close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Medicaid already being stopped at Walgreens

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Mar 17, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16

Walgreens will stop taking new Medicaid patients in Washington state as of April 16, saying it loses money filling their prescriptions.

Walgreens' decision: http://news.walgreens.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5288

[​IMG]

Effective April 16, Walgreens drugstores across the state won't take any new Medicaid patients, saying that filling their prescriptions is a money-losing proposition — the latest development in an ongoing dispute over Medicaid reimbursement.

The company, which operates 121 stores in the state, will continue filling Medicaid prescriptions for current patients.

In a news release, Walgreens said its decision to not take new Medicaid patients stemmed from a "continued reduction in reimbursement" under the state's Medicaid program, which reimburses it at less than the break-even point for 95 percent of brand-name medications dispensed to Medicaid patents.

Walgreens follows Bartell Drugs, which stopped taking new Medicaid patients last month at all 57 of its stores in Washington, though it still fills Medicaid prescriptions for existing customers at all but 15 of those stores.
    Doug Porter, the state's director of Medicaid, said Medicaid recipients should be able to readily find another pharmacy because "we have many more pharmacy providers in our network than we need" for the state's 1 million Medicaid clients.

He said those who can't can contact the state's Medical Assistance Customer Service Center at 1-800-562-3022 for help in locating one.
    Along with Walgreens and Bartell, the Ritzville Drug Company in Adams County announced in November that it would stop participating in Medicaid.

Fred Meyer and Safeway said their pharmacies would continue to serve existing Medicaid patients and to take new ones, though both expressed concern that the reimbursement rate is too low for pharmacies to make a profit.

The amount private insurers and Medicaid pay pharmacies for prescriptions isn't the actual cost of those drugs but rather is based on what's called the drug's estimated average wholesale price. But that figure is more like the sticker price on a car than its actual wholesale cost.

Washington was reimbursing pharmacies 86 percent of a drug's average wholesale price until July, when it began paying them just 84 percent. While pharmacies weren't happy about the reimbursement reduction, the Department of Social and Health Services said that move was expected to save the state about $10 million.

Then in September came another blow. The average wholesale price is calculated by a private company, which was accused in a Massachusetts lawsuit of fraudulently inflating its figures. The company did not admit wrongdoing but agreed in a court settlement to ratchet its figures down by about 4 percent.

That agreement took effect in September — and prompted a lawsuit by a group of pharmacies and trade associations that said Washington state didn't follow federal law in setting its reimbursement rate, and that that rate is too low. The lawsuit is pending.

"Washington state Medicaid is now reimbursing pharmacies less than their cost of participation," said Jeff Rochon, CEO of the Washington State Pharmacy Association.

Pharmacies that continue to fill Medicaid prescriptions at the current state reimbursement rate are "at risk of putting themselves out of business altogether," he said.

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Makes me so happy I almost pissed myself.

Now if we could get doctors to stop accepting medicaid and medicare, we might get somewhere.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Thank goodness we've got Obamacare coming. :rofl:

4. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Good.

I wish most doctor's offices would stop taking any insurance for that matter. Every time anyone has a sniffle, they run to the doctor, then run the charge to the insurance. The doctor's offices have tons of staff just to deal with all the stupid paperwork.

If I were an regular general doctor, I'd just take cash.

Medical insurance should be like car insurance... only used for Catastrophic situations. In any case it should be private.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I will agree with you that a LOT of people are abusing the system. But its a good system and a lot of people NEED it.

I myself had used medicare for my little boy. Not something im proud of but I didnt really have a choice.

I was just out of college and didnt really have a great job.

My son was born with epilepsy, and its a scary thing. If it wernt for madicare, I would be in debt till the day I die or my son would have died because I couldnt have afforded his meds.

I thank god that he grew out of it when he was two.

6. Fungunner

Fungunner

That's Walgreens in one state. I have heard there are lots of doctors who will no longer accept medicade or medicare. You can't pay yourself or staff on what the government isn't reimbursing.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Classic law of unintended consequences.

Doesn't everyone want low cost drugs?

