Mexico. Is It Just Me?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by plp, Jan 15, 2017.

1. plp

plp

Or does anyone else think we need a major military takeover to stabilize them?

I'm looking 10 years out, when we hand over total sovereignty back to Mexico, withdraw troops, leave the government, police force, and municipal services we have invested in, to establish a republic and representative government that is both equitable and sustainable to the Mexican people.

5 years out, we have repatriated 12% the population consisting of expats, that left because conditions no longer allowed them to provide for their family. Living in America allowed them to do that with both honor and regularity. The actions of the past 5 years now provide them an opportunity to make that happen in their own back yard. To resist corruption, to stand up for themselves, to devote their energies to strengthening their own country, while going to sleep at night in their own bed, next to their own wife. That they are men of honor dictated they leave their families, travel a thousand miles away or farther, sleep 4 to a room with equally committed men, eat little so there was more to send home, and work every second of overtime available, to provide.

2 years out, we have finally stamped out every vestige of every cartel, and declare victory. The death toll is in the 5 figures, with our troops, their troops, and all the innocents caught in between. Our success or failure at achieving this objective will be measured by the statisticians and theologians.

3 months out, we have achieved landfall along the northern, eastern, and western borders of Mexico. Airborne has secured both Mexico City and Tasco, and are radiating outward as resupply flights are landing at multiple international and regional airports.

Day 30. Secondary troops are being deployed to relieve the expeditionary forces, some whom have been at the tip of the spear since Day One.

Day 15 Ground troops have penetrated as far as 45 miles south of the Mexican/American border in some places, tertiary artillery barrages are now being more focused on holdout areas in large part to firsthand intelligence with the indigenous population.

Day -30 The U.S. Border Service today began electronic surveillance in conjunction with Army, Air Force and Marine support in a joint effort to ascertain the present condition, specifically travel points heavily used by both illegal border crossings and drug cartel activity, in an effort to stem the present lax conditions along the U.S/Mexican border.

2. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Build the wall. Stop the flow of drugs and money - both North and South bound. Once the money dries up, the cartel influence is reduced, the corruption ceases, and the people take back their government.

It's worth dreaming about. Won't happen, but it's worth dreaming about.

cowboywannabe, robhic, JBnTX and 3 others like this.

3. janice6

janice6

It's similar to Iraq, Afghanistan and much of the middle East. You can't 'give" someone what they don't want enough to take for themselves. Our government said we were giving them democracy, and they said they didn't want it.

I suspect we would give the Mexicans a "clean" country and they would lose it shortly thereafter. All we would have to remember of it would be another American body count.

4. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Mexico is a different culture and not interested in becoming an American clone. Bribery is as ingrained and accepted as saying "thanks" in America. It would be easier to teach a pig to ride a bike than stop bribery, aka "la mordida.

The Great Wall of China...failed to stop the invading Mongul hoards
    The Berlin Wall....failed to isolate East Germany, helped bankrupt the West.
    The "tortilla curtain" in El Paso TX....failed to stop influx of Mexicans.
    The Walls of Jericho......Fell to the dancing and chanting of the enemy.

Does anybody else see a pattern here?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. peng

peng

Hard to say on this. On one hand it would be nice to add a 51st state, or 52nd if you count Canada. On the other hand all it would do is move the wall further south.

I'm conflicted on the drug thing also. The flow of drugs from Mexico only happens because the people of this country want them, but the government of the same people wants a war against it. Eliminate that and the flow comes from elsewhere. The root of the problem is the desire not the supply. Probably cannot ever fix that side of it.

Anyhow what would we call Mexican food if we annexed them, just food ?

hogship, TX OMFS and Fred Hansen like this.
  6. plp

plp

Oh, you've just punched the hole in my ideological balloon.

You are exactly right, forgot about la mordida.

And you are dead on, is just part of the landscape and as reliable as the tides.

I have had to work through that a few times with the new hires, back in the day. They were simply amazed that nobody was getting a kickback, that they could just show up for work on time, do a good job, work safe, keep an eye out for each other, and didn't have to kick back a penny to anyone.

At some point, one of the foreman would come to me and request so and so be put on his crew. Ah, mordida, he had found someone to give his money to, to improve his life. It didn't matter if that guy could do anything for him or not, he had his magic feather and felt better, so that was all that mattered.

Paul53 likes this.
  7. TF2Addict

TF2Addict

Yeah we have a wonderful track record in such things.

8. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

A wall only makes it harder to go somewhere, it's only part of the solution.

You have to remove the incentive. Stop any way that they can make money here, and they will self deport. That means we go after employers, schools, any city, state or gov employee that provides any form of welfare or aid.

We might even want to let some stay. For those, we need to ID them, then decide if we want to let some stay TEMPORARILY in a guest worker status, or not.

9. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

if we annexed mexico the length of wall needed on our southern border would be less, but we would spend WAY more on water purification and plumbing systems.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Your statements regarding various walls contain some rather glaring historical inaccuracies.

The Great Wall of China...kept the barbarian hordes at bay for centuries and was never strategically defeated. The Mongol hordes were victorious because of ineffective Chinese leadership.

The Berlin Wall...effectively kept East and West German citizens from intermingling as it was designed until the breakup of the Soviet Union. The wall did not cause bankruptcy anywhere. The bankruptcy caused the wall to fail.

The "tortilla curtain" in El Paso TX... I have no knowledge of this one.

The Walls of Jericho...Did not fall to dancing and chanting. They fell to the hand of God. Don't worry, I don't expect you to acknowledge this.

The Walls of Troy...withstood the Greek siege until the Greeks were ready to give up and go home...only defeated because of the arrogance of the Trojan leadership.

Certainly an undefended wall is useless, no one is suggesting we build and forget, but I imagine this wall is designed to do three things.

1. Channel the illegal aliens into an area where they are more easily detected and apprehended.

2. Delay the illegal aliens so they are more easily detected and apprehended.

3. Send a message.

Walls must be defended that much is obvious, and this one will require a president and people with the wherewithal to do so, but to say a wall doesn't provide a tactical and strategic advantage against third world invaders is sophomoric.

Edit: The most expensive part of most endeavors is manpower. Although the initial investment might be high (but who cares since Mexico is paying for it? :)), the wall should reduce manpower expenditures over the long term if we are serious about defending our Southern border.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

ModGlock17, JMag, HammerG19 and 5 others like this.
  11. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Trump should tell the Mexican gov't that it is okay to declare war on the drug cartels and destroy them- not to weakly prosecute them.

happyguy likes this.
  12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Maybe we could assist with signals intel so they could locate and destroy.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

HammerG19 and DonGlock26 like this.
  13. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

That would certainly be in the security interests of the United States.

14. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

I'd be Ok if we supported the legitimate government of Mexico in their fight against Mexico with weapons, close air support, Intel, and Special Ops advisors.

Seems to me Mexican Cartels are a more pressing problem than Syria WAS.

hurley842002 and happyguy like this.
  15. WT

WT Millennium Member

America first. Keep our troops home. Don't get involved in the internal affairs of foreign countries.

Penalize those who support illegals from Mexico.

16. narkcop128

narkcop128

I'm glad somebody pointed out the above fallacy concerning walls. They work.

happyguy likes this.
  17. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

Excellent point. Not to be political or racist but a lot of places get fixed and it doesn't take people long to un-fix it.

Case in point: They tore down the old, multi-level housing projects from the 30's & 40's. Originally low-cost housing for returning veterans and other lower income families.

Until the 60's or thereabout they were nice communities (I know folks who lived there for a while). Into the following years they became ghettos. High crime, drugs, you name it. Hotbeds of criminality. They got torn down in the last decade, turned into multi-family housing (4-plexes, I believe) and the area spruced up very nicely.

Now the "gimmedats" have returned, ambivalence of upkeep with a lot of 'em and this new version of urban housing has deteriorated. Pearls before swine.

I see Mexico doing similar. They gonna be what they gonna be. Doing it for them will catalyze the reasons they've not done it themselves before now and the cycle will repeat. Just IMO but I have a feeling....

bruscifer, aircarver and happyguy like this.
  18. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

As has been demonstrated at times. Stop the jobs/free stuff and they self-deport. Like taking the sugar and the ants go away....

19. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Trying to export our form of government and cultural values to another country which does not share them is another failed missionary effort destined to cause most of the Mexican people to hate us just as they did after several previous military incursions by the USA. They will not change under the jackboots of foreign invaders, just like most of us wouldn't.

Glasgow and happyguy like this.
  20. Dave514

Dave514

Were going broke trying to fix countries with more savages than can be kept stable. Including our own country. And we're not good at it.