Medal of Honor to Vietnam vet for saving lives during Tet Offensive

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pipedreams, Oct 17, 2018.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

"Retired Sgt. Major John Canley was honored in a ceremony in the East Room of the White House, where Trump praised his bravery and focus during the 1968 Battle of Hue, and credited him with saving 20 Marines.

"In one harrowing engagement after another, John risked his own life to save the lives of those under his command," Trump said.

Canley, then a gunnery sergeant in the Marines, took control of his unit when its commander was severely wounded."
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/...vietnam-veteran-50-years-after-actions-during

TBO, Dr. Bill, Wishoot and 7 others like this.
  2. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

I watched the service on Fox, what a man the Sgt Major is! Just wonder why it took so long to honor this man?
    You would have thought that Barry or Bush boys would have pinned him.
    No need to mention the cigar boy.

Rotn1, Fred Hansen, Sgt127 and 3 others like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

His guys got to work.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/50-years-marine-awarded-medal-honor-vietnam-war/story?id=58517424

"Normally, a recipient must be presented the medal within five years of his gallantry. But as time passed, and even though Canley had received other high honors, his fellow Marines, remembering how he risked his life repeatedly to rescue his wounded comrades, thought he deserved more, and campaigned for his case to be reviewed."

:flag:

Bruce M, Dr. Bill, Rotn1 and 7 others like this.
  4. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Salute!! Tet was a brutal time. Honor past due is honor even better deserved.

I commend this gentleman and all like him. As the saying goes, “damned few left!”

“The last full measure.....”. :flag:

Semper Fi And BRAVO ZULU!

Dr. Bill, Rotn1, pgg00 and 7 others like this.
  5. Sgt127

Sgt127

1344CE09-5C09-47B0-B565-F826FD1D8325.png

80 years old, wears the uniform like a 25 year old...God bless him.

6. DonD

DonD

Outstanding on the Sgt Major.

Ah, the Tet Offensive, perverted and twisted by the sick left. If you listen to them, we were decimated in the Tet Offensive. NOTHING could be further from the truth. Yes, they caught us unaware but our military regrouped and absolutely crushed the North Vietnamese and VC, something their generals have readily admitted to.

Our left never misses a chance to try to shame mainstream America. Vietnam war wasn't a good call to start but our troops don't deserve the blame. We inflicted fatalities on the enemy at a rate far higher than 10 of theirs to one of ours.

We were defeated politically here at home, not on the battlefield thanks to men like the MOH honoree. Don

bruscifer, Redeemed, Dr. Bill and 8 others like this.
  7. amd65

amd65

I’d say that Medal honors a lot of men during Tet.

bruscifer, Dr. Bill, Rotn1 and 8 others like this.
  8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Watching this afternoon I thought the same thing. He wore the uniform magnificently.

bruscifer, Dr. Bill, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  9. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well a big OOORAH to a fellow Marine and Vietnam Veteran. Congrats and well deserved even if it is 50 years late, but better late than never. SEMPER-FIDELIS...SALUTE!!!

bruscifer, Dr. Bill, Wishoot and 5 others like this.
  10. lazarus66

lazarus66

God Bless that Brave Man.

Dr. Bill, Rotn1, WeeWilly and 2 others like this.
  11. plp

plp

Knew a few guys whom where there, a big Hoo Rah from both of them. They both said, we had them on the run, after day 3, had thrown everything they had at us, and we said, our turn.

And we absolutely slayed, nothing they could do at that point, than turn and run.

skeeter1959, Dr. Bill, DonD and 3 others like this.
  12. Caver 60

Caver 60

I was only involved in the air war for some part of every year from 66 thru early December 72. But I absolutely remember the Tet Offensive. We had them beat. Then our stupid political leaders decided to 'stand down' for Tet. Of course they regrouped and came back hard and fast.

That was the turning point of the war IMHO. Before that we thought we were doing our duty for God, county, and the world. Afterwards it became very clear it was a political war we should never have been involved in, IMO. Too many names on 'the wall' of guys I knew personally.

bruscifer, Dr. Bill, DonD and 6 others like this.
  13. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well the 1968 Democratic Convention had a lot to do with the USA 's stance on the war, the tide was changing and watching all the deaths on the evening news helped to sway opinion of the war.

I was there in Vietnam just south of the DMZ in 1968. I was an 18 year old grunt out in the boonies with my brothers. Vietnam was never a real war, I mean how can you have a war with a De-Militarized Zone? Next, how can you have a war with totally illogical "Rules Of Engagement" imposed, especially for our pilots?

Nope, Vietnam was a police action, or more aptly put a "Proxy War" with Russia and especially China and trying to stop the spread of Communism. I am proud to have joined the USMC regardless. What's that quote, " Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do or die". We were all very young and we were MARINES and for damn sure we fought very, very hard. Not just the NVA and VC but the snakes, the RATS, the leeches, foot-long semi-poisonous centipedes, 90% humidity and temps many times well above a hundred degrees and oh yeah, Jungle-Rot and Malaria. Semper-Fi.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    bruscifer, Dr. Bill, Rotn1 and 5 others like this.
  14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Thank you brother. My hats off to you guys. You got the short end of the stick.

Earlier this year I was waiting for some prescriptions to be filled at a local military pharmacy. Got to talking with another guy. Turns out he was a Marine at Khe Sanh. I had bombed around that place numerous times. There was continuous bombing, and shelling going on around there 24 hours a day.

I don't know how those guys stood it. Then we pulled out and blew the durn place up. Makes a whole lot of sense, not. (Just google it.) And like you said, I talked with fighter pilots who saw loads of supplies headed south, but couldn't bomb them, because they were off limits. Just plain stupid.

I do know that I dropped a lot of bombs that did kill a bunch of them. One guy at my Church (who was a LRRP) reconnoitered a classified bomb drop that I led, and he said we wiped out a bunch of them. We didn't figure that out until about 5 years ago when we were swapping war stories one day.

15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I take it that you could have made some of these holes then.

;)

:flag:

rollingthunder.JPG

16. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Oorah - Get Some ! ... Hue was a meat grinder as was the A Shau Valley , Pleiku , Khe Sanh , Van Tuong , la Drang , etc. all being significant battles not seen since Korea or even after (save maybe Fallujah) .

Caver 60 and Dr. Bill like this.
  17. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Any Marine grunt dreads the thought of house to house fighting. There is no measure of the guts it took for our guys to “do the job” in places like Hue City under the most risky of circumstances. Every Viet Nam Vet has my utmost respect and honor. I served with many, after the war and thank all of them for teaching me how to be a “grunt Marine”

There were (I learned) more facets to being an Infantry Marine, than was ever written in any manual of book ever written.

God never created a better bunch of people, in my mind. For me, Viet Nam Vets will always represent all that is best, of the American Virtue and courage.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I had the pleasure of serving with “Wild Bill” Dabney who commanded Marines during the siege at hill 881 South. One of the finest Marines I’ve ever known. -Married one of “Chesty” Puller’s daughter’s. A larger than life Virginian!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Caver 60 likes this.
  19. First shot

First shot

I'm proud and honored just to read all of the above posts... Thank you...

20. Rotn1

Rotn1

I imagine that was the first war where "rules of engagement" and politically limited engagements held our great warriors back. I can't believe our troops can be matched if they are allowed to fight to win and are not hamstrung by politicians.

........ I watched the whole MOH ceremony. I had a tear in my eye looking at the Master Sargent and his fellow Marines.

cyberghostx13 and Dr. Bill like this.