Mesothelioma - Your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Mar 27, 2012.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

So...dad's life is coming to an end.
    He's leaving the hospital and returning home. My wife (an RN) is moving in with them to provide 24/7 care, and Hospice is providing the rest.

Terminal mesothelioma.

His oncologist asked (almost suggested) to mom that she should seek compensation, since funds have been set aside specifically for cases like his. Mom wants to pursue this, so I'm helping.

He worked in the boiler room as a steam fitter for GM for 36 years. He's a poster child for mesothelioma.

I've spoken by phone with a couple of the "asbestos.com" law firms...and all of them have had pretty much the same response: "He worked where? Doing What? For how long? He's been diagnosed?....We'll overnight the paperwork to you right now.":upeyes:

Has anyone here in the brain trust had any experience with the whole mesothelioma process? I hate lawyers. God, I do. But if this means dad's medical expenses won't force mom to sell her home and move in with one of her kids, I'll knock down walls.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I am sorry you are going through this. I am actually dealing with an elderly relative with lung cancer as well.

However, what did the Lawyers do? They are going to save you in this case...but that is another story.

I would not go with one of the TV lawyer types. You can find a competent local Attorney who can give it a more personal and local touch, and will end up getting you the same settlement. (it is based on a scale for meso cases) In theory, the end result will be similar but the local guy will hold your hand a lot more through it all.

3. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

No help here other than I'll pray for a peaceful resolution for your father. If your mom needs support after your dad dies, and he died from this, I think that would take some of the sting out of dealing with the lawyers. Look to her welfare.

4. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I'll leave the lawers out of the equation, but it is a death sentence. There is no cure currently for this form of cancer.

Im sorry to be so blunt, but this is the facts.

5. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Good advice for you.

All the best to you and your family.

--- Sent from my old CB radio - Channel 19

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  6. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I'm sorry about your dad. Please don't feel like you are doing anything wrong by seeking compensation. This is exactly the right reason to hire a lawyer. They aren't the bad guy, they are your ally.

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

In fairness to UHLawpup and the like....the 'lawyer hate' is just a gut reaction. I deal with ambulance chasers on a regular basis. I know they're as professional and human as anyone else. Just rhetoric from me.

My only concern is keeping mom in her home without having to worry about keeping the lights on. We have a strong enough family that she would never have to worry about being homeless, but it's my desire to keep her as stress-free as possible during the coming months.

Rabbi, what's this scale you speak of? That's the sort of insight I was hoping to find by posting this story here.

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Sorry to hear of this. If it's any help, do some research about the town of Libby, Montana and it's battle with Grace, Inc. over this. It may help. HH

9. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I wish more people would be blunt...no need to apologize.

We had a family meeting Saturday evening....right after dinner that mom cooks every Saturday, as she's done for 40 years. I started the meeting with saying, "My dad is dying..." that made everything else a lot easier.

...I'm off to download "A simple kind of man..."

10. Jake514

Jake514

airmotive,
    I am very sorry to hear of your Father's situation. Regarding the TV attorneys, I also would not suggest them as once the case is turned over to them they will likely simply refer your father's case to another firm, collect the referral fees and you will be distanced from your legal council.

You may be better to contact other support groups or personal friends for better legal referrals closer to home.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

You can google it and if you weed out all the Lawyers ads, you can find it. The simple truth is, the Meso trust fund pays out based on a number of factors (a scale) such as "how long since last smoked..." and a number of other factors.

The pay out ranges from about 100K to over 1 million.

Lawyers would just about kill each other for your business. For a time, "mesothelioma" was the highest priced pay per click on google. It is still very high. Attorneys want your business, this is one of the biggest cash cows for them. Again, that is why I would tell you to find a reputable local Lawyer. He will be more than happy to help and he is local, so you can make him earn his (large) cut by holding your hand as needed.

12. 427

He worked at SFRR for decades and while not diagosed with lung cancer, he was part of an asbestos settlement. His Pet/CT scans show scaring consistent with asbestos exposure.
    I know that my parents have been dealing with this lawsuit for years, over 8 or 9. From what's in the paperwork, a lot of the companies named in the suit have declared bankruptcy or no longer exist and IIRC his part of settlement amounted to peanuts.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.
    Matt aka 427

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Sorry for your situation. We have monitors on that have the news channels on during the day and these commercials come on several times during the day about mesothelioma claims. I can't help but wonder what the lawyers make in filing the claims for those who are inflicted with this disease.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Get her compensation. What WR Grace knew they were killing people.

This isn't some BS litigation like silicone breast implants.

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Just a little update.
    We've signed with a local atty who is bringing in outside help. Part of the info gathering process is contacting as many of dad's old co-workers as we can find. Of them, half either have or have already died from mesothelioma. It turns out, the company would order 50lb bags of asbestos from Canada, and my dad and his buddies would dump the bags into mixing vats to add the paste to make pipe insulation for the steam plant. Breathing protection was never talked about.
    The lawyer said I need to be checked for asbestos exposure from time to time because a lot of asbestos can come home on clothing. (I still have dad's old "Power House" coveralls.)

Dad has probably another 48 hours left with us. He can no longer speak or drink; and he said he doesn't want any more meds. I gave him a shave and a warm towel last night. We've said our goodbyes and I've told him thank you for everything. How many times a week do you use the term "Thanks for everything"? I'm really contemplating the true meaning of that now.

16. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

:(

I'm so sorry. This is truly heartbreaking to read.

17. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Damned sorry. Grasp and hold tight to all of the good memories.

18. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I won't be blunt this time, but I wish you solice and
    compassion. I realize that this is a very hard time for
    you.

19. JAY-TX

JAY-TX

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. My father died from mesothelioma as well. Send me a message with any questions you have and I will answer them as best I can when I get off work. If you don't mind me asking. What city are you located in?

20. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

I have never had mesothelioma but it was not from lack of trying. On the east edge of Globe, Ariz there was an underground asbestos mine. Apaches from the San Carlos worked it for the emost part, right up to the point of crushing it and bagging it in burlap bags. Come the weekend the mine management wanted to load the asbestos into box cars. The Apaches said "No, it's weekend time and weekend time is party time."

Hire high school kids. We'd load box cars, swearing never to do it again because of itching and driy throats from breathing asbestos dust. Come next weekend the itching would be mostly gone, the throat not quite so dry, and the pockets approaching empty, so we'd do it again.

I just had an experience with one of those super funds. If you lived in certain parts of Arizona and certain parts of Nevada from 1952 through twenty years from now survivors can collect from this fund. In my case it was my mother. For my sister, who died of acute luekemia, she got a double whammy. She lived in Ariz and Nev. In Nev it was the surface atomic tests.

I, too, would avoid those yell at the mike, ambulance chasing lawyers. Our lawyers fee was paid by that fund.