McConnell steps up

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by redneck ron, Sep 18, 2020.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Trump already named the list from which he would pick a nominee. Unless his staff are all brain dead they will have already conferred with Trump when that list came out, vetted them all, and Trump knows right now who he will nominate. That puts the ball in Harris (er I mean Biden’s LOL) court to come up with their list of lefties.

I see no chance of anyone nominated by Trump being confirmed by the end of the year even if Trump throws out his nomination the day after RBG has been buried. The real question is what actions Trump and McConnell take are most likely to help get Trump re-elected and help the Senate keep 53 Republican seats in the next Congress. It will be interesting to see how their strategy pans out.

Bish1309 likes this.

2. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Gardner and Collins are up for reelection in blue states. Just promise them a cushy job in a Gop think tank somewhere and tell them to take one for the team. They will likely lose regardless.

And can Alaska primary Murkowski in two years please and send someone with a spine? Literally, send us a bear or a salmon or a king crab, anyone other than this spineless legacy pick. At least a bear in the Senate would make Cspan interesting.

jr24, Officer's Match and redneck ron like this.
  3. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

4. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Mcconnell only steps up when he knows he can't win so later he can say, see, I tried. We fought hard. Blah blah blah.

5. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2020
    B C, Bish1309 and Intolerant like this.
  6. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

This works out perfectly for the Dems. The discussion on Biden mental health status and his fit for the presidency has completely disappeared. Should Biden follows Ruth before the election, the "legitimacy " of Harris as the primary nominee by the Dems will not be questioned.

Ladies and Gents, that's the back door to the presidency.

7. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

The Biden Rule (also invoked by Schumer in 2007) and McConnell's actions in 2016 were both rooted in the fact that the presidency and the Senate were controlled by different parties.

Also, let's not pretend that Democrats have any reluctance at all to do whatever it takes to get their way. Harry Reid could expound on that.

jr24 likes this.
  8. G17Jake

G17Jake

What would the Democrats have done if they controlled the Senate when Justice Scalia died in 2016?

OXMYX and jr24 like this.
  9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Palin has mentioned it before. I hope to God she does it but she hasn't publicly said much since the Kavanaugh confirmation.

McConnell supported her after she voted against Kavanaugh, if she doesn't;t support this upcoming nominee, I don't think he will be in a position to support her again.

This pick can totally flip the court solidly red and any Republican that doesn't support this is nothing more than a Democrat in sheep's clothing at this point. This is an all or nothing situation.

10. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I think Gardner is 50/50.

I have talked to people (servers) in the service industry in CO (breweries). These young people are typically DEM voters. They are mad at King Polis [and dems] about the shut downs. They are saying their income is 25% to 50% of what it was pre-shut down. And CO refused to take the $300 a week from the Feds (they just started again Friday) because King Polis [illegally] transferred Fed COVID money to teachers unions and spent it.

The DEMs had to crack down on riots because it was hurting them in polls in CO.

11. grumpy1

grumpy1

And we know absolutely nothing about her views on the Second Amendment. We also need a fighter like Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas to go through the process. Those who do not remember, this is Clarence Thomas reaction to the democrat, including Joe Biden, smear of him - a "high tech lynching".

View: https://youtu.be/ZURHD5BU1o8

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Obama could have nominated a person to the seat that the Republicans would have confirmed. He ALWAYS had that option. What Obama CHOSE to do was nominate someone who the REPs wouldn't confirm because he was 200% positive that the Hillary would win. Both sides chose to throw the dice.

The REPs were in a better position to gamble. They were not likely to lose the Senate. So they had two possibilities 1) have to vote on DEM nominee (Hillary or Obama) or in the very unlikely event that Trump won 2) vote to confirm a REP nominee. So in essence the DEMs had something to lose and the REPs didnt.

Obama arrogance got in the way of logic and good game theory.

And Schumer DEMANDED that the Senate vote in an election year. The hypocrisy is with Schumer and dont let people forget that.

jr24 and Bish1309 like this.
  13. grumpy1

grumpy1

Yes, and pi**ing off her republican base certainly won't get her elected. The progressives are still angry with her over her vote for Brett Kavanaugh. Does she really believe that they will forgive her and vote for her if she votes no this time? Not a chance in hell.

B C likes this.
  14. bfg1971

bfg1971

Read his quote like a lawyer would and tell me that isn't a purely political statement. New President = someone other than Trump. He would have said after the election if that is what he meant.

B C likes this.
  15. peng

peng

Yes, I believe this is exactly true. The waiting is more for perception than vetting.

That said, I don't think there is nearly enough time here. The average is 67 days and that's with the normal sane amount of bureacratic resistance. It has happened 3 times though in less than 45 days (including Ginsburg herself). Here is a chart I found.

Capture.JPG

I think Trump should project confidence by announcing he will not nominate until next year and focus on winning the election. If there is one thing that could motivate the clueless squad this is it.

Bish1309 likes this.
  16. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I suspect there may be legal challenges regarding this election that may make it to the Supreme Court.

We can't trust Roberts to rule according to the law.

We may very well need another conservative on the court to put a stop to Democrat election shenanigans.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

robhic, GRT45, B C and 3 others like this.
  17. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

18. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

I truly doubt (could be wrong) you'd see this on the 'D' side. The 'R' side is so wussy-fied!!! How can these two old spinsters be 'R' but act like 'I' or even 'D'? Possibly they've been invaded by the spirit of McCain?

19. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Here are 3 of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse........

2CC18FC8-EEC1-44B3-92A8-108ACBA3EA4B.jpeg

They most likely will vote against Trump.

=========================

10or45 likes this.