close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mel Gibson and the 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Gun Rights Examiner
    David Codrea

Edge of Darkness star Mel Gibson has a gun.

That's apparently a newsworthy tidbit for followers of celebrity tabloid gossipmongers. Showbiz Spy's Richard Head tells readers Gibson "has admitted he has a dangerous weapon hidden away in his home in case an intruder breaks in during the night and puts his family’s lives at risk."

The 54-year-old actor insists there is nothing unusual about his outlook, as in modern society, times have changed to the extent where people need to be 'tooled up' with weapons to defend themselves, their loved-ones and their homes.

True enough. There's nothing unusual about that and Gibson is correct--weapons are tools, and we owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to have them and know how to properly use them.

It's hardly news though, that Gibson believes in personal firearms. Back in 2001, I wrote a piece called "Hollywood Squares" (renamed by the editor to "Six Degrees of Hypocrisy") for Guns & Ammo magazine, pointing out some of the inconsistencies we find when we examine movie stars and guns. It included this notation:

Another guy who captures the hearts (and pocketbooks) of gun-owning moviegoers is "The Patriot" Mel Gibson, whose "Lethal Weapon IV" referred to a psychopath as a "spokesman for the NRA." While he reveals that he has taken his children to shooting ranges and believes in self-defense, he admits "I don't even know whether I've made up my mind on [the Second Amendment]."

As is typical, I had more information than needed for a column reference. One of my sources was "Mel Gibson, Lightning Rod," by L. Brent Bozell III. True to form, indignant anti-gunners tried to gin up public hysteria over children using firearms in "The Patriot":

For his part, Gibson, again, isn’t backing down, stating that he and his children have gone to shooting ranges together, and that he sees nothing wrong with their using weapons for self-defense.

I also consulted "Gibson Braves Heartfelt Questions" from Claudia Puig in USA Today, unfortunately no longer online. When asked if he would "take up the NRA banner" from Charlton Heston, Gibson replied:

I don't even know whether I've made up my mind on this issue. It's a prickly one. I can understand why it's there, the Second Amendment. I can understand why gun control would be a good thing. But, would gun control be gun control? I don't know. I do think that guns tend to attract other guns. People have to get trained. I've seen little accidents and mistakes on the set. But, nah, I don't think I'd want to be the chairman of the NRA. I don't need that.

It truly isn't that prickly, Mr. Gibson, and someone who did the research to produce a film like The Patriot ought to know that. It's been about 10 years since your reply--have you had enough time to make up your mind yet?

Admittedly, just because someone has achieved fame and fortune in one endeavor doesn't mean he's qualified or has the passion to lead in another. The flip side to that: Just because someone is rich and famous doesn't give them a pass as a fellow human being on doing what they can to promote liberty. And apathy on the part of gun owners, the "let George do it" mentality that expects someone else is going to fight and fund all the battles to preserve and restore the Second Amendment, works against freedom every bit as much--if not more so--than the most committed efforts by anti-gunners.

If you're a gun owner and you're not doing something to help, you're benefiting--for free--off the efforts of those shouldering the wheel. It would be nice to see an A-lister like Gibson use his high profile on occasion to help "the cause," but it's understandable that he doesn't. Still, as with all gun owners, if I had his ear I'd urge him to do something, just like the rest of us who hold personal activism to be a civic virtue. I even know of a redemptive contribution he could make that would not only do great good, but would really throw a curve to his critics...

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-...l-Gibson-tooled-up-on-liberty-as-well-as-guns

2. area727

area727 G23

Nice to read.

A side note, I'm looking forward to seeing his new movie Edge of Darkness, it looks good.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good on Mel:thumbsup:

4. Just1More

Just1More

No more job offers for Mel.

5. acpd442

acpd442

I don't think he has to worry about money. Didn't he make a killing with the "Passion of the Christ"? If I'm correct he fronted all the money himself.
    :wavey:

6. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I always imagine him as the mullet-havin' bad-*** in Lethal Weapon.

7. pugman

pugman

He/His production company fronted $30 million...another $15 million in marketing.

World wide it took in just under $612 million.

Yeah, Mel is doing fine

8. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

I'm sure the anti-Jew thing helped...

9. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

I enjoy his acting but Mel Gibson is a grade A ******bag.

10. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I agree.

11. adamg01

adamg01

I am curious why someone would call him a ******bag? I am not saying you are wrong, I am just wondering the basis.

I will go see Edge of Darkness. I have always been a big fan and consider him one of the few real action stars. I have always liked him better than Bruce Willis (I have always thought he would be a ****** nozzle in person). He is the old school action star type and that is what I like about him. I can't handle Vin Diesel and the other BS they try to pass off as action stars. They just don't make action stars like Clint anymore so the next best thing is Mel Gibson for me.

12. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

He's an antisemitic POS hypocrite.

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Just doesn't matter, in a manner of speaking.

Like all of us, he is what he is. That'll be taken care of by a higher power when the time comes.

But right now, from a "I'll get by" point of view, he's doing fine.

14. adamg01

adamg01

People call Anne Coulter a racist. I disagree. I think she is one of the few who tells the truth and the liberals don't want to hear it. She brings facts into the equation and they really don't want to hear it.

What has he done to make him an antisemite? I know his father who is an elderly old man made some pretty harsh statements. I know Mel defended his father like most son's would but were does the racism come into play? I am not disagreeing, I am just searching for a basis?

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Doesn't he have a billion dollars? He can have guns and an army if he wants one. It is the poor people who get trampled by laws.

16. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/28/gibsons-anti-semitic-tirade-alleged-cover-up/

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/gibson.html

Jews are not a race. I'm no expert, but I believe that Semites, which include both Jews and Arabs, are generally considered to be of the white race. I am aware that both Jews and Arabs come in all colors so we are speaking in very general terms here, only of the semitic versions.

My remark about Mr. Gibson was probably too harsh. He is entitled to his opinions even if they are sadly ignorant and biased.

17. PillBox

PillBox

He's an anti-semite and espouses a sort of militant Catholicism. This is how religion spoils people and then societies.

PillBox

18. adamg01

adamg01

I still need something a little more concrete to write him off as a racist. Like the guy from Seinfeld dropping the N word in front of hundreds of people. You don't see him too much anymore.

Maybe it is mostly because I am a big fan of Mel Gibson's movie choices and on screen presence that has me in denial.

19. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I remember just a few years ago. Mr Gicson was anti gun. He said that Individuals should not be allowed to own handguns. I read it in a copy of Guns & Ammo a few years ago.