close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mesa, AZ 2004 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Apr 17, 2004.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post all stories here.:)

2. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

Stages seemed to get backed up more then last year.

Got there at 0930. Didn't finish up untill 1230 or so.

Computerized scoring system was very intermittent. System kept going down and then it was back up.

Windy and dusty.

I blew the "5 to Glock" stage with too much penalty time.

friendly people as always.

3. Thom

Thom

I haven't been to one in about 3 years. Do they still sell the orange mags, and have Glock armorers at the shoots.

Thanks
    Thom
    :cool:

4. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

Made the mistake of not putting my name down at all stages when I first got there.

Ran a couple practice arrays and didn't do good enough so I went to the main range to practice for 10 minutes.

Lots of wind knocking down poppers and scattering score sheets around. Computers didn't work too good. My card was used for someone else and entered into the computer by accident. Took 15 minutes to figure that out.

First time I went on a Saturday compared to Sunday and will be my last.

Granted, I did some practice and should have had my name on the sheets at least 30 minutes earlier. But I got there close to 11:00 and didn't finish till past 4:00...

I did wander back to the main range for another 30 minutes, but there were a ton of names in front of me...

When I went on Sundays, I was almost done too fast to savor the moment. I got to savor too much standing around today.

However, lots of fun as always...

5. pluvo

pluvo Experiment G26

Dammit, it's already Tuesday and they STILL don't have the results posted!

j/k ;f

I got there about 8:45 and was done before noon. I'm not sure that it was the computers that were slowing things down so much as they had to run paper sheets too. The folks who pre-registered had barcodes, but those who registered that day were handled manually. This is the first time for the new system, once they work the kinks out it will be alright. I liked getting my little score sheet printed out for me to take home. Very convenient.

Windy and dusty was no joke. I got whacked twice by the tent poles while waiting to shoot the plates.

I shot better than last year.

Finally had my first FTE ever during my last run on the plates. I did the 'tap & rack' just like I'd trained and only lost a couple of seconds. Very pleased with my reaction. I've seen folks just stand there while the seconds tick away.

I was glad to see some kids competing. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to go with me.

My only regret is that I had to hurry home so the wife could go to work and didn't have time to see the armorer. I’ll have to make time next year.

6. DaleRhea

DaleRhea

Alice and I just returned home from our tour of the great desert southwest. One of our stops was the GSSF match in Mesa.
    The weather was wonderful, (not raining ice water down the back of the neck) sunny and bright, although a little breezy for some people’s tastes. Some of those gusts were strong enough to knock down the poppers.
    This is the first match I’ve attended where the hand-held computers were used on all three stages. I liked it a lot. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once everybody gets used to the new hardware it will be very slick. It is great to have a print-out immediately after you complete each stage. It allows you to see your score on the spot and the data needs only to be downloaded and processed to give match results.
    I also liked having the sign-in sheets at each stage. It keeps everybody in sequence and prevents inadvertent shuffling of score sheets. It is also easier to read names from a list than to wrestle with score sheets while trying to read and call out names, and the bar-coded cards are easier to handle than score sheets.
    I wish they had scored the warm-up stage – we’d all be famous! It was really great to have it there. They had all three stages set up in one bay, using all steel so the targets didn’t have to be taped, and they had paper targets at 10 and 25 yards for sighting in.
    In the match, I did well in Unlimited, but not so hot in Stockmeister. Alice shot okay, not her sparkling best, but certainly far from her worst. The hard-working club members went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. We also had great fun meeting our fellow team members. If we didn’t win, our team at least logged the most highway miles. They drove from Texas and we drove from Washington (state).
    Our congratulations to the Rio Salada RO teams for having the courage to learn how to use the new scoring equipment while their impatient “customers” waited eagerly for their turn to shoot. Thanks as always to Scott, Jackie and the rest of the GSSF team for their hard work.

Dale

7. vitotelephono

vitotelephono

It was my first time and lots of fun. However, not all stages were manned with enough personnel when needed. There was a big mixup over those that had the bar code cards and those with sign up sheets. Those with sign up sheets got misplaced and wound up waiting as long as 3 hours to shoot one stage. Noted was also the malfunction of one of the computers at one of the stages.

The GSSF armorer was great. I KB'd my 21 on Thursday, Ben at Glockmeister rebuilt it and the armorer at the GSSF shoot replaced the slide lock. He glossed over it pretty good with his monocular and gave it a clean bill of health though he did recommend the gun to be sent back to Glock to be sure.

In all it was fun and I'll definitely return next year.