close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Metal bits from rear diff.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DriBak, Feb 5, 2010.

1. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

[​IMG]
    Changed my rear diff. oil and was surprised to see this on the magnet.
    I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4X2, it has the locking rear diff. It has a DANA 44 variant.
    I had noticed an intermittent, slight slip and was thinking axle wrap from U joints, guess I was wrong.
    Any drive line guys out there. What do you think is the problem and how much is it gonna cost me to repair :steamed:

2. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Did you inspect the ring gear and the spiders in the differential for missing teeth or cracks ? if there is no chips or cracks on those, then i suspect its from the pinion gear. As long as its not whining or clunking, I would not be to concerned . However I would not tow anything heavy. Cost to repair probably around $600-1000 in a shop.
    If you're really concerned you may be able to find a salvage unit and swap the entire rear axle, but its probably going to be around the same cost. Doing a ring gear and pinion is not really a DIY but it can be done with the proper tools and some patience.

3. boozer

boozer

I agree, looks bad. Those are big chunks. I doubt the slight slip had anything to do with this.

If its not making major clacking noises, drive it. The repair isn't going to cost any more. If it starts making noises , get a salvage yard axle. Cheaper than paying for labor to rebuild an axle.

It might go for another 100k like this, thats why they put the magnet in there. Those pieces could have come off in the first 1k miles.

The Dana 44 is a strong axle.

4. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Thanks for the input. It did not happen until after 50K miles, I had been changing the gear oil more frequently. The last change I used Royal Purple Full Syn. It does not seem to "slip" at take off now.
    It is not making any noise and I don't tow, so I guess I will drive it until it really breaks. I called the drive line shop and he guesstimated 450 and up, he also commented on how tough the DANA 44 rear end is.
    I did some reading online and found that Nissan did have some problems with these rear ends going out from 17-35K miles, too bad mine didn't break then. :faint:

5. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

You really need to take the cover off and inspect everything. It's real easy just remove the bolts and take a screwdriver or chiesel and pop it off. Your gear oil will spill out and you can spray it with brake cleaner and give it a good looking over. You can generally clean you cover and use rtv silicone sealant to reinstall your cover back. Take pics and post what you've seen. I had to rebuild a axle on my jeep once, yeah go to a professional. It was a sucky job but I got it done right.

6. deputy tom

deputy tom

I had a similar situation a year or so ago.Low rumble noise.Turned out to be three chipped teeth on the pinion gear.$275.00 for the kit including shipping from Summit Racing and $150.00 labor from the local mechanic, no more problems.YMMV.tom.

7. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

No Bueno. But it could be worse, imagine if the magnet wasn't there. :wow:

I'd let it ride for a while and maybe change the diff. oil again next time you change the engine oil, and see whats in there. I don't know if you off road with it but I wouldn't be doing any of that anymore, if it's gonna break, it will most definitely do it when you are 5 miles back in the woods, with no cell phone service and a storm brewing.:shocked:

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

You gotta damn nice avatar my friend:thumbsup:

9. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Looks like a spider gear or the ring gear is going. I had similar but worse carnage in one of my mustangs the first time I destroyed the rear end. Heard a loud popping noise for a few weeks, and then it just went.

I probably wouldn't drive it like that, if something gets jammed up in just the right way when it goes, it could lock up the rearend and you'd probably wreck.