close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MGSL, gold dots, or something else?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HGxyz, Aug 4, 2012.

1. HGxyz

HGxyz

I got my first malfunction (new round jammed on top of the previously spent one) in my gen4 G26 after over 5000 rounds through it.

I was using my TR Graham match grade slide lock for the first time, when the failure occurred half way through a mag full of Speer +P 124 grain gold dots. It was also the first time I've ever used this ammo.

Has anyone has had a problem with either the MGSL or the gold dots?

I didn't have any more gold dots with me, and had no further issues through 200 additional rounds (Buffalo Bore and S&B FMJ). The recoil assembly has under 1000 rounds, the mag springs are good, and the gun was clean and properly lubed - this was the first mag of the day.

I'll need more range time to see if there really is a problem and narrow it down if there is, but I'm curious if anyone has had a problem with either the MGSL or the gold dots.

I'm used to extremely high reliability with Glock 9mms - less than 3 previous malfunctions (not counting bad ammo) in gen 2 G17, gen 3 G19 and G26, and this current one (my favorite) in somewhere over 50K rounds.

2. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

TR suggests a minimum of 200 round wear in period with his MGSL,I do know of some folks having feeding problems with Gold Dots.
    My suggestion would be put a couple hundred rounds through it and try the Gold Dots again. SJ 40

3. HGxyz

HGxyz

Another reader pointed out an old thread discussing a possible barrel chipping issue with the MGSL. So I'm putting my ($35) experiment with the MGSL on hold for now. I have to say, T.R. Graham's response to the issue is exemplary, and has the openness and level of responsibility I would like to see from Glock.

Meanwhile I am interested to see how the gold dot ammo works out. I have 500 rounds that are basically range ammo unless I can become confident in its reliability (which may be perfectly fine - I just don't personally know that yet).

4. barth

barth six barrels

I've got a G27 with Storm Lake 40-9mm conversion barrel.
    And have ran mucho grande boxes of Speer GDHP 124 gr P+
    through the gun with no problems at all.

In shooting lots of GDHP 124 +P, Federal HST 124 P+ and Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 +P+; I've found my gun, in my hands,
    groups significantly better with the GDHPs.
    It's my favored SD round in 9mm.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I can practically guarantee it's the modification and not the Gold Dots.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

If by chance you decide the MGSL is not for you I would be willing to purchase it from you for exactly what you paid for it,as TR is currently not selling them. All of my glocks are the old non dotted pentagon barrel variety and I'm in need of one,just a offer to keep in mind. SJ 40