MI: Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Feb 8, 2010.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

He should be getting beat up... What a freaking idiot. I read a few threads on this over on the open carry forums, and there is one thread where some folks actually thought he had a great idea, and if he won't do it "next time" they will. Then of course, there's a thread where they are all pretty much fighting amongst themselves.

Good job on those guys. :upeyes:

If you want to see how you conduct yourselves on an open carry outing, I think gollbladder and the gang in Wisconsin done FAR more good than that knucklehead in Michigan could ever dream.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/37570.html

2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Agreed.

They did pretty good in Ohio, too, back when.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't take credit for this post, but its the smartest post I've saw yet on this topic.... It was posted by someone named "Ballenforcer" on the open carry forum.....

Couldn't agree more..

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can somebody either give that guy grammar and spelling tips or tell him to use spellcheck?

He is, of course, right.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

LOL... I typically overlook spelling/grammar when the message is there. :)

IGF

6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You may do so. I may as well. BUT we are far from being the only audience.

7. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

Im all for supporting gun rights but walking into a Resturaunt on a Saturday night carrying an Assault Rifle is too far. It does more damage than good. It makes us look like the "crazy people" and doesnt help at all. Its ok to educate people on Open Carry and get them more comfortable with guns but come on.... Im from Michigan fwiw.

8. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Long guns are our only open carry option in Texas. I try to open carry a rifle as much as possible.

9. oly884

oly884

I'm reading a lot of the "it's too far" responses, and I agree it is "too far", but the issue is that legislators will agree it was "too far" and instead of shunning the idiot(s), they'll create a law that screws us all over.

OC AR guy, don't be an idiot.

10. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

I agree that the guy should not have brought a long gun to an event sponsored by a group dedicated solely to OCing handguns....HOWEVER, none of this would have been an issue if the owner had asked them to leave because they were making other patrons uncomfortable. Calling the cops on them was (IMO) the coward's way out, and could possibly have been a (relatively) easy way for him to back out of his agreement once he was faced with the reality of having openly armed citizens in his restaurant.

They made it clear in the video that had he simply asked them to go, they would have, and that the only reason it was a big deal is because the police made it so. Even if the cops had asked them to leave, they would have, but the police detained them for some time until their commanding officer could come chew them out.

11. SiNNiK

SiNNiK

Not by their own peers though.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

See, I personally would have a problem with being detained when no laws were broken. The old phrase "Am I free to go" comes up, and when told otherwise....it might just become their problem. BUT I would try to make it their problem later, not then and there.

13. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

It was all fun and games until the guy with the AK showed up.

14. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

Well, the LEOs in this situation just simply ignored the question. What do you do when they don't give a cause for detainment? can you just leave? Interesting scenario...

However, I agree with you that the big guy was belligerent, rude and out of line. I have always been of the opinion that people get their point across better when they appear calm and in total command of the facts. OTOH, the whole "lecture" made me throw up in my mouth a little, especially because it seemed like the whole reason for their "detainment" was to buy time for them to get a tongue-lashing from the CO.

15. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

I perused the main thread about this and discovered the owner's daughter registered to clear some things up:

well....that puts things in a new light...I rescind my earlier comments about calling the cops being a "cowardly" way out, and place the blame equally divided between the Lansing PD and the AR guy.

16. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So, let me ask this of those who place blame on the police for responding as they did: How would you feel had they not responded and the nice man with the AR had opened fire and killed a few people?

17. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

I think the 20 people OCing would have put him down pretty quick--and much sooner than they ever could have responded. :dunno:

And responding to a call on a non-emergency line about whether OC is legal by sending 5 squad cars and illegally detaining people is never right. Sorry, but your question has too many variables that are not consistent with this situation.

18. FLGUY

FLGUY Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Notice your terminology. The problem is with the responding "as they did". It was HOW they did it, not that they did it. Say, that sure sounds familiar....

20. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

on the phone call: When a citizen calls the Police (emer # or not), they are reporting information to the Police. The Police are not in the business of allowing a citizen to determine that "everything is ok". The caller wasnt asking about the weather, he (according to this thread) was asking about a Rifle being slung over the back of a patron. This kind of information is not going to be ignored or dismissed, espically when its probably recorded and documented.

On Detaining: It is not unreasonable to control a situation (briefly) in order to determine what is happening. Which is what has been discribed in this instance.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010