close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MGSL chipped my barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by novasquid, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

He's a great guy and offered me the same. I, for one, do not feel he is responsible and opted to have GLOCK replace my barrel.

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

The barrel serialization isn't mandated by any US law. The only serial number required is on the frame. Replacement frames can come with the -1 to the serial number if you want to wait, or some generic G##### like I had on a replacement frame for a G19.
    As far as serail numbers being the same, you could have a Glock with AAA111 and a Smith with AAA111 and a Taurus with AAA111, ad nauseum. If the gun was stolen, the officer would have to verify manufacturer and serial number to make sure he is recovering the correct (read stolen) gun.

3. AustinTx

AustinTx

There is absolutely no way that MGSL is going to increase your accuracy, IMPO. I think, the claim is that the barrel locks up tighter, in the frame. That sounds real good, but the sights aren't on the frame, they're on the slide. The barrel needs to lock up tight, in the slide.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It also doesn't cost me $30 or whatever to make an excellent gun into one that won't work or eats itself.

I would like to see a test, using a Ransom Rest with and without the MGSL.

I'm sure Mr Graham is a fine man and I don't mean any disrespect toward him. The post is just my personal opinion and I have studied, on this thing, since it has been sold.

4. AustinTx

AustinTx

That is exactly what I expected from Mr. Graham. I think, he believes his part, does what he says, but I don't. Simple.

5. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Right. A lot of folks seem to be using the wrong terminology. Accuracy vs. consistency. The MGSL improves shot consistency, i.e. five shots in a 1.5" group vs a 2" group.

My groups, especially shooting .40 cal GLOCKS, are tighter when using Graham's MGSL.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. T. R. Graham

T. R. Graham The Glocksmith

Since I originally developed it back in 1998, I have sold many, many thousands of my MGSLs to many satisfied people happy with the accuracy improvement and without reports of any damage of any kind to the pistol.

Unfortunately there has been recent cases of barrel lug chipping in newer Glock pistols with my MGSL installed.

Since its inception, I have not changed the dimensional tolerances of the MGSL, the grade of steel used in its manufacture or the heat treating, and in measuring a number of barrels from the 2nd gen to the 4th gen I have found that Glock has not changed their barrel dimensions where it mates to the slide lock to any appreciable degree.

I tested the MGSL for well over a year for durability, reliability and function before I released it to the public, and since that time have put well over 10000 rounds fired though my personal carry gun, a G23 - and a lesser but still significant number of rounds fired in my G17, 19, 22, 31, 32, 20, 21 and G30 with MGSL’s installed without any indication of damage or chipping to any of the barrels.

However, due to reports of barrel chipping I am suspending all sales of the MGSL until I can determine the exact cause of this problem. I am also asking anyone who has experienced barrel chipping using my MGSL to please call me directly at 832-695-7192.

7. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

That's impressive

8. silversport

silversport

so no one is reporting issues with the stock slide lock and the newer barrels???...only with the MGSL???

Bill

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Apparently, it's an aftermarket part that serves no real purpose, unless you want a chip out of your barrel. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. T. R. Graham

T. R. Graham The Glocksmith

Due to reports of barrel chipping, I am suspending sales of the MGSL until I can determine the exact cause of this problem. I am asking anyone who has experienced barrel chipping using my MGSL to please call me at 832-695-7192.

11. dudel

dudel

Stock lock wasn't chipping the barrel. :rofl:

12. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

My G27 barrel has a very slight chip in the slide lock lip area, and I've only ever used the original OEM slide lock. It's an NRR prefix with the "dotted pentagon" marking.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  13. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Correct. If you look closely at the MGSL and the Glock OEM one there are differences bewtween them in regards to the notch location.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=117209

14. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  15. saxconnection

saxconnection Run 'n' Gunner

Couldn't agree more. One of the best conversations about Glocks I ever had was with TR Graham. I told him of a problem I was having where my accuracy dropped off. Instead of just telling me where to send the money order, he gave me a checklist of things to check and recommended I try them before ordering his MGSL. He risked losing a sale to help me with my problem. Awesome guy - 'nuff said.

Adam

16. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

:wow: Uh oh...

17. saxconnection

saxconnection Run 'n' Gunner

So after reading this, I took a look at my 17L which I just put a MGSL in last Saturday for a Match on Sunday. Sure enough, it is chipped (and after only 150 rounds!).

I called TR Graham's number and was told that if you have a PENTAGON WITH A DOT IN THE MIDDLE as a proofmark, DO NOT USE THE MGSL IN YOUR GLOCK!.

So that is what is happening. Glock has changed the heat treatment of their barrels and now things are going awry. It is not limited to Glocks utilizing the MGSL, either, Glock barrels with the proofmark described above are chipping with the stock slide lock as well.

Adam

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Folks experiencing this issue need to be contacting GLOCK and demanding that they replace the barrel. If this is indeed an issue with the steel in the barrel, GLOCK needs to know about it.

19. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

I agree if your talking about a stock slide lock and chipping.

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

My RTF2 G22 is all stock, has the "dot pentagon" barrel, but no sign of chipping. Very low round count thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.