close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Medical Marijuana .. how is it handled in your locale?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by cash, Feb 6, 2010.

1. cash

cash

In Colorado, it's a mess. We have a state constitutional amendment legalizing medicinal use of marijuana. So, now thousands of clearly sick people have their state issued "marijuana card", and doctors hand out recommendation letters (not prescriptions, mind you), like candy. Dispensaries, which is what we are calling legal pot shops, are popping up all over. Grows are also now legal for medical MJ, so they are turning up all over the place. And, of course, we are getting a strong-arm, home invasion robbery of grows every week or two and burgs at the dispensaries are common.

I took my trainee on a tour of a dispensary last week, because neither one of us had ever been inside one. This one was set up in a former coffee shop. They had constructed an entryway out of plywood creating sort of a short hallway with a barred window on one side and a wooden door with a magnetic lock at the end. The dude working the window was a 20-something hipster dude, with that endearing snowboarder style of speech.

The clerk refused to let us in to the dispensary without first calling the owner of the place. But, he did ask to see our cards. My rookie started to get out his PD business card, when I told him that's not what the guy meant. My rookie got this "oh crap" look on his face. I told the clerk we didn't have our cards.

A short time later, the owner arrived, another 20-something dude in baggy jeans and t-shirt. I explained we wanted a tour, because of increasing crime at dispensaries. The owner was actually very receptive to our presence and only too happy to let us in.

The place was largely empty, with a medium size grow in one corner, maybe 30 plants, a display case filled with buds along a wall, and a couch and flat screen tv along another wall. That was pretty much it. They had about 5-6 varieties of weed and a little hash. They also had a few brownies, cookies and candy, all weed-ified of course. He didn't say out right, but he hinted that the dispensary went through up to two pounds of MJ a day.

The owner was clearly a weed expert. I asked him the differences between the varieties and he went on and on about the different effects of each and so on. He also said that he had noticed an increasing gang presence at the dispensary (go figure). He reported a tatted up Sur 13 member came in the week before offering to sell him "medicine". He declined, telling the guy he grew his own and had other sources. But, it worried him.

So, for all intents and purposes, MJ is now legal in Colorado. All one needs is a recommendation from an MD, which anyone can get, assuming you have the ability to show up at the doc's office and pay about $200 for the exam (non-invasive, and medical records not necessary).

The law in Colorado is so vague on medical MJ as to be almost worthless. And, there is basically no regulation of the dispensaries at the state level. Cities are trying to cobble together local zoning ordinances but pot advocates are threatening to sue.

It's a mess. And, it's going to get worse. I'm not sure how many dispensaries we have in my city of about 150k, I'd guess around a dozen. And the former head of the narc unit said the city has over 100 business applications for more. Apparently, my city has a huge number of sick people, who really need their meds.

I'm waiting for the first Colorado cop to get his/her MMJ card ... what is a PD to do?

2. CW Mock

CW Mock

I wondered the same thing about a cop with a MMJ card. The law is so ****ed up here, not a lot they could do, other than desk him so he/she is not at the wheel of a g-ride. What's the worst is that because its through Vital Statistics, you can't even mention that they have the ****ing card in your reports. So now you get weird looking reports, where a guy is hooked DUID for weed, but no evidence is collected, and no possession charges filed.

Our local ****bag, I mean ADA stated last year as far as he was concerned, weed was legal. looks like the troll got his wish. This state has become supremely screwed up by transplanted losers that even California got rid of.

Crap, I got a headache thinking about it. Screw advil, I am gonna get my MMJ card. It's easier to get than Advil now.

3. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

Look no further than Mendocino County CA to see your future.

Sorry.

It's called dope for a reason.

Thankfully we don't have it here.

4. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Give up and move to California. We are getting rid of all our medical marijuana shops later this year......

Yup, no need for them when the citizens of California will vote in November to legalize marijuana! Sacramento already has a "tax" in place for the upcomming legalization and sale of marijuana sales...now thats great planning!

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Good post, quick questions:

How much does the weed cost? How does that compare to your street prices?

Are these guys paying tax?

6. cash

cash

They sell it by the gram, and it depends on the type. "Retail" prices are comparable to street prices, I'm not sure if the pot shops are matching street prices, or vice versa. Prices were in the $20-$50/gram range.

Yes, they are paying sales tax.

7. cash

cash

We don't have an official policy (yet ... I'm sure it's coming), but a captain and a lt said it would be grounds for termination under federal drug laws, and there is no provision in the state constitution forcing a Colorado employer to allow MMJ.

