Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What would you say the correct answer is for this question. I got the correct answer, but I think the question is flawed. Let me know what you think the correct answer is. Then I will tell you what the book says it is, and what I think it should be.

·
Pinky Out
60,182 Posts
D???

The 8 inch radius doesn't matter if the handle is connected to the center of the shaft right?

·
Moved on...
10,316 Posts
b. 250

2" is 1/4 dia. of 8"

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Question is flawed. The weight is shown to be in the 2" knob. Weight seems to be outside the 8" radius, too.

Confusing illustration.

Sorry, I saw it backwards. :embarassed:

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
It could be a trick question. The answer would be B (250) if we assume that they mean to imply the force is applied at the 8 inch radius. But if that's the case, then the drawing is technically incorrect, since they show the handle positioned with a radius much larger than 8 inches. And since they show no radius measurement to the center of the handle, it's possible that 250 pounds is the answer they are looking for, even though it's sort of bogus. On the other hand, if you assume that they did NOT screw up the drawing, then 125 pounds would have to be correct, since the handle looks more like it's positioned at a 16 inch radius, and answer A is the only one that could possibly be it. Since it's not uncommon for illustrations to tests like this to be screwed up, it's hard to say. Once in a while you have to give an incorrect answer to get it "right" on a stupid test. What if the radius to the handle was 15 inches instead of 16? Can you really eyeball it that close in this drawing? Then 125 pounds would be incorrect, and so would all the other answers.

I'd have chosen A, but would still not be surprised if the teacher said B was correct, even though it couldn't be, according to the looks of the drawing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Making the assumption that the handle is approximately double the radius of the 8" disk. The answer is around 125lb or (a), averaged over one rotation.

That's how I would do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It could be a trick question. The answer would be B (250) if we assume that they mean to imply the force is applied at the 8 inch radius. But if that's the case, then the drawing is technically incorrect, since they show the handle positioned with a radius much larger than 8 inches. And since they show no radius measurement to the center of the handle, it's possible that 250 pounds is the answer they are looking for, even though it's sort of bogus. On the other hand, if you assume that they did NOT screw up the drawing, then 125 pounds would have to be correct, since the handle looks more like it's positioned at a 16 inch radius, and answer A is the only one that could possibly be it. Since it's not uncommon for illustrations to tests like this to be screwed up, it's hard to say. Once in a while you have to give an incorrect answer to get it "right" on a stupid test. What if the radius to the handle was 15 inches instead of 16? Can you really eyeball it that close in this drawing? Then 125 pounds would be incorrect, and so would all the other answers.
This was my take on it too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
And if you really want to split hairs (aka be a ******), then you also need to add the rotational mass of the assembly (the 2 disks, the shaft, and the handle/lever) to the answer. So none of them are right lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The book says that "B" is correct. Those of you who think "A" is the correct answer are technically correct, at least according to my interpretation of the drawing.

If the handle was positioned on the 8" radius, then B would be the answer. Since the handle is roughly twice the distance of the 8" radius, or 16", you can figure that A is closest to the correct answer.

Its questions like these that you have to wonder if you are supposed to answer the technically correct answer, or the answer you think they want.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not the only one seeing a flaw in the question. Thanks guys.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Hell, it took me this long to realize that the "1000#" was meant to show a weight attached to the little wheel.

Looked like a drawing note pointing to a wheel that weighed half a ton.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
The book says that "B" is correct. Those of you who think "A" is the correct answer are technically correct, at least according to my interpretation of the drawing.

If the handle was positioned on the 8" radius, then B would be the answer. Since the handle is roughly twice the distance of the 8" radius, or 16", you can figure that A is closest to the correct answer.

Its questions like these that you have to wonder if you are supposed to answer the technically correct answer, or the answer you think they want.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not the only one seeing a flaw in the question. Thanks guys.
If it was an actual test I would right that on the paper that way you are covered either way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts