Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
81,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Case takes ‘heartbreaking’ turn

Mourners gather on both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue in Urbana to grieve the death of Davontae Brown, 15, on Friday, May 1, 2020.

URBANA — Some 58 hours after making the fateful decision to break into an Urbana man’s home while armed, a Champaign teen died. Davontae Brown, 15, died in the critical care unit of Carle Hospital in Urbana at 5:30 a.m. Friday, just days shy of his 16th birthday. He never regained consciousness after passing out while in a chokehold applied by a man defending himself and his home Tuesday night.

On Friday afternoon, a group of people grieving for the teen gathered outside the Pennsylvania Avenue home of the man thrust into the limelight for his protective actions. They released balloons and dispersed after a few minutes.

Davontae’s 16-year-old female cousin, police learned, had knocked on the man’s door and as a ruse to gain admission, asked if she could use his phone. He said no and began to close the door when Davontae, holding a rifle, made his unwelcome entry.

“He was referred to the Youth Assessment Center 13 times beginning in 2014,” she said, noting that he would have been 9 at the time of that initial contact. Davontae did have three prior convictions for retail theft so Rietz said she is familiar with his mother. Rietz said within the court system, Davontae had participated in the juvenile court diversion program through probation, that he and his mother went through “Parenting with Love and Limits,” and that he had received both inpatient and outpatient treatment for substance abuse.

He was on probation for aggravated battery for having used a stun gun in the parking lot of a store in Champaign last October on the same 16-year-old cousin who is now in custody. “She’s a young mother. She cares. She’s always been there for every hearing. She’s tried. She’s always supported the system,” Rietz said.

https://www.news-gazette.com/news/c...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social "

·
Registered
81,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup...another great loss to society.

Mary Schenk
Reporter
BIO
Mary Schenk is a reporter covering police, courts and breaking news at The News-Gazette. Her email is [email protected], and you can follow her on Twitter (@schenk).

I wonder what Mary would think, if he had visited her house?

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,631 Posts
So he took the room temperature challenge. Big deal one less thug.

·
NRA Life Member
66,479 Posts

...with sprinkles.

The POS died from a chokehold? I guess I am overly critical of those TV shows that show a person being choked to death in 15 seconds.

I am reminded of a Joseph Wambaugh story - maybe the Glitter Dome, but in searching to see which book it was I found out what he wrote in the book was actually from real life: "...former Chief Daryl Gates, who once suggested blacks had a defect that caused them to die in police choke-holds ...."

·
Registered
337 Posts
not making excuses
when I was in teen years, knew a guy that just always got into trouble, came from a great family, stay at home mom, dad in Nat'l guard, his siblings all well mannered stable people. He was just different and no matter the good support I know he got, he just went the wrong way. I heard he got killed by another criminal. Its the choices we make that usually determine out life's outcome. The subject of this story chose quite wrongly

·
NRA Life Member
29,340 Posts
Given what she wrote with him being choked out, I guess the writer would have raised holy hell if he had been shot to death.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts