be the best course. Kind of frightens me to have untrained individuals plop down a couple hundred bucks and be incharge of a deadly weapon. Thats how "accidents" happen and THAT looks bad for "us"....IMHO:dunno:

15. KK40384

KK40384

By just walking around with a gun stapped to your hip you don't convince anyone, I agree with you there. But if you were to have a "meet" where a group of people are open carrying in a public place like a park and they informed the local PD of what they were doing and have maybe a table set up with some flyers educating the general public about open carrying and its legallity, now that might get a more positive point across. Believe me even a lot of the local officers around here have no idea about OC and they will harass you if they see you untill a superior tells them to stop it and let you go. An even like that might even inform the local LEOs about it.

With that said, even though I support the cause you're never gonna see me OC for any reason. I don't like the attention (positive or negative) it attracts. I'll always CC where allowed.

16. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

One problem with your statement. I completely disagree with you and ask you to provide evidence of your position (not for this thread though).
    There are many benefits to OC, and Russ has linked all of those threads in one place for people to read.

YeahImPackin-
    You may fill out a form to buy a pistol, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't Registered to you. No one can type your name into a computer or find your file and get a list of the firearms that you own.

17. YeahImPackin

YeahImPackin

Well purchase permit does include Name, address and serial number. Its safe to bet if my gun were found atta crime scene wouldnt take long for a knock at my door. I would say thats "registered".

18. Oramac

Oramac

+1. i personally love seeing people exercise their RIGHT to OC. If missouri had statewide preemption i would try it. i cannot say if i would continue to OC, but i believe that the option should be available to anyone, period.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

In your state. That's not the norm. Most states you can buy a firearm from the person and walk away with no paperwork at all unless you're buying from an FFL.

Purchase permit. There aren't many that do that.