Mexican 'Assassin Teams' May Target U.S. Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by lawman_77008, Apr 7, 2010.

1. lawman_77008

lawman_77008 JBT

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/06/mexican-assassin-teams-target-law-enforcement/?test=latestnews

Mexican 'Assassin Teams' May Target U.S. Law Enforcement, DHS Warns

By Joshua Rhett Miller- FOXNews.com

Law enforcement officers in west Texas are on guard following an alert issued by the Department of Homeland Security warning of retaliatory killings for a recent crackdown on the Barrio Azteca gang.

Law enforcement officers in west Texas are on guard following an alert issued by the Department of Homeland Security warning of retaliatory killings for a recent crackdown on the Barrio Azteca gang.

David Cuthbertson, special agent in charge of the FBI's El Paso division, said the paramilitary-style gang has an "open policy" to kill its rivals and may turn its sights toward local law enforcement officers.

"[They] are extremely cold-blooded and aggressive," Cuthbertson told FoxNews.com. "The killings are done really without thought and any kind of remorse."

Citing uncorroborated information, Homeland Security issued an Officer Safety Alert on March 22, advising lawmen in the El Paso sector to vary their routes to and from work and to wear body armor while on duty. The alert also suggested that officers' relatives pay closer attention to unusual activity in the area.

"The Barrio Azteca gang may issue a 'green light' authorizing the attempted murder of [law enforcement officers] in the El Paso area," the alert read. "Due to the threat, it is recommended that [law enforcement officers] take extra safety precautions."

The Barrio Azteca gang, which formed in Texas prisons in the 1980s, is a brother organization to the Aztecas gang in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, the epicenter of Mexico's violent drug war, Cuthbertson said.

He said members of the gang's "assassination teams" are thought to work for very small monthly fees. One official from the Drug Enforcement Administration has said Aztecas have been known to kill for as little as $100. Since 2006, drug violence across Mexico has claimed nearly 18,000 lives.

Eduardo "Tablas" Ravelo, the reputed boss of Barrio Azteca members living in Juarez, remains on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List, and the FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading to his arrest. He and other Barrio Azteca gang members serve as hitmen for the Vicente Carrillo Fuentes drug trafficking organization -- also known as the Juarez cartel -- and are responsible for several killings, according to the FBI.

The DHS warning came just days after hundreds of Barrio Azteca gang members were interviewed by officials from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and FBI following the murders of three people linked to the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez on March 13. More than 200 officers from at least 18 agencies participated in "Operation Knockdown," which resulted in at least 26 felony arrests of alleged Azteca members.

The Barrio Aztecas are believed to be aligned with the Juarez cartel against the Sinaloa drug cartel for control of the billion-dollar drug-trafficking routes through the El Paso-Ciudad Juarez corridor. Since 2008, the Aztecas have been rivals of the Artistic Assassins, or "Double A's," who serve as contract killers for the Sinaloa cartel, Cuthbertson said.

"They're very organized," he said. "They have a code they go by and certainly a communication network inside and outside of the prison system."

Cuthbertson said Barrio Azteca gang members have been found in central Texas towns like Odessa and Midland, as well as in southern New Mexico.

Ricardo Valles de la Rosa, an Azteca sergeant, said last week in a purported confession that his gang was hunting for the vehicle of a Texas jail guard who was killed in one of two SUVs attacked in the March 13 shootings that killed El Paso jail officer Arthur Redelfs, his wife Lesley Enriquez, who worked as an employee of the U.S. consulate in Ciudad Juarez, and Jorge Alberto Salcido, the husband of another consulate worker.

Valles de la Rosa, according to his statement, was instructed by Azteca brass to target Redelfs due to alleged harsh treatment of Azteca members in jail. Valles de la Rosa was ordered last week to be held for trial on weapons charges for allegedly carrying a 9mm pistol when he was arrested.

Ron Martin, president of the El Paso Municipal Police Officers' Association, said that while he takes any threat to the law enforcement community seriously, he won't change his habits.

"It's not the first time a gang has put a hit out on El Paso police officers," Martin said. "Our guys are very highly trained, so they're pretty well prepared for just about anything. For them to come out and attack a law enforcement officer in the United States would be detrimental to their business."

Martin called the March 13 killings "unacceptable" and said he felt the killings were no less shocking because they occurred in Mexico, just across the border, rather than in El Paso or elsewhere in Texas.

"It doesn't matter if it actually happens across an imaginary dotted line, you're killing people for money," he said. "It's unacceptable."

Asked if he had changed his daily routines since the DHS alert, Martin said: "It's not like we're doing anything different because a bunch of murderers -- I call 'em terrorists -- are threatening us. Personally, I don't do anything differently than I did before. We're not changing the way we do our job because of them."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

That part worries me.Don't be complacent,no matter how good you think you are.
    Prayers keeping the officers safe.

3. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

4. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I don't take it as him being complacent, as much him letting it be known that he's not going to give these thugs the power to dictate how he lives his life. In essence he's telling them, "I'm not scared of you punks. Suck it."

I read it as more of a giant "F YOU!". If any of us start running scared from these dirt bags, they might begin to think we all will run from them.

There's a reason the drug cartels aren't knee deep in our ranks like they are in parts of Mexico, and they tend to have a policy of not coming after us. Don't give them foothold by showing them they can intimidate or influence us.

5. jethro21

jethro21

"It's not the first time a gang has put a hit out on El Paso police officers," Martin said. "Our guys are very highly trained, so they're pretty well prepared for just about anything. For them to come out and attack a law enforcement officer in the United States would be detrimental to their business."

Prior to a week ago, I wouldn't have thought about it this way. I recently did some compartment training at the Nogales port of entry. We (city officers) immediately noticed how open their work areas were to threats from both sides of the border. The officer told us that in the case of retaliation, simply closing the borders for even a day would bring a huge amount of pressure and revenue loss for the Cartels using that particular route. He cited a time a few years back when the borders were closed after a murder of (I think, could be wrong) a Border Patrol Agent, and was re-opened a day or so later after a high level Mexican government official made some pleading calls to Washington. Unfortunately a good guy lost his life for that to happen.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. Unnamed

Unnamed

Stay safe out there, until we authorize JDAMs at least.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Don't take it lightly even if you decide to stand strong against the threat. These guys are for real. They aren't some stupid gangbangers that miss more than they hit.

In other news, we need to be unleashed against these guys. Total war. It's the only way to win a fight. There is no winning a restrained war of defense. They have already declared war upon us, we just won't open our eyes to acknowledge the true gravity of the threat.

JDAM's, Predator strikes, Spectre Gunships, Tomahawks, and a few of the thermobaric bombs would be a good start.

I long for the days of Ronald Wilson Reagan. If he were around, he would give a speech declaring the drug cartels illegal and that bombing shall commence in 5 minutes. With this president... we'll be told to not to rush to judgment, apologize to the cartels, and have a beer with them. Then get our heads cut off and our bodies dumped in vats of acid.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

9. ugly8604

ugly8604

We recently had a surgical hit carried out on a low time dope dealer in an alley outside of his apartment complex. Word from the CI's was he had a green light on him from down south. Witnesses described the suspect as a male Hispanic in his twenties with a military hair cut and athletic build. He used some type of 5.56 rifle and ten ringed the dope dealer 4 times. No brass was recovered at the scene.

They are already here.

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

As if it wasn't enough to have to worry about some AQ sleeper cell running around planning mass destruction, now we've got Mexican assassins to think of too? Makes my head spin...

Ugly, what part of the country are you in? I'm only thinking Michigan might have a problem due to a large amount of migrant worker-types, allowing the blending-in of some of these problem children.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  11. ugly8604

ugly8604

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yes, living in paradise, aren't we?

13. deadday

deadday

To quote the venerable Killa Kyleon, '..they say you wanna come and hit me? I ain't hard to find, I'm in Texas *****, come and get me....'

[​IMG]

14. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Barrio Aztecas and any other gang in the El Paso area should be watched for carefully. Keep in mind some of those in El Paso have people whom they may be acquainted with in different parts of the United States. I would have no doubt of that possibility in the KC area.

15. Naelbis

Naelbis

So when are the lawmakers gunna get smart and realize gangs=terrorists? Just in a different package. Just let us roll em all up and throw away the keys. I'm sure there would be no lack of volunteers for the firing squads.

16. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

Asked if he had changed his daily routines since the DHS alert, Martin said: "It's not like we're doing anything different because a bunch of murderers -- I call 'em terrorists -- are threatening us. Personally, I don't do anything differently than I did before. We're not changing the way we do our job because of them."

This I agree with, and I feel they should be treated as such using extreme prejudice.

17. Hack

Unfortunately there are many whom we would call voters. And, guess what party needs all the voters they can get on their side?

18. Edwood

Edwood Todo por México

Intimidation is there strongest weapon. Most of the real professionals in this gangs are former GAFES (Mexican army special forces) or federal police officers, and almost all of them have some training from your government, and other’s like the Israelis or the Venezuelans,( their jungle warfare training is legendary).
    They abandon the armed forces mostly for the money this groups offer. It’s sad to say, that a lot of the people I worked whit in my army days are now on the other side of the coin. But not all of them, there are a lot of dedicated professionals, like myself that are trying to change things, we have a long way to go.

19. Hack

Definitely your efforts and the efforts of other like minded people are appreciated by a lot of people I am sure on both sides of the border. I know of the low pay that many in your profession and in the military receive. It is no wonder that they are attracted to the much higher pay of the bad guys. Some here in various parts of the US allow themselves to be similarly attracted.

Prayers and good thoughts for your efforts.

20. Hack

Yes. You too brother.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010