Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
> OD Glock 32
4,431 Posts
I can understand the want to do away with "no carry/gun-free" zones. Some of them are just silly. Post office?! Come on, that's just stupid. But [YMMV] there should be no guns in schools. Colleges may be okay, but elementary and high schools have no reason for a gun to be there. And I say this as a parent who drops my son off. Now some states do have * as to the conditions at schools. Locked in your vehicle is acceptable in Floriduh, as I recall. Not sure about most others, though.

·
Registered
32,965 Posts
there should be no guns in schools...
Why do you say that?

As we both know, there are guns in school. As soon as a bad guy decides to kill kids or teachers or parents, there are guns in school. We both know the bad guy doesn't stop at the door, read the sign and say, "Darn, no guns allowed in school!"

On the contrary, the bad guy walks in, and then there are guns in school.

I'd prefer that teachers, adminstrators, and parents, legally be allowed to carry in schools.

:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why do you say that?

As we both know, there are guns in school. As soon as a bad guy decides to kill kids or teachers or parents, there are guns in school. We both know the bad guy doesn't stop at the door, read the sign and say, "Darn, no guns allowed in school!"

I'd prefer that teachers, adminstrators, and parents, legally be allowed to carry in schools.

Amen :supergrin:

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
I'll believe it after it passes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Why do you say that?

+10000

what is different about schools compared to the rest of the world that you want to ban guns there? If you say there are a lot of children there. I say that is a reason to allow teachers, parents, and any other adult that has business at the school to carry, It is the responsibility of adults to protect children by any means necessary.

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,685 Posts
Apart from secure areas of prisons and jails holding inmates, there shouldn't be any gun free zones.

·
Unfair Facist
26,963 Posts
The State should keep it's nose out of private property and not be legislating whether a gun can be carried there or not. That is the prerogative of the property owner not the Govt.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I can understand the want to do away with "no carry/gun-free" zones. Some of them are just silly. Post office?! Come on, that's just stupid. But [YMMV] there should be no guns in schools. Colleges may be okay, but elementary and high schools have no reason for a gun to be there. And I say this as a parent who drops my son off. Now some states do have * as to the conditions at schools. Locked in your vehicle is acceptable in Floriduh, as I recall. Not sure about most others, though.
You realize the "School" includes the entire campus. Many of our schools have several acres of land. We can't even legally cut a corner when we are walking down the sidewalk. Or go to a game outdoors. Or get out of the vehicle to help our child get into our car.

If you are legal to carry in a mall full of people, you should be GTG on school property. Cause it sure as hell isn't going to stop anyone that intends on doing harm.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Apart from secure areas of prisons and jails holding inmates, there shouldn't be any gun free zones.
Well said!

BTW things going ok for you? I hope the current friskyness of the arabs doesn't cause you troubles.

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,685 Posts
I would add courtrooms to that list. Emotions run high in courtrooms.
I have carried into courtrooms before, but usually as a witness for the prosecution rather than as a defendant or litigant. I see your point though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If all entrances have a metal detector and armed guards then you can have a gun free zone. Outside of that I'm pretty sure gun free zones do not exist.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I agree. No place whatsoever should be off-limit unless deemed so by the property owner. That's how I feel today but tomorrow, I'm starting to feel that even property owners shouldn't be able to stop you but only trespass you if caught. Good luck, MI.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Notice my signature line. I'm with George.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
As stated before, the government should stay out of the business of “We the People”. One of the best parts of a free Country is being able to decide what you do want and what you do not want on your property.

In return, as a consumer, I have the right to take my business elsewhere if I do not agree with a certain places policies.

However, I do not believe Gun Free Zones do any good. I feel people that intend to commit a crime are going to do it regardless of any sign or law.

Where I live, some banks have a “No Firearms” policy and some banks do not have a policy against firearms. It seems that a particular branch of banks around me keeps being robbed and they do have a “No Firearms” policy. Every time it happens, I think to myself, I wonder how that policy is working out for them. I would guess not so well.

There is nothing like a sign to say, no guns in here to worry about.

·
Banned
3,922 Posts
Why do you say that?

Why not students as well? In some states 18 year olds are allowed to carry. Should their right to self defense be denied?

·
Massive Member
25,509 Posts
I'll believe it after it passes.
Someone (forget who) introduces the bill every session. Goes nowhere.

Not sure if Granholm would have signed it, she ok'd the "shall issue" bills, so not unthinkable. New gov is GOP, more likely to sign.

The problem is getting it to him. I don't think this has ever gotten out of committee in the past.

Randy

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
Someone (forget who) introduces the bill every session. Goes nowhere.

Not sure if Granholm would have signed it, she ok'd the "shall issue" bills, so not unthinkable. New gov is GOP, more likely to sign.

The problem is getting it to him. I don't think this has ever gotten out of committee in the past.

Randy
She didn't sign into law our shall issue law, that was Gov. Engler.
She did though sign several pro gun bills that helped stream line somethings a bit. Mostly to do with so called safety inspections. I also believe she made it so people can carry into an establishment that served alcohol as long as they didn't drink.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts