close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mesquite smoked beans.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Jun 3, 2004.

1. noway

noway

I've been playing around with the idea of getting a little smoke flavor into beans prior to cooking here the method.

1> Soak your hard beans no less than 12-24hrs or longer after checking and removing any rocks/dirts/splits/etc......

2> drain the wate place & the beans into a colander or similiar item

3> start the smoker

4> place colander with beans on top of the smoker in colander

5> the object is to allow the smoke to hit the beans but not cook or dry them out. You don't need to maintain any real temps. Allow the soak beans time to digest about 10-15min of smoke to really flavor them.

6> remove the beans and cook the normal way that you do. You will need less seasoning due to the smoke that was inject into the beans.

I 've had the best results using a light colored bean like Pintos or Romans and using mesquito wood, but any beans and any wood will work. The beans will tarnish and take on a rust colored due to the smoke.

Try this on your next pot of beans, and I bet you will be impress. No more need for any cured ham or bullion for flavoring. Try this at a shorter time to control just how much smokey flavor you get and work your way upwards. Mesquite/Oak/Alder provide some great flavoring, with mesquite being the strongest flavor.

Enjoy ;c

2. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

If I'm going through all that trouble, I'm cookin' something other than some damned beans. ;)

3. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I did something similar and it works out pretty well. I made a beer can chicken and also had a cast iron pot of baked beans going at the same time. I was using Jack Daniels whisky barrel chips (I have a cast iron smoker box in my grill). It added a very nice flavor to the mix.

4. noway

noway

Yeah that will work but this method is even better.

Also if you do what I suggested, you can add a little bit of oil on the outer surface of the beans to keep them from drying out prior to getting the dosage of smoke. They only need about 5-15mins of smoke and no more.

btw: That jack daniels word chip is the bomb. Slight more expensive than plan woods but very unique flavor.

{If I'm going through all that trouble, I'm cookin' something other than some damned beans.}

I always cook something else along with the beans. And wash it all down like with a nice frosty beer. Michelob Amber bock goes very good with it. ;c