Mech tech Glock carbine conversion arrived!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Cleric1stClass, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

Its finally here, I have been wanting one of these since before I owned my first Glock. Lemme tell ya, thats the most fun at the range yet, the rapid fire is twice as fast as with a pistol, its great! It was supposed to come with iron sights, but they are back ordered so I strapped the scope on off my .30-06. The sight of course was off considering I was at an indoor range at 15 yds, not 100, but I strapped those 33rd mags in it and ripped em off as fast as I could. I had one FTE due to weak WWB 115gr range ammo. The company suggest hot loads of 9mm for the bolt action to slide back, but it chewed it up. When it was cold, it had a hard to reseting the firing pin, maybe the first five rounds. I stopped bought some hornady +P because I thought it wasnt pushing the bolt back enough, but it was just that it was cold, once it warmed it, the problems went away, so I will continue to use the cheap WWB. Absolutely a great rifle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigBody

BigBody

I was there with the cleric, and shot it my self it was very nice. Ohh yeah so was his new g20

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Glad you like it....for some reason I just cant bring myself to like them.

The only thing they have going for them is they dont require an FFL, as a entire gun would.

Ugly as a HiPoint.....but over 2x the money.

I dont see any functional difference between this and a Kel Tec SUB2K - they both accept Glock mags and have similar length barrel. The KT has a one up for the folding feature.

Maybe Im missing something.....what drew you in to wanting one of these?

Im a lover of 9mm carbines, have a few already.....but not seeing the "selling" point of this thing.

4. CBennett

CBennett

Im starting to change my mind of these...don't know if its enough to drop $$300+ on it but I said the same thing first time I saw it..but now that ive seen quite a few of the 9mm Carbines..its not quite as ugly..I mean the Kel-Tec is JUST as nasty looking as is the Hi-Point the ONLY ones out of the current series of Carbines that actually looks decent is the Hi-Point WITH ATI stock and the CX4 Storm...thats it. The Mech Tech is not that bad looking after seeing them all lined up in stock form..only ones that actually stick out as being "good" looking ATI/CX4.

So you can have a cool looking gun with a 10 round mag in the ATI/Hi point combo for about $$230-250 and this actually INCLUDES sights unlike the mech tech which is VERY strange that they would essentialy sell something thats stock without sights(unless its a legality thing). or you can get the Mech Tech or the Kel Tec for about $320-400 which both will take Glock mags..kel tec folds i guess to some would be a advantage no biggie to me though but it also has stock sights STOCK..guess i just dont like HAVING to actually buy even more stiff in their sight rail or a cheap scope/red dot to even shoot the Mech tech...adding another $30+ to the initial price...

only thing that keeps me wavering on the hi point is the lack of decent mags for it. Seems its just as reliable as the other 3 just the mags suck(meaning limited to 10 rounds)

Oh and thing about the Kel Tec that sux is actually trying to find one!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah you can get it at a online auction put prepare to pay TOP dollar for it and then pay (for me not all) a extra $50 ON TOP of the almost $400 you spend for it..I have seen them for around $380 but for me the $20-25 shipping and then the $25 FFL deal = more like $430 which is not a great deal lol. If i could find the Kel tec around here(even used) id pay $350-380 straight up..but like I said you CANT find the damn things.

5. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

What I like about the mech tech is that it sits on top of a GLOCK, I can put the 33rd mags in there and it fires great. The kel-tec can too but can it be removed? I like the fact that the mech tech lower can be removed and put another pistol slide back on top. I have not done too much research on the other brands. I ASSuME they are whole guns? I dont know if those cheaper ones are conversions or if they fit glocks or what not. Sure its kind of expensive, but I love it and it shot great. As far as the sights go, I just put on my .30-06 scope and I will not be replacing that iron sights, I loved having the scope. This thing ran 350 bux. With the mag and scope on there, I think it looks sweet, thats just my opinion, but I can understand how they look ugly, its gotta grow on ya.

6. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

Oh and I can do all the trigger work on it as far as 3.5 connector, trigger spring, and ultimate trigger stop, more good points about sitting on a glock

Tell me more about those other carbines, so I can see if what I did was worth while...

7. CBennett

CBennett

Oh and I think the niceness of something like the Kel Tec is to be able to use your mags but STILL have to NOT take your firearm apart in a tactical situation to use it. I think they were really selling to police departments..you know..fold it up in the back of the car/trunk if you have a situation you need longer range take it out and you can use one of your glock mags in it...with the mech tech you would have to take your glock apart to use it..

in range /fun shooting there is no disadvantage to either.

8. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

That it true, I do like the fact that the keltec folds, but I have a rifle case for mine, so that doesnt bother me. And I think the mech tech would be a horrible idea if you only had one glock and switched back and forth between it. I have a dedicated frame for it, so it does not come off. All this is for is the range though, and that is great shooting fun for me.

