close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Messages being marked 'read' before I've gotten to read them

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by BikerGoddess, Nov 8, 2002.

1. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Just wondering if there's any way I can get messages to not be marked 'read' before I actually have a chance to read them.

I search for new messages, which usually brings up about 8 pages of messages. If I stop to answer any of them, the next page shows that all messages have been read. Which means that if there's more than one page, when I click the message header, it goes to page one and I have to try to figure out what I've already read.

Kinda annoying, so I usually just skip all of them after that.

Any way to have it not reset the read messages in the middle of my session?

Laura

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Sorry no one has responded.
    And I have no answer.
    I take it that you are using the New Thread feature. I have not tried that. I just go to my favorite sections and use the Folders as a guide.

Even if I post, the rest stay the same.
    Regards.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

4. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Eh, I imagine there's not a good answer. I just wanted to whine about it anyway :)

The view new posts option is very good for us lazy people. Plus I noticed when I went from forum to forum, it would start marking some of the older ones as read before I got to them, too, then I had to *gasp* look at the date.

All things considered, this is not the worst thing that has happened to me recently ;f

Laura

5. MoonMan

MoonMan CLM

What might be happening is that if one spends too much time on one screen, the server thinks that one has gone inactive, and marks the threads as "no new posts" (gray, closed envelope). This is annoying, and I wish that users could have some control over how long it takes to time us out. (My experience tells me that this time is about 30 minutes.)

Suggestion: have two Glock Talk windows open. One to do your work (reading, replying, etc.), the other you should refresh about every 10 minutes, even if you don't care about the content. This tells the server that you are still around, and keeps the little icons accurate.