What the bosses expressed concern over was the "caregiver" component. What happens when an LEO has a sick spouse-parent-etc (cancer, something legit), and becomes a MMJ caregiver?

8. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Here in NWArkansas, personal possession of <one ounce is considered lowest priority. Though there is no law in effect stating that it is legal, the generl consensus makes it so. NORML, which is very active in this hippy dippy college town, has been pushing very hard to make it so.

That being said, gang activity and the subsequent issues pertaining to "legalized" marijuana have yet to be seen.

I do have a question for Cash, though. Where I'm Co it's easy to get a reccommendation from an MD, it's as easy here to get a referral to a pain management clinic. Prescription narcotics are in damn near every thirty something well to do housewifes purse.

Considering the longer term ramifications of that, I would see it as a larger issue than the pot. How bout there?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Thanks.

$560-1400/ounce = $9-22K a pound. :shocked:

Holy Ditchweed, Batman! Don't tell 'em about AZ; I've got enough problems down here. (We're running about $800 a pound before you get the by-the-bale discount.)

10. MattHappyTrails

MattHappyTrails

Here, in Colorado, there is a residual problem with MJ as medication that no one has addressed yet. I have mentored a young person for five years. His Mom has had drug problems in the past. She gets public assistance. Last month she spent $540.00 cash on med MJ. (The young man is certain it is not needed.) As a result, they had NO FOOD in the house the last week of the month!

I wonder how many other kids are doing without food so a parent can be a legal pot head? The lady Doc, in Fruita, should be horse whipped.

11. cash

cash

Same, oxycontin is huge. Much bigger of a problem than MMJ. MMJ is more of a political thing than anything. Although the home invasion robberies of grows are no joke.

I just think this push to call MJ medicine is disingenuous and bogus. Dopers are dopers, if you are going to make it legal, fine. Just do it. This whole "it's medicine, dude" thing is stupid.

The MMJ places out here purport themselves to be health/wellness clinics and have names like "Grateful Meds" with MJ leaves on their signs and buildings. I stopped a car the other night with 3 college age males, snowboarder looking guys, and all of them had their MMJ cards for chronic pain, which they were only to happy to whipout. All I could say: whatever, dude.

12. cash

cash

That does seem expensive. Maybe my numbers are a little off. I'll double check that. I'm 10-8 tomorrow.

Street price for good stuff was in the $200-400 an ounce range last I heard, depending on what variety. Apparently weed ain't just weed anymore.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

:dunno:
    DUI is still DUI, though. Right? I mean, I've a card thatsays I can walk in to an establishment that sells vodka tonics and buy as many as my little heart desires, cause they ease my IBS. But if I operate a vehicle after doing so, I can't just show my license and make it all okay.

I get the feeling I'd punch a lot of people in the face in Colorado. And I'm pretty easygoing.

ETA: I don't really have IBS. Leaky rectums are not a laughing matter.

14. deadday

deadday

Not sure about that far up north, but here in the Great State, brick weed runs about $40-50 an ounce....Good stuff is between $10-20 a gram...

15. Pepper45

Pepper45

In Oregon, we don't have dispensaries, but we do have a state run program to issue cards to those who use, and those who grow for themselves and others. We now only arrest those too stupid, or too stoned to go down and get the doctor's exam and register with the state. I am only too happy to write the $1000 citation to those idiots for simple possession.

16. pgg00

pgg00

I know exactly what you mean.

17. 4949shooter

4949shooter

The same type of legislation is being considered here in NJ as well.

Mhiett brings up a good point though, in that if we smell the odor of burnt marijuana on a driver it should be grounds for a DWI arrest.

We'll have to see how this one plays out...

18. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

They're smoking it around here, to the best of my knowlege.

Randy

19. tc556guy

tc556guy

There isn't any in NYS

20. CAcop

CAcop

Weed is pretty much legal for everyone even kids. Nothing happens if you get caught with less than an ounce. Even more than an ounce goes nowhere. PRetty much you have to be growing on huge field holding AKs before they prosecute. And more than likely they will only charge you with the weapons violations.

I swear stupidity will go up and productivity will go down if they legalie weed. It is rare to meet a motivated, intelligent person who smokes weed on a regular basis. This state will probably never recover from this recession if they legalie it this Nov. We'll go from the 5th largest GDP in the world to 30th, maybe 10th if you include weed sales.