close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Memory card contents staying on a computer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Davegrave, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

For the tech guys...

Say i'm using a friends computer.
    Now lets also say I wanted to look at some "files :whistling:" from a memory card. If i view them diectly from a memory card reader it will just transfer the files to RAM and not to the hard drive, right?
    My point is I'd like to be able to not leave them on his computer in any way.

2. Hyksos

Hyksos

Unless you physically move them from the flash drive to the computer then your answer is no. It might, MIGHT, show up on the computer as having opened a file name under the start->documents tab, but when it was accessed it would say the file was inaccessible.

So, unless your files are named inappropriate things I would think you would be fine.

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Don't do it. I am not a computer guy but I am a photographer and at times I deal with sensitive images on memory cards. Anytime you insert a card into a computer it could leave images on the computer.

5. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

It could, yes, but at least on Windows XP it won't by default. Newer OSes like Vista or 7 might do some kind of caching but I highly doubt it. Vista/7's "prefetch" feature does just the opposite -- cache disk data in RAM, not RAM data to disk. To defeat this just reboot when you're done to clear out the RAM.

Windows does have a "thumbnail" or "preview" feature that copies images, but it stores them on the same disk the images came from so they'll just get put on the removable card and not the hard drive.

If the system is under memory pressure, it's conceivable the image bitmap data could be written to disk in the virtual memory swapfile, but nothing short of a professional forensic analysis would reveal it. Very low risk IMHO unless you're worried about law enforcement or the computer owner is a serious hacker.

The main risk here is if the person had installed some kind of third-party software that takes periodic screenshots etc. Highly unlikely for your average user.

True, if you use Internet Explorer etc it will cache the files to the hard drive, but so far as I know Image Preview will not. Paint might if you edit the picture (for undo points), but I don't think it will if you just look then close.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

ccleaner.com Be a nice guy and learn how not to delete the cookies that he wants. :cool: