close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mein Kampf

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by meshmdz, May 6, 2006.

1. meshmdz

meshmdz OBAMA 2012

has anyone read this book written by hitler? just curious.

2. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

I have not, but I've been interested in reading it ever since I recently finished reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich cover to cover...another book I highly recommend BTW. According to its author, William Shirer, Mein Kampf is a fascinating insight into Hitler's very misguided, misinformed, yet brilliant mind and he more or less did exactly what he said he would in his book, right down to the betrayal and invasion of Russia in Operation: Barbossa, though it does have to be taken with a grain of salt from time to time as it is largely a propaganda work which grossly distorts a significant number of verifiable facts. It's very fascinating to see how Hitler only accomplished all the atrocities he did with the virtual complicity with all the nations around him, who could have stopped him with very minor losses many times along the way. Edmund Burke sure knew what he was talking about when he said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edit: Seek and you shall find, I guess neither of us will have to go out and actually buy a hardcopy, I just found a free online version of it via Wikipedia, in English to boot. I'm going to start reading it ASAP.

http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/meinkampf/toc.htm

3. Chikan

Chikan Basturmator!

In my less than valued opinion, Mein Kampf illustrated, perfectly, the degree to which Hitler was an absolutely brilliant propagandist and leader; it also depicted, however, the degree to which he was absolutely insane.

I'm not speaking in buzzword, feel-good, CNN liberal terms-- I mean that you could actually SEE just how crazy he was. His neurosis and high-energy insanity becomes quite evident about halfway through the book. You can literally FEEL the intensity, tenacity and compulsive hatred he has in his vague ramblings...and rambling is exactly what he does for a good forty-percent of the book.

He was a brilliant mind, but midguided, jaded and, often times, incoherent in his hatred. Mein Kampf should be required reading for ALL sociology and literary courses, as it's a shining example of a talent led astray and obsession taken too far.

Read it. It's not very enjoyable, but it's worth experiencing for experience's sake.

Chikan

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Kind of like watching one of his filmed speeches/rants from Nuremberg, especially if you speak German. Yes the man's totally insane, but you could get caught up in it all and go along with him quite easily if you were weak willed.

5. haku_gin15

haku_gin15 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+1 I've read it as well. Very hard word for a scholar of English literature. (or an English Major). Very powerful writing.

6. WWII

WWII

In the process of reading it. He's a horrible author.

7. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Remember, you're reading a TRANSLATION. Reading any translation from the original language is like listening to the same musical note played on a piano & a guitar. Same note, different sounds & tone.

8. BoxerDog25

BoxerDog25

I read half for a college class, its rather boring and it takes a long time to each point that he is trying to make. Furthermore, it is well known that he didnt write that much of it and it was written by a ghost writer. I would buy it used.

9. glockbk

glockbk

A friend of mine read it and gave up halfway through. He said it was the most boring stuff he'd ever read. He added that Hitler's arrogance was overwhelming to the point that he couldn't finish the book. Someone said the book has thousands of grammatical and syntax errors. I read a few chapters about where he blames the Jews for everything and he NEVER backs up his accusations with a shred of evidence and yet, millions of people believe his crap. Unbelievable. One thing: as a "starving artist" living in Vienna, Hitler needed a dealer to sell his paintings. His dealer was Jewish so the Jews were basically trying to help him make a living, not steal from him as he claims.