Medical Bill BS

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by matt4shadow, Feb 21, 2010.

1. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

The $150 was most likely your deductible, $750 is the billable charge for the procedure. The $500 is a charge that that collecting agency is adding on to the total, for their fee. Try to get the bill back into the doctors office and out of the hands of the collectors.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

He was negligent for not filing his claim. Tell him to drop the suit or you willfile suit for negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Get a letter from your insurance company saying he would have been paid if he had submitted the claim. His attorney should drop the case if you contact him with the information.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

FWIW the main problem with healthcare is the perception that the insurance companies get some kind of discount. The price for the "person walking in off the street" is actually much less if that person were to pay cash at time of service. The .gov pays full price, isnurance pays less than the "list" price, hospitals and Dr.'s write off the full price as a loss when giving service to deadbeats, but cash patients (who ACTUALLY pay at time of service) generally get the lowest price.

I went for over ten years as a business owner who was "self insured". I paid cash for all of my health care needs, including two childbirths, and NEVER reached the amount I would have paid in premiums. If I had lumped BOTH of the births into one year I would have paid a little more cash as the cost of premium for a family of three FOR ONE YEAR.

The problem with healthcare is not cash patients as "uninsured" it is deadbeats who not only do not have insurance but also have no intention (admittedly sometimes no means) to pay.

We have alocal "Non-Profit" hospital that is part of a large Catholic "chain" and they will screw you if you actually have any money, if you are "indigent" or on medicare you are all good though. Insurance or no-pay are the only patients they want, it screws up their federal money if you get an actual working joe who wants to pay a fair price for medical services.

ETA: I have dealt with collection agencies extensively in my business, you can likely get away with paying 40-50% of face value if you just want it to go away, and they will still make a profit.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. RichJ

RichJ

You should have recieved a string of letters (bills) saying you are 60 days, 90 days, 120 days ect. late on payment for whatever service. The doctors office should be able to produce a copy of these letters; make them show you them.

I would show the court all of the medical bills you recieved from all the other doctors and services that were paid by the insurance company and when they were paid (you can get that info. from the hospital). When you present the bundle of paid bills to the court, explain that your insurance company paid everything else, why wouldn't they/I pay this one bill out of all the rest if I recieved notice of it?

This is a case of a clearly marked paper trail and should be a slam dunk in your favor.

5. Ersatz

Ersatz

I'd get paperwork from your insurance carrier and offer to pay the $150 that would have been your deductible to the doctor.

If alll else fails, offer the $750. Court will likely be a crapshoot but you want to bring as much of your insurance paperwork as you can.

6. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

It's the lobotomy sans anesthesiology - don't you know? :shocked:

IGF - hope everything worked out fine for you!

7. profiler999

profiler999

Untimely filing. The doctor should just write it off. It happens every day.

Herein lies two problems, one is the untimely filing. However, "filing" is a courtesy the majority of the time because you can "assign" the payment to the doctor. They usually prefer it that way, so they can get paid quicker.

Second problem, is that you have not received collection notices. I'd suspect that since a lawyer is involved, you better check your credit. I'd fight it.

However, at the end of the day, if they don't relent, it's always better to settle than fight in court.

8. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Is the lawyer representing a collection agency or the physician? I'm guessing the physician sold the debt to a collection agency for around 50cents on the dollar and the collection agency is playing hardball to collect on their investment.

Either way, ask the attorney for a copy of the original bill (in writing and keep your request for court). You have the right to a copy of it prior to the court proceedings if you ask early enough. If they can't produce it I'm going to step out on a limb and say your chances just improved greatly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

If you're not going to get a lawyer, and especially if you're going to rely on most of the advice we have given you here, be sure to bring your checkbook with you when you go to court.

I'm a lawyer, and even I wouldn't represent myself in a case like this.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yup... all working fine now. I was just sharing the trials and tribulations of that ordeal w/ another GT'er.. :)

IGF

11. RustySocket

RustySocket

good luck with that approach.

My practice recently instituted a pay up front - you seek reimbursement from you insurance carrier yourself approach. it is not very popular with my patients. However. I am sick of carrying debt that is not mine, paying someone to collect the debt, and deadbeats who don't pay. All of which gets passed on to you. I will lose some patients because of this policy.

Believe it or not, my guess is that within the next few years you will find lots of your healthcare providers going to this model .

One of the biggest expenses to providers is the cost of billing and bad debt.

12. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

What he said...

I look at billing each month here at the hospital. Specifically I do "QA" on it because our benchmarking company kicks back charges that don't match APR/DRGs submitted.

The doctor should have filed this claim with the insurance company. He's missed the window for doing so and he likely knows it, so now since you've had another kid he wants to go back and recoup his charges.

As the above poster said, get a complete listing of ALL the charges filed as well as paid for your first child. Your insurance company should have a record of this.

My advice to everyone who goes to the hospital for anything is to READ YOUR BILL CAREFULLY. I've seen people charged for all kinds of things in error, and I'm not talking SMALL errors either!

13. engineer151515

engineer151515

Can't add much.

I would get a breakdown on exactly what is interest and what exactly are the expenses.

I've seen physicians get into trouble over usury interest rates on charges.

Depends on your state law.
    http://www.lectlaw.com/files/ban02.htm

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There you go.. :)

15. matt4shadow

matt4shadow

Thanks, your a good man!