close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Messing it up for everyone else

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by valkyrie182, Sep 26, 2004.

1. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

When I am out and about, camping, climbing, or backpacking, I try to be as considerate as possible about making too much noise or leaving a mess behind. I try to practice as much of the "Leave No Trace" motto as I can without getting too ridiculous about it. Naturally, it makes me quite angry when I am out hiking and I come across a heap of trash along the side of the trail. Usually the contents are predictable(not that I rummage through it), the leftover beer cans, food, and condom wrappers from someone's good time a few days ago.
    How much extra effort would it have taken to get a plastic bag and put your own trash in it? They obviously went through the trouble of lugging a case of beer with them on the trail, why not take it out once it is quite a bit lighter? It is one of those things that really aggravates me. The best was when I stumbled across a group of those bleeding heart liberal pascifist anti-everything hippies in the woods, who had perhaps the biggest mess surrounding them I had seen since the previous weeks round of frat parties. Save the planet, but leave your trash everywhere and never bathe. Am I the only one that gets ticked off when idiots leave their mess strewn about the woods for everyone else to see?

2. Blah!

Blah! Guest

It pisses me off too.:steamed:

3. noway

noway

The trash left behinds hurts everybody ( hunter and hiker ). Soon or later most of these public access locations are going to close down. The trash left by the few , leaves a bad taste on the states mouth that all hunters are hogs.
    :(

4. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Was out on the grouse hunt a few weeks ago. We passed a half a dozen trucks leaving the mountain as we treked to the top. Low and behold a burning campfire and a pile of beer cans. That is very irritating. Not only did the leave their trash behind there was no assurance that that fire would not burn down our dry mountains.:( :(

I guess it would be better to make their vehicles look like the road signs in the country...LOL;P ;f ;P

5. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

I was in VA at George Washington Nat Park...Found a WHOLE case of Beer that was left from the night before. Unopen and cold...

6. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

I suppose that would be a good find. hope you took your trash with you.

7. muddydog

muddydog

we always carry some trash bags..in our gear.

spend 5 minutes picking up...
    it makes us look good in everybodies eyes.

8. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

+1

BTW, if you get a good fire going, you can burn beer cans. It's better than carrying them out.

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

One of my favorite gravel pits just got "gated" due to slobs dumping their old washer / dryers and other junk out there. The old timer that owned the property never had a problem with people using the pit for shooting, and most of us cleaned up after ourselves, but some slob ruined it for everyone.

I've pulled a lot of stuff off of my land where people dump junk on one of the woods roads. Have been tempted to put a gate on it, or string a cable across the road, but some of the locals use it as an ATV / snowmobile trail, so I don't want to make them pay for the stupidity of others.

10. Tvov

Tvov

I know what you mean, and I always try to leave the area better than when I found it.

On a good note, when my wife and I were hiking for a week on the Appalachian (sp?) Trail about 10 years ago in the "100 mile wilderness" in Maine, there wasn't one piece of trash to be seen. We routinely saw two to three groups of hikers a day. Possibly because the area was sooo far out there, by the time people got there they couldn't imagine spoiling the area. Also the "slobs" were probably to lazy to go all the way out there!