9. john klein

john klein

I have one on a Glock 22 frame and it is a fun gun but it does have it's little likes and dislikes. Mine will handle mild 40 cal loads but thrives on factory loads. One thing you should be aware of is that it is a straight blow back action and the chamber needs to be cleaned frequently or the gun will fail to chamber. In a straight blow back action, the bolt begins to recoil when the round is fired and not when the bullet leaves the barrel. Combustion byeproducts are deposited into the chamber and accumulate quickly so you must keep after it. This is common to Marlin Camp Carbines and others of this type. Keep the chamber clean and have fun with it.

10. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

Good point, lots of cleaning and lubing

11. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I just have the HiPoint and the KelTec.

HiPoint

[​IMG]

Paid $170 for this gun in what is called the "Pro Pack". It comes with the firearm, all the mounts for a scope (in addition to the regular sites), sling, 3 total magazines and a buttstock magazine pouch. I added the ATI stock for $55. BSA red dot from Wal-Mart was $35. Total spent on firearm - $260.

Accurate has heck out to 50 yards (cant shoot any further dont have a rifle range). Recoil is nothing. Feed everything I gave it EXCEPT Federal Ranger HPs. They would occasionally get hung up on the feedramp. Several other HP ammunition worked fine. I fired the gun several times before adding the stock, the stock is WELL worth the money. The OEM stock made the gun feel cheap and flimsy, the ATI makes it feel FAR more solid.

Gun has to be disassembled for cleaning....so I just open the action and hit it with Break Free. Have shot thousands of rounds, no problems to date. HiPoint has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty and their customer service is said to be excellent.

Super gun for shooting on the cheap....as you can buy the regular one for $150....add ammo and your done. Or you can put a little money into it and its even better.

KelTec SUB 2000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I paid $280 for this gun, used. That price included several upgrades the previous owner already did. There is a 1" buttstock extension, picatinny rail installed under the forearm and a sling. All these are direct from KT. The add roughly $40 of value to the gun. The previous owner also sent this back to KT to have the grip cut down, it was originally a G17 version now its a G19 version. The G19 is my carry gun so this is perfect.

It has ate EVERYTHING I fed it....no failures of any kind. Accuracy is great with the irons, I can dump an entire magazine in a paper plate with ease at 50 yards. It will accept G18 33rd mags clear down to the 15rd G19 mags. Cleaning is super simple. The trigger was suprisingly good. You push a retaining pin out in the rear and the whole mechanism falls out the back.

The folding mechanism is neat as hell, this will fit in my backpack folded up. I use this in a tennis bag with a few G18 mags as my "car gun" in my wifes minivan.

The only downside to this gun Ive found is its not left friendly....and by that I dont mean the controls. The ejection port powders that heck out of you unless you break your cheekweld clear back the buttstock.

12. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

So I paid an extra 60 bux on that keltec. Not so bad, I really hadnt research much on carbines, and the mech tech was what I found, but I am definelty happy with it. Solid stock is good. I am going to purchase an Eotech for other weapons, but they are an ease to snap on and off and zero right it, that it'll go on this when it goes to the range. May even get one of those cheesy mako things for my Glock pistols to try that out. All in all, the keltec has one up that it folds, and I do like that the mech tech can be removed from the Glock lower for any reason. Its a toss up to me. Both great range weapons though

13. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Why do you like this?

To me I see a carbine that requires I take another gun out of commission for it to function, considering my Glock is my carry gun this makes it an obvious bad mark.

14. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Just one Glock? Good excuse to buy another. :)

How many Glocks pistols can you have in service at once?

I'm pretty sure that many here have a few extras gathering dust.

15. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Let's see...in the last couple of months I have shot:

- Mech-tech in Glock 9mm
    - Kel-tech in Glock 9mm
    - Ruger carbine in 9mm
    - AR in 9mm (Oly upper)
    - I've handled, but not shot the Beretta
    - A few years back, I shot the Hi-point

All of them were fun.

I kninda like the idea of the Mech-tech though, if I were to part with my money.

16. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I liked the one for the 1911 that I saw. :supergrin: Maybe one could use a free sample of Militec1 lube to see if that would loosen it up?

Send an email for your free sample to [email protected]

:thumbsup: :) ;) :banana:

Militec-1's web page

17. Cleric1stClass

Cleric1stClass Guest

I had the frame laying around, why not? I have more than one Glock, so I have 3 other pistols around if needed, 26, 24C, and a 20

18. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

Are you the one that has only one Glock? I was reading about the guy that only owned one and did not believe it. :tongueout: You owe it to yourself bud, get some more:thumbsup:

19. CBennett

CBennett

ive got only one a Glock 23 have no plans or use for another. I want a 9mm but it will probably be a FN, Hi power knock off,CZ75, or a Steyr....just dont see any reason to have more than one...too many OTHER good guns out there. I would NOT turn down a great deal on a 17/19 but it would have to be a GREAT deal. Other than that 1 is enough.

20. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Yep, only one. I likes 9mm and .45 - I bought a G19 and found it was the most perfect carry gun I have ever experienced.

I have owned a G22 and G23 before, but they didnt do anything for me.

I have plenty of other guns, 1911s, BHPs etc.....I would much rather experience a variety of guns then own 20 glocks.