Meat shortage easing up?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BBMW, Aug 6, 2020.

1. BBMW

BBMW

It was maybe two months ago I started hearing about a looming meat shortage, because of Covid related shutdowns of meat packing plants. I was able to find enough meat a decent prices to stuff my freezer before the price went up.

Fade forward, and I'm now starting to see sales. I sniped a few of them, and replaced what I used from the pre-shortage stockpile. So is this the end of the shortage? Have the meatpacking plants figured out the Covid procedures and are back to production?

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Some. Every butcher is booked till March 2021. You can buy overweight hogs for $80 300 plus lbs. if you can butcher it yourself..

snowbird.40 and FullClip like this.

3. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Meat is plentiful here. Early on during the panic buying and hoarding there was a brief shortage. But now, fully stocked. That can always change over night, but we haven't had any issues finding meat at the first store we go to.

4. CBennett

CBennett

Dont know never noticed it....till I read this id not have known we havent had a issue getting anything. Also picking up a 1/2 cow tomorrow ;) . But there was a "meat shortage"?? normally id have expected something like that to effect me(well other than price as I have no idea if its gone up wife buys the stuff :) )... I mean like Ammo right now..you cant find it really... meat though...been there on the shelf in anything you'd like to buy . see I just learned something..there was a meat "shortage" I knew nothing about ;)

5. CBennett

CBennett

I guess for about a 2 week span right around the Toilet paper and hand sanitizer shortages..say mid march-early April??? i did notice there was less...but there was less of everything back then...and I only remember it being about 2 weeks then it got back to about normal...heck we pick up stuff now all the time with $2-$3 off on it got steaks for like $3 a steak the other day ;) ...normally $6 a steak had to put them in the freezer but they worked!

Tuner Sandwich likes this.
  6. as400guy1

as400guy1

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

We didn't have a "shortage" in so much as there was plenty of meat available, just not as much of a broad selection and prices are still pretty high. I've seen $6.00 a pound 85/15 ground beef, and that's a pretty high price.

I bought 40 lbs of ground beef right before supply dwindled so we haven't been to affected. We've spent considerably more on our weekly ribeye dinner over the last few months and I still haven't seen ribeye prices come down.

I used to be a meat cutter and I know how to butcher pigs and cows, just don't have the equipment to hoist one up at my house in my suburban neighborhood. The neighbors would be aghast.

8. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

We had mostly empty meat counter and shelves during the initial scare when TP and sanitizer disappeared. It gradually came back to fully stocked shelves and butcher counters in early June, I believe.

9. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Nope. It just gets worse as you get older.

Westexas and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  10. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Wait, what?

ive said too much.

Westexas likes this.
  11. Westexas

Westexas

No meat shortages around here. Catfish is getting more expensive. No problem, that’s what I primarily fish for.

Just brought home a nice “piggy” today. Fish cleaning party this afternoon.

Out West likes this.
  12. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Meat shortage? Yeppir, but if you can catch enough fish it seems like less of a problem. Up here, it's sunfish on a fly rod, either breaded and fried or turned into ceviche.

How does catfish taste by comparison? I've never had fresh catfish, nor have I caught any, but I know it's a big deal down south.

Wish I had a freezer at the cabin because a neighbor's granddaughter is raising cattle for slaughter at a local butcher. The price is right and if it's all as good as the ground beef I got to sample, I'd jump all over a quarter or a half.

One lesson learned through this pandemic is that local butchers/meat lockers have to purchase USDA-inspected carcasses in order to cut them up, package the meat, and sell over the counter. If one orders a quarter or half, then one can get a locally-raised animal. I think there's a world of difference, but have never done any blind taste tests.

NewWaveGuy likes this.