Mechtech CCU for a Glock 30?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jamesey, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Jamesey

Jamesey

The Mechtech CCUs look interesting, but I see they don't make one for the G30 (or the G29). I have an email into Mechtech asking why specifically, but I thought maybe some GTers might have some insight. I realize a G30 frame is shorter than G21 and it wouldn't click into place, but it seems you could use a "filler" of some sort to adapt it. Also, Mechtech makes their units for all the compact Glocks, and the G30/29 are roughly the same size. It seems like it should be possible to make a CCU to accommodate them. Certainly the popularity and numbers are there to justify one more model.

2. got_metal

got_metal

Unless I'm mistaken, the G29 and G30 are both subcompact? Mechtech doesn't make CCU's for any subcompact model Glocks.

3. Jamesey

Jamesey

Sizewise they are larger than the G26/27 etc. They were designed around the 10 round capacity but they are wider due to the size of the .45/10mm rounds. I believe the frames share the same width as the G20/21 frames. Length and height are closer to the G19/23 than the subcompact Glocks

4. got_metal

got_metal

Yes the frames are the same width, length however is 10 mm shorter (almost 1/2 inch) than standard compact models, according to Glock's website. Just have to wait and see what they say.

5. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

I owned one for a short while for my G19. Although it functioned well, I really didn't care for shooting it. Just listening and feeling that recoil spring in the tube my head was resting against, made it very unpleasant for me to shoot.

6. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

I imagine they just didn't see the demand.

But to answer your specific question, the locking block on the G30 is significantly different than that of the G21, and the distance between frame rails is much shorter.

7. Jamesey

Jamesey

I got a reply from Mechtech. They say the CCU "doesn't support the sub-compact design" and their engineer couldn't make the design work when they first started production. Well, I can't really argue since I obviously wasn't in on the design process. But I don't understand why the the G29/30 models are called "sub-compact" when they are closer in size to the compact G19/23 than the baby Glocks. Maybe it's the locking block/frame rails that Lindenwood mentioned. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the internal dimensions of different models