The (mostly) liberal view that the best way to lower costs is have the government mandate - control - regulate and even take over a system has never worked - will never work.

But many folks even on conservative leaning GT seem to think that when there is a problem the solution is BIGGER government -

OMG I have a problem - government please save me! Makes me sick.

8. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

This is one of those issues where there just IS no good answer.

In my ideal world, all medical insurance would be private. Those who could not afford insurance could turn to private charities like the Shriners etc. I don't know how realistic that is... but I can dream can't I?

No matter 100% private option, 100% public option or someplace in between, it is a shame that so many people in this country are bankrupted by medical care.

In my own case, I'm insured out the yinyang.. but I just saw the bill for my 15 min allergy test $3600!!!! And the insurance paid it without argument!! Crazy!

Now an allergy test is something that a trained monkey could perform. They used a medicine dropper to put drops of different allergens on my back. Then they used a needle to scratch (break) the skin. 15 minutes later they checked what was swollen. Test over. That'll be $3600

If I ever am without insurance and need a non-emergency procedure I will seriously consider traveling to places like India or Thailand. 5 star service, low cost and 100% US certified doctors and facilities.

PS.
    I'm still upset about the friggin' $3600 bill even though I didn't directly pay it. You know how many Glocks I could have bought for that?!?!!?

11. certifiedfunds

House, there are LOTS of folks who NEED it and rely on it. But it doesn't change the fact that doctors, pharmacies and hospitals that accept it as payment are part of the problem.

If true free market principles were applied to the healthcare system costs would be low enough that the number of people who DO need it would be reduced to a number that is low enough for private charity to handle.

I'm sorry you were in that situation and I am glad your son grew out of it. Its really hard seeing our children sick. I think back to the nausea I experienced watching my oldest march down the hall of a surgery department to have surgery when she was 2. I can only imagine what you and your family went through.

12. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

Exactly!

I keep reading these news stories about all the people dying in America because they do not have insurance. (Who is that young girl they keep bringing out who says that her mother died because of "insurance company greed"? ) In the US, If you need medical attention (not 'want') the hospitals are legally required to give you medical attention. Now, once you are stabalized the hospital can relocate you to another facility that does participate in Medicare/Medicaid, but they can not kick you out the door and just let you die.

Honestly, how does anyone actually go without medical services? When I was without insurance, I paid out of my own pocket. A friend without insurance was involved in an auto accident. The hospital placed him on a payment plan to repay what he owed. I could give more personal examples but they all end the same: Without insurance, we received medical treatment.

I must ask: Can anyone point out where people are denided treatment because they can not pay? Also, is was the issue immediately life threatening (IE: Heart Attack, Stroke, et al.) or was it something that was "not immediately" life threatening. (Such as a toothache, if left treated for months/years, can develop into a life/limb threatening issue.)

13. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

ok, I just mis understood you.

14. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

No sir, it's not.

And we do not "need it", we want it.

In what world is something "needed"........where people who do not want to "help" someone else, for whatever reason, are forced to help? Sort of a one way street.

So they may be butt holes, that a reason to force them to do anything? Or are another persons "needs" supposed to outweigh another persons freedom to do as they wish?

We're about to get everything we "want" in that area, lets see how that works out for us.

15. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

call me stupid, but im missing your point.

16. mesteve2

mesteve2

Congressial people need to get what they want us to have!

That would fix things.

17. certifiedfunds

You are correct.

Thank you for saying what I wasn't willing to.

Its an immoral program because it begins with an immoral act: Theft

18. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

OK, so far the two examples they drag around are the kid thats mother died - after having her life extended by three years, and the woman with cancer, who the hospital has said they will not put a lein on her and she IS eligable for assiatance.

19. goatranch

goatranch

I can understand it because doctors and pharmacies spend TONS of time and money chasing down insurance problems with Medicare. Lots of time wasted just trying to get THEM to do what they're supposed to do.

It is a good thing and many need it but I cannot blame the docs or pharms...they are loosing their arse.

20. certifiedfunds

People are basically asking for more healthcare than they can or will pay for.

That doesn't make it someone else's legal responsibility to pay for it.