close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MI Opening Day Tomorrow!!! (Deer Gun Season!)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Michigun, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

MI Opening Day Tomorrow!!! (Deer Gun Season!)

It’s that time of year again! Tomorrow is the Michigan “opening day” for whitetail gun deer season!

I’m pretty much all set & ready to go. I have the day off work, which is very nice. The “monster shotgun” is all “zero checked” & ready for some 1oz flingin fun. I hunt locally, so no traffic hassles to look forward to!

I have a good friend coming up from “The City” to partake. I get a chance to spend some good quality time with my older brother, which is getting pretty hard to do these days. I’m meeting other friends & family out at the farm in the AM… it should be a great day & a great time!

The weather is calling for cold & possibly a bit of snowfall! Long-underwear here I come!!! Fresh air is sure to be had by all.

If you hadn’t noticed, I love everything about this great past time!

To my fellow MI’ers taking afield tomorrow morning for the same, I say: Stay safe & “Whack’em & stack’em!”

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Yes, nothing quite like opening day of gun season for deer!

It should be a national holiday. I remember in high school that it was a given nobody would be in class on opening day. I could look across the hills and see specks of orange moving about in the distance. The sound of gun shots echoing all throughout the day.

So many good memories all the way back as far as I can remember into my childhood. Both my dad and my uncle cut up deer and their garages would be full. Now my brother does it.

Opening day here is Monday. I can't wait.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

If you were to live here & work for General Motors, it would be a holiday! Both my father & father-in-law have the day off tomorrow, with pay of course... lucky dogs!;)

4. hpg

hpg

good luck I hope the weather is better than our opening day last Saturday the 9th, 60 degree temps and wind blowing at mach 2 all day long-hpg

5. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I'll be out in Jackson county with the 686 .357 hanging out in the trees all day. Good luck to everyone!

Cheers!
    Glen

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've got to wait 9 more days for our gun season. It opens on the 23rd. :(

The best thing about being self-employed is it's a piece of cake asking your "boss" for the whole deer season off. I just look in the mirror... and grin.:) I have NEVER, I repeat... NEVER! worked a single day during the WI firearms deer season, since I began deer hunting in 1964. And I never will.

Good luck to all the MI deer hunters. Stay safe, and remember what the home boy, Nuge says... whack 'em & stack 'em... kill it, then grill it. And don't forget your "Yoopers" CDs. It ain't deer season without Da Yoopers' music playin' in da camp.

"It's the 2nd week of deer camp,
    there's one more day to go,
    I haven't had a shave or bath since 14 days ago,
    the empty pile is growing,
    and nobody shot a deer,
    there's only 50 weeks to go 'til we'll be back up here."

7. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Day one report:

The friend I was with filled his doe tag in the morning with a smallish 1.5 year old doe. His tree stand was about 35' in the air so the angle sucked and he only got one lung. Took a second shot to get. We took that one home and hung it up to cool.

We go back out in the afternoon around 2:00, an hour and a half later BANG! I hear my friend Dave firing off a shot again with the 870. He bagged a very large 5 point with a huge neck and giant body. It took the two of us over a half hour to drag that sucker half mile through the woods. Lots of meat on that bad boy. He rubbed it in on me and said hib buck was moving along pretty quickly and would have been at my blind a half minute later. :)

As for me, well nothing yet. I saw one creeping along in the morning and couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. It turned a bit and started to head away from my stand so I was out of luck.

Tomorrow I sleep in and only go out in the afternoon or I'll hunt all day Sunday.

So how did everyone else do?

Cheers!
    Glen

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?