Michigan 2005 Archery/Deer Report... Vol. 1!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Michigun, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

Been seeing WAAAAY more does this year in my area… in fact, I’ve seen more does in the past 4 hunts then I saw all of last year combined!

So……. I decided to go ahead & take this doe this past Saturday morning: ^c

[​IMG]

She’s a fairly large 1-1/2 year old (she had no little ones with her)… no exact weight was taken however.

I took her while sitting on the ground at a distance of 8 yards… she was quartering to me… the arrow struck just inside the left shoulder & took out that main artery there (one of the blades slashed the esophagus), the tip of the left lung, the top of the heart, the rear of the left lung, punched through the diagram (DISCLAIMER: Not guts were hurt in the taking of this deer… pheeew, that was close!. ;f) & stopped in the VERY back side of the liver… NO WONDER she only made it 20 yards. ;)

(I shoot a 125-grain, 3-blade NAP Spitfire, which has a cutting radius of nearly 2”… that helps!)

The blood trail was REAL easy to follow… I sat for only 10 minutes before starting the short track. (I heard her crash & knew she was down just on the other side of some brush there.)

I have the next 3 evenings to hunt so I’ll be out looking for one with a hat now. (Yeah, like I haven’t been all along, right? :))

Just thought I’d share! ^c

2. Glocktex

Glocktex

Congrats! Nothing like good tasty backstraps for dinner:)

3. Michigun

Thanks!

We actually ended up grilling this doe whole, pig-roast style… I shot her at around 9:00am & she was roasting less the 2 hours later! We 1st slathered on the “rub” inside & out… then we stuffed the rib cage with green peppers & onions from the garden & also some fresh sausage from the local meat market… after that we tied everything up & together tight… next we laid strips of bacon across the whole thing before wrapping her all up in tinfoil. 7 hours later we where digging in! For a few more side dishes we also grilled some fresh squash, potatoes & the gobbler I took this past spring, which had been marinating all day… dang, anyone else getting hungry too? :)

We had nearly 30 people show up & still had enough left over for the other special hunting day get-to-gathers this year. ^c

4. noway

noway

Now that's what I'm talkin about, Fresh food. ;f

Kinda reminds me when my granmother would say go get that goat over their. And 6 hours later you had a pot cooking with goat parts in a thick sauce and so to be on your plate.

Nice job, and hope you get a good buck also ;)

5. Michigun

1st time any of us had ever done a whole whitetail. ^c

Thanks!

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

nice kill michigun

and also to you noway.

ive blanked this season so far. archery season was too hot for me but i hunted the last week of it on state gamelands in heavy rain. it wasnt until about 3 weeks ago that they shed velvet here.

gun season starts for me this saturday and i cant wait

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Where was the dinner bell? I'd have made the drive for that meal. ;f

^c

8. Weezer

Weezer

Yeah, no kidding. I live in Michigan also, I think we should be friends! ;f ;f

9. Michigun

Thanks!

Good luck sir! (We have a month before our gun season starts!)

;i

Sorry guys, no dinner bell was rung… although we did do a bit of shooting while we waited… didn’t you guys hear that? ;f

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

8 yards. Was that the crossbow, did you have to pull back a string? Either way, obviously very difficult with the deer right there!

Why's the pic blurry in the front?

11. Michigun

It was with my crossbow (notice the little bolt/arrow lying across her ribcage)... I rarely sit in a tree stand... that way none of my hunting buddies can give that hard of a time. ;)

I edited it because she was already field dressed... I have the original, but figured I'd do the PC thing here.

I wasn't actually going to take any pictures (It’s just a doe after all, right?), but the friend that owns the 4-wheeler wanted the 1st kill to be strapped on his ride documented… he took the picture. :) (I did end up taking a few pictures of the entrance wound on this deer though as it was pretty impressive! ^c)

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

In my opinion, it is not politically correct on this hunting forum to edit out game blood ;a

I thought it was a short arrow, but with a pic, and the arrow at an angle, it is hard to judge the length. Could have been an overdraw.

NY archery does not start till this weekend. Every day I see a deer around my pasture, but I'm not too optimistic. What I need is a new bow!

13. Michigun

;i... okay then, how about this:

[​IMG]

I'll even toss this one in now:

[​IMG]

Definitly could have been an overdraw arrow.

Mathews Switchback! ^c

14. noway

noway

Oh yuck blood ;1

I like your PC photo better ;)

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Well, I was out there. Right place, right time. Doe and her fawn, walking and browsing. She worked her way to a 15 yard broadside, then looked up at me good, and took off snorting.

Jeepers, do I smell or something ;a

No wind at all. Usually a breeze into my face at that location, but not this time. Oh well. Wasn't real sure I wanted to take her. But if she was going to stand there all day 15 yards broadside ... Fawn was big enough to take care of itself, and didn't have spots anymore.

16. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Ah, I heard some shooting, but I think it was coming from the crackhouse down the street from my place. ;g

17. Glocktex

Glocktex

That entry wound is definitely gonna leave a mark!

18. Michigun

I agree, the unmodified pic wasn't required for anything useful.

No wind = Nothing to help disperse your scent!

Ummm, you might want to think about moving then. ;)

;f

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Sure it was. I'm still trying to figure out why you cut the hide so high up the chest ;a

20. Michigun

;f

I cut up the ribcage (along the side of the sternum) as "standard procedure" during all my field dresses... I find it easier this way to get everything out from the diaphragm forward... not to mention that I come out with a lot less blood on me doing it this way. ^c