MEPSight Intall Question

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by 2ninersavo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 2ninersavo

2ninersavo

I have a 19 that I am going to install MEPS on. The instructions with the sight say to use Loctite 609 on the front and also on the rear. I normally hear that Red or Blue is used on the front and nothing on the rear. Do any of you put the Loctite on the rear? Does it really need it on the rear and why not just use the red or blue? Thanks :upeyes:

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Red Loctite will do you fine. And yes, I've used Blue Loctite too. Both were completely successful.

Some brands do call for Loctite on the rear sights, and I've done just that when advised to, per OEM instructions.

One key thing is to make sure all contact surfaces are clean and free of solvents, lubes and skin oils. Clean contact parts with alcohol and blast dry with canned air--including finger tips.

For Front Sights...

I use a small drop of Loctite on all contact surfaces, and tighten 1/4 -1/2 turn past finger tight (adult strength). Make sure the final adjustment is a tightening adjustment.

Remove excess Loctite (there shouldn't be much) with Q-tips and paper towel or cleaning patch.

Let set 24-hours, then have at it!

Every front sight my gun shop has installed for me has come loose. Every front sight I've personally installed has stayed put! I'm guessing the boys at the shop don't clean their hands properly... :upeyes:

--Ray