close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mepro sites

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by michael88, Mar 9, 2010.

1. michael88

michael88

i am thinking about getting night sites, are these glow in the dark or are they illuminated? i read on teh website they self illuminate, but i am trying to differintiate before i buy something that i am not expecting.

2. ChipM

ChipM

They are glow in the dark. Customer service sucks. Look at Trijicon, Ameriglo, etc as alternates.

As background, I recently got a sight that didn't fit - the hole for the windage screw on my rear sight was way too large for the screw. They sent another sight, which had the same problem. At that point, Meprolight insisted that their product was correct and the pistol manufacturer must have changed specs (somehow, their theoretical spec change managed to affect my pistols which were made in 2000 and 2008, as the new sight fit neither...not plausible) and that there was nothing they were interested in doing to fix it.

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

4. michael88

michael88

that is way more than i ever though i would get, but thanks for the link. chip thank you for the heads up as they are now no longer an option for sure.

5. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

i got meps installed on my xd about a year after i got it, haven't had a problem since. i did have them installed by a gunsmith tho, since i don't have the tools or experience to do it myself.

also, i think kahr uses meps as their factory night sights, whatever they are, i i've got them on my pm9 as well.

they're tritium filled glass beads, so they glow on their own, no need to charge in the sun.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  6. michael88

michael88

can you see them during the day?

7. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

8. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I had Mepros on my Kimber for about a year, gunsmith installed, and the front sight quit after about six months for no reason. Don't know why, didn't think they COULD quit, but they did. Replaced them with Trijicons and didn't have a problem. (oh, and +1 on crappy customer service, Mepro basically told me to KMA when I asked for a replacement)

9. michael88

michael88

10. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

I have them on my carry guns and they're fantastic. I don't have any experience with their CS however.

11. Ol Timer

You cannot see the tritium glow in the day, but you can see the sights. Trijicon uses white plastic tubes surrounding alloy tubes surrounding the glass vial. The ends of these plastic tubes look like white circles. Trijicon also offers the front only with the white outline and the rears black which will allow picking up the front sight quicker.

Meprolight uses similar white outlines, but they paint white over the ends of the tubes. This will wear off over time.Trijicon is a better built product. Meps are also distributed by Kimber and have since seen their customer service plummet.

FWIW, green glows the brightest.

12. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

my meps after 5 years of almost daily carry haven't shown any wear on the white parts of the sights.

during the day, mine just look like the normal white dots unless you get up real close to examine them, then you can see the tritium vials.

i've heard some people like to go with yellow or another color for the front sight and green for the backs, i've never seen it personally so i can't comment as to whether it's better/worse than 3 greens.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Youre welcome.

14. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I have Meps on a G19 and G26...and like them.

15. Ol Timer

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010