close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Memory Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by liv2hunt, Feb 6, 2005.

1. liv2hunt

liv2hunt

I have an XP machine. I run nothing in the "background". I can have no applications running except necessary Windows apps, and Norton AV. My compute is using 239 of 256Meg of its memory. How can this be? My computer is running slower than usual since I have noticed this. I have no viruses and take very good care of my computer. I am in IT, but mostly networking, so I am not as familiar about this sort of issue as say a programmer would be.

2. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

XP works on 256, likes 512, and graphics intensive likes 1 Gig.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It's the Norton causing the slowdowns. And it causes a half-dozen things to run hidden in the background!

Never before NAV2004 has there been a more bloated resource hog of an AV App.

You'll need two 512MB sticks to get decent performance from an XP system that is cursed with NAV. Avast! has a footprint 1/10'th of the size of NAV; it and XP will do fine on 256MB.

McAfee is nearly as bad, but not quite--remember, the NAV is supposedly watching the Recycle Bin, the ports, the HDD, the RAM...every part of your PC has one or more NAV tentacle wrapped around it. That is why NAV is so resource-intensive, and that's why most people loathe it.

If one part of it breaks down, the rest of it slows even further(it waits for input from each aspect and this can take a few minutes).

The worst part is the little detail that there are multiple Norton apps running, HIDDEN, in the background--and you are not allowed to shut them down or change their behavior.

Unless you uninstall the whole mess, that is...

Good luck!

4. SamBuca

SamBuca

McAfee uses around 40 meg of ram and about 40 meg of swap. It is absolutely nothing compared to Norton's resource hog of